“Priceline Price YES! Valet Cost NO!!!!!”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Priceline Price YES! Valet Cost NO!!!!!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Got this hotel for an excellent $95 on Priceline in early August, though the additional costs I'll incur by the end of my stay will make it a bit less of a value.

First of all, yes, $45 + tax for valet parking. Seeing no reasonable alternatives in the area, I took it. So, now I'm in a $150 room. The valet was very friendly, but a bit of a bull in a chinashop, almost dumping some of my belongings while pulling my bag out. Like many hotels, the outdoor and indoor staff are separate, which is fine, except that the outdoor guy just left my bags on the cart in the middle of the lobby, 20 yards from registration - rather than making sure he gave it to the bell captain inside to watch over while I checked in. Very easy for someone passing through the huge atrium entry to grab my computer and be on their way. I went and pulled my bags off the cart and took them to registration with me.

The registration desk was circular rather than linear, which looked cool but made it difficult to figure out which person to go to. I imagine when the hotel is busy the registration could get quite chaotic. The woman who checked me in came from behind the desk to get my attention and was great. Very welcoming, and gave me the double-double room I wanted rather than the king with no problem.

The hotel is brand new so the rooms are nice and reasonably spacious for a conference hotel. Comfortable beds, flat screen TV, club chair with ottoman, nice desk space, coffee maker. No complaints with any of that.

Outside the room the hotel has nice bars and restaurants in the hotel, but $19 for 2 eggs, meat and potato in the lobby restaurant - obviously a hotel designed for people not paying their own expenses. It is by the convention center after all. Fortunately, you're just a couple of blocks from (the modest by NY/SF standards) "Chinatown" where you can find places to eat and the coolest Walgreen I've ever been in.

Free wi-fi in lobby, $13/night in room.

If I could just find a way to avoid the $50+ valet charge, this would have been a 4 star stay for me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hello David Y,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! Our lobby floor is designed to make our guests feel comfortable, and welcomed into our property. We were pleased to see that you had the opportunity to try our Anthem restaurant, and were able to sightsee around D.C. Upon your next visit, feel free to try one of our other four restaurant outlets.
Lauren Murphy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We did a quick overnight stay in DC and were pleasantly surprised by the newest Marriott in town.
Being a Saturday, the hotel was not hopping with conventioneers (the Convention center is right across the street). During a busier time, it would be interesting to see how the property handles it.
Our room was great. As Marriott Gold members, we scored room on the M club floor and the lounge was a definite cut above most. Neat selection of "old school" candies, lots of beverage choices and a very nice breakfast offering. The hotel being new was sparkling and room amenities nice. We took a nearby subway to the Nats game (very convenient on the Green line). The hotel has a good vibe and activity late at night which gives some good options to going out after midnight, The neighborhood borders Penn Quarter, Mount Vernon Square and Shaw areas, and that gives some great restaurant options as well as a short walk to the Verizon Center.

We'll be back for more weekend getaways!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello OutsideShot,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay with us! I am glad you had the opportunity to visit the M Club Lounge, and take advantage of some of the snacks offered. We look forward to seeing you again soon for another weekend getaway!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Marriotte Marquis Washington, DC was just beautifuly renovated, and had open a couple months prior to our arrival the last weekend of July, from the greeting at the front door out of my taxi, to me losing my wallet in that taxi and Security (Terrell) looking at footage to help me retrieve it, accommodating our every need, making us very comfortable for three days. Considering there was a BIG basketball tournament, our Family reunion of 218 people, and an wedding, the service was remarkable, no hassels anywhere, didn't even seem crowded. The bed was comfortable, the room and bathrooms are clean, the lobby is a great area to mix & mingle, even had an outside area/restaurant in the front to hang out, it was a great weekend with Family & Friends. The Metro is a block and a half around the corner, the hotel is
a 10 minute taxi ride from Ronald Regan airport.

Room Tip: Inside rooms looking down at the lobby, or outside facing the front of the hotel is very scenic, I h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brownie63MA
Hello Brownie63MA,
What a pleasure it was to see your review of your recent stay! We are so appreciative the Brinson Family chose to stay with us for your reunion. Our team strives to help each of our guests feel comfortable and have a pleasant experience, so we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon, maybe for another family reunion!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 4 August 2014

New hotel, comfy modern rooms, trendy lobby (for a large hotel), great service from check-in who escorted us to elevator. But truth is the hotel is boring and not what I expected of a "Marquis" property. It's essentially an extension of the convention center across the street and provides no luxuries for people on actual vacation. Loads of meeting rooms everywhere, no pool, no spa/sauna, no rooftop, not much in the neighborhood except offices. If coming for a convention and want to be nearby, stay here. If you want to experience the city or get relaxation in, there are much better places.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Mco625,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We were pleased to see this stay went smoothly for you, and that you had a good experience with our front desk team.
However, I am very sorry you were not completely satisfied with the amenities our property offers. We are indeed a great option for convention guests, but we trully strive to create memorable experiences for all of our guests. Within our hotel we do have five different restaurant outlets and a gift shop on our ground floor. We also have an 8000 sq ft fitness center, filled with new state of the art machines. Our property is also located within walking distance to Chinatown as well as many other attractions within the DC area.
We hope to see you again soon!
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed there for 4 nights in July, while on business. Beautiful new facility, comfy beds, staff was very helpful. My only complaint was lack of cell phone service in the rooms (I was on an interior room that overlooks the atrium/lobby...maybe cell phone service connects better if you have an exterior room???). This was a real hassle, having to plan my phone calls while I was in the lobby area. I would periodically get text messages while in the room, but couldn't count on it. Others in my group also were bothered by it, when family couldn't necessarily get a hold of us, etc. Other than that, it's a beautiful hotel, GREAT location, etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank crawfordsgk
Hello Crawforsgk,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We were very pleased to hear about how you had a pleasant stay with us. However, I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties with your