“Absolutely wonderful!!”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #62 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We were forced to stay here after our original hotel (Omni Shoreham) overbooked and had to move us. From the moment we arrived they were very accommodating and had a room ready for us right away. The room was gorgeous and spacious and so clean!! The location was so convenient, just a five minute walk to the metro station (which then took about less than 10 minutes to get us to the Smithsonian/National Mall). Everyone was so nice and helpful. The only complaint I have is the service in the restaurants. We ate dinner one night in High Velocity and breakfast the next morning in Anthem. In both restaurants, the service was slow. We had to wait about 20 minutes after we finished eating for our check, which was bothersome considering we wanted to get our day started. I actually had to get up and ask the hostess to find our waiter to give us the check. But regardless, still such a wonderful stay!!! It's only about two months old and I hope that it stays this beautiful because if we return to DC, we will only stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rtrethaway
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Hello Rtrethaway!
What a pleasure it was to read about your positive experience! W are glad to have had the opportunity to serve you. Our property certainly is located in a central location in the city, and we are glad you had an easy time navigating around.
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your restaurant service, I will be sure to forward this to our Food & Beverage department, so we may use this as a learning experience going forward.
Take Care!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for business. My husband had training's downstairs in the convention rooms all day and I just played tourist. :) The room was very nice the only bad thing was the phone reception in our room was horrible!!! The hotel was in walking distance of China town and a lot of nice restaurants and stores. The Starbucks they had in the hotel had wonderful staff and made excellent coffees. My husband loved the bar they had downstairs. The sitting areas were very nice to enjoy my coffee and read. They kept the lobby area VERY cold. I was a little disappointed it didn't have a pool or hot tub but the work out room was HUGE!! It is 2 levels and has every sort of machine you could imagine...very impressive!! We would stay there again while on business but if it was for a family vacation or for pleasure we would look for a hotel with a pool.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hi Alicialn06,
What a pleasure it was to house you and your husband recently! As a convention hotel, we love providing memorable experiences for our attending guests. I'm pleased to see that you were able to venture around the area while your husband was attending his trainings. If business ever brings you back to D.C., we hope that you will choose to stay with us again. I would also suggest speaking with our concierge in the lobby area, to hear about additional adventures you may like to take a part of.
Take Care!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We chose this hotel based on the size of the room, the shower-only bathroom and based on the name. I did my research before booking, so I knew what others had to stay and knew what to expect.

The Good:
-Employees were nice, everyone welcomed us and held conversations with us (at the front desk, in the elevator, etc.)
-I asked for a street view room based on other reviews and I was happy with that because the atrium was rather dark due to lack of sun outside.
-Room was spacious, it was the smallest room we've ever stayed it was cozy; don't think I could have stayed in a smaller room like other DC hotels.
-Lighting in the bathroom was great.
-The Fitness Center (24hrs) is awesome, OMG, it's two floors of great equipment. People complain about the lack of a pool but there gym makes up for it, big time. My husband loved it.
-We did not have any problems with cellphone service unlike other reviewers.

The Bad:
-The room was not properly cleaned upon arrival. For a new hotel, I was rather shocked to see so many scuffs on the wall, makeup stains on the bathroom doorway and a chuck of the closet door chipped off. My husband opened a drawer and there were discarded clothing store tags and crumbs all over. The toilet was not properly cleaned and the towel in the shower smelled like dirty laundry. (This was improved the next two days, everything was cleaned nicely).
-There is only one towel hook very close to the toilet, there wasn't enough space for us to hang both towels.
-The bathroom door does not have a lock and their is a small gap between the wall and the door, so if someone stands at a certain angle they can see everything reflected in the mirror.
-Every time someone flushed their toilet ours would make a noise, this took some getting used to the first night.
-Sometimes, the water took a while to heat up.
-We ate at Anthem for breakfast Saturday and Sunday and I'll be honest it seemed a little too greasy to us. The eggs seemed to be cooked in melted butter and just tasted like butter and nothing else. The hash browns were really greasy. But no complaints on the service.
-If you want bottled water or snacks, I would suggest you go to the CVS on the next block, of course, the Gift Shop will be overpriced.

