“Fantastic Property, not sure....”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #61 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fantastic Property, not sure....”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What others are complaining about. Yes it's a brand new hotel and with new hotels come some kinks that need to be worked out, but I assume you all knew that when you booked. Yes it's trendy, but it's DC; I'd consider DC a pretty hip and trendy city.

Moving on.....

Marriott has once again, impressed me. Such a beautiful property, glass all around, sleek lines throughout the hotel, trendy lobby and bar area. The Dignitary was fantastic, love their slogan Great Minds Drink Alike.

As a lifetime platinum and current platinum premier member there was zero hassle when we checked in. I used the Marriott app on my phone to check in once we landed in DC. We arrived, picked up our keys, were thanked a bunch of times for being platinum premier and off to our room we went. The room was nice, beds were super comfortable and the bathroom was well appointed. I LOVE the walk in glass shower.

One annoyance during the 4th of July weekend was that the lounge was closed for breakfast which meant that breakfast was served in a make-shift area. I was pretty disappointed that we didn't have the usual lounge service that I've been accustomed to in the past, so we opted to eat breakfast off property.

Overall a great property, I'd definitely stay there again - no question.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hello Natasha A!
Thank you for taking the time to share how your stay at The Marriott Marquis Washington D.C. went! I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel design, mobile check-in, and food outlets. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Marriott, and hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This new property has much to offer in terms of location & the fact that it's such a large property with many places to sit in the lobby. But the "to go" room service is a fail. The take out containers are great if you are on the go but not to stay in your room & eat. Feels like I'm just feeding the landfill & wasting condiments. Please give me the choice of a plate & lighten up on the salt!!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Mono20013
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Hello Mono20013,
Thank you for taking the time to share how your recent stay with us went. We are thrilled that you appreciated our location and hotel layout. However, I am sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your room service order.
Due to feedback we have received from our guests, that typical room service takes too long, is an invasion of privacy, and is too pricey; we have established a new service for our guests, titled Dining Your Way. Dining Your Way is a program which delivers fresh meals to our guests, in a quick manner, packed conveniently for our busy guests, while still available at a fair price.
We hope to see you again soon!
Take Care,
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
San Diego
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed with my boyfriend at the Marquis over the holiday weekend for three nights and everything was perfect. The architecture inside and out of the hotel is quite impressive and it is evident that much thought went into every detail. Had access to the M lounge (Concierge Lounge) which is a great utilization of space. Very comfortable for work and play and was well stocked with drinks and snacks (not just chips and such, but healthy crudites with hummus, plums, nuts, etc). The outdoor patio at the M lounge is perfect to get some fresh air and enjoy the views of the city. Hoping next year they may consider throwing a July 4th fireworks party there. We would have gladly paid to get access for views of the fireworks from that vantage point. Due to the large volume of elite guests that weekend, breakfast was not served in the lounge, but on the mezzanine level above the lobby. I thought they did a great job executing it all inspite of the large number of people. Plenty of fresh fruit, breads and hot items. If you enjoy craft beer, the High Velocity sports restaurant/bar is a must. They have over 40 taps of various beers from around the country as well as local DC area beers. The last day we were a little lazy so for lunch we decided to try the Dining Your Way concept (a non traditional approach to room service) and couldn't have been happier. Had the organic turkey club sandwich, chicken ceaser salad, and bbq chicken flatbread and all came out perfect. I am not a mayo fan and was impressed to see that they actually remembered to hold it on the club sandwich. Just wish they had a little bit more of a "snack" selection (charcuterie, cheese plate, pita and dip, etc) for a healthy mid day energy boost or a snack for a team brain storming session. During the enitre stay we felt very welcome and all of the staff was extremely friendly and hospitable. Everything about the visit was wonderful and we can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better for greater visibility. Even the atrium facing rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Zuzana V,
Thank you so much for sharing your hotel experience with us! Our team strives to provide exemplary service to our guests. We love hearing reviews from our valued guests, so we appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again soon! Upon your next visit you may want to try our Dignitary or Anthom restaurants, which are our other great food outlets we have.
Thank you again!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Absolutely gorgeous hotel. Apparently it is the biggest hotel in Washington downtown. It is located next to the convention center. When I asked the concierge as to why they did not have a pool, the answer was that Marriott did some research and most business travelers did not use a pool but instead the fitness center. So hence no pool but a really huge and impressive gym. However I did miss not being able to swim to relax. As for location. It is not bad however I would have preferred to be closer to the heart of downtown, this hotel seems to be more at the edge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue L
Hello Sue L,
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are very proud of our fitness center, which is 8000 sq feet full of state of the art athletic machines. We hope to see you again in the near future! Upon your next visit I suggest winding down with a snack or beverage in our Lobby Lounge, or one of our other food outlets. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us!
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here June 30 - July 2 and there are a few noticeable improvements that can be made. First, my room had no hairdryer. They brought one up right away. Also, it would be nice to have a clock in the room. The hand wash container was nearly empty. The lamp on the desk didn't work for the first night but on the second night, it suddenly worked. I turned the fan to OFF but it continued to blow right where the pillows lay so that your head gets blasted with air all night. I had to fully direct the girl at the concierge desk how to input the info that I wanted into the WMATA trip planner system.

I really liked that my room was internal and had a view of the lobby - this eliminated all of the traffic noise at night. The fitness facility was very impressive.

Room Tip: Internal room will eliminate traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cgerk
Hello Cgerk,
Thank you for taking the time to discuss your recent hotel visit. Our hotel aims to continually improve and progress, so we greatly appreciate this valuable feedback. I will take the points you shared, and use these as training opportunities for our team. We thank you again, and sincerely hope to see you again in the future!
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I believe everything was really good. But there is one thing that needs improvement.
Valet parking.
Different ceremonies are held in the convention center of the hotel. If you arrive in a busy time, (like us) you must spend a lot of time in the line up. Also it will take a lot of time to get your car back :)
I definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello KS,
I was pleased to hear your recent stay with us went well! Thank you for your feedback, I will discuss this issue with our team. We are certainly happy to have had you stay at or property, and hope to see you again in the near future.
Thank you!
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this Marriott. My traveling partner was in a wheelchair and the staff was very
helpful in assisting us with luggage, taxis, food service, and car parking. The lobby is huge and offers
free wifi while it will cost you in a room. The views are very nice of the city, and the drapes keep the
sun out early in the morning. The metro is only 2 blocks away and the hotel will whistle a taxis for you
quickly 24 hours a day. Our room was nice in size, had coffee and tea selections for daily use and the
shower and shampoo were great. Maps are available in the lobby along with a free copy of the USA
newspaper and/or the Washington Post. I walked to most attractions in 20 minutes or less including the
White House. Good local food is 4 blocks away in Chinatown, and Dupont Circle has a place called
Zorbba's that makes good pizza. ChopIt makes excellent fresh salads. Local coffee shops are everywhere. My biggest issue was the price to park your car overnight-check rate first. Nice staff and
I recommend this hotel to families, business people, vacationers too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 11th floor with an outside view. Stay away from the elevator. Walls were good...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Mike_Horowitz, Assistant Front Office Manager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hi Coachlavery,
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to discover some of the gems in the local DC area. Come back and see us again soon!