Overall, it wasn't a bad stay. No complaints about the elevators, we didn't have to wait long at all. We did have an issue with valet when leaving, their system was down one day and we were properly charged and when we checked out we weren't told about that. When we went to get our car, we had to go to the valet cashier and clear everything up before we could get our car, which took some time. Apparently, we could have called in advance to get our car faster.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Asg845,
Our hotel strives to provide every guest with a brilliant hotel stay. We were pleased to see that you approved of our service, and of our fitness center. I agree that our 8,000 square feet fitness center is a hidden gem within D.C.
However a few of your comments concern me. Please feel free to email me regarding the cleanliness issues you shared. We greatly appreciate guest feedback, as we aim to continually fulfill our guests' needs.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

As a Marriott Platinum member, I have stayed at a lot of properties, and this was one of the best. Surprisingly few for a new hotel. Concierge Lounge was one of the best I have seen, with the friendliest and most helpful staff. The staff at the Concierge Station downstairs could use a lot more experience. Warning: If you get a room on the Mass Ave side, you will hear constant whistling for cabs, until 10-11 every night. Try for one overlooking atrium.

Room Tip: Ask for atrium view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hello TheFoodLegend,
Thank you for taking the time to share how your experience at our property went! I would also like to thank you for your continued loyalty to the Marriott brand. We are glad you were able to visit our M Club Lounge, and are happy to see you were pleased with your service while there.
We appreciate your suggestion for our concierge, we will certainly use this as a learning opportunity for our team.
Within our property we do have a few options for guest room views, but I agree that our atrium facing rooms provide a gorgeous and unique experience. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a wonderful stay at this absolutely gorgeous hotel. As a Platinum Member as I have stayed in a number of Marriott properties and this one is at the top of the list. The Concierge Lounge is great and the staff was very helpful. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hello Ron S,
Thank you for sharing how your recent stay with us went! Our team strives to create memorable experiences for all of our guests, so we are happy this was the case for you. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott, we certainly appreciate our valued guests.
It's been a pleasure assisting you, and we look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit, at our M Club Lounge!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

You can't beat a brand new hotel. Only opened a few months ago, and I can see the employees are fresh off of their training. The front desk manager was helpful, however when they combined two separate hotel reservations (first day on one, and second & third day on the other), magically the price went up. I didn't notice it until I got home. I will call for a refund. Location is great. China town is around the corner. The National mall due south for a 15 minute walk. Parking is expensive at $45 per night. There was a large stain on the carpet in the room next to the bed, you would not expect this from a name brand hotel that is brand new. There were some other cleanliness deficiencies. Another negative factor, is there is no pool or hot-tub. I drove five hours to get there, and boy my back needed a hot-tub. Basically I don't stay at hotels without at least a pool, however, this was the only hotel I could get around the area for the fourth of July celebration.

Room Tip: There are rooms that face the outside, and room that face in inside court, so request the one you wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Hello InvisibleSecretAgent,
We are pleased to see that you were impressed with our staff! However, I would like to speak to you further about a few of the points you mentioned. If you have not already spoken to someone regarding this situation, please email me so we can discuss the rate changes which concerned you. I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope to see you again for your next stay in Washington D.C.!

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel in an area that really needs it, but I won't be staying again. Why? There was no cell service in my room, and their was no shuttle service from airport to hotel so need to do take train service at airport but there was taxi service did not want to take a chance that it was going to be expensive.
When I got to the hotel when I ask for the Internet service they said there was a fee !! What u said !!! Its not complimentary with the stay. Very disappointed. If I know this ahead of time I would choose a different hotel. And even the cheap hotel gives you that option with your stay. I don't think I would stay their again so people read first before you book with this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank T D

Hello T D,
I'm sorry to hear you weren't completely satisfied with your hotel stay. To get to our property from the airport our guests may use either taxi or public transit.
We do offer WIFI complimentary for our guests in our lobby and public areas. WIFI is also available in guest rooms for an additional charge. If you would like to look into those options further, I suggest looking through our hotel information through Marriott online. If you need assitance with this, or have further questions, please feel free to reach out to me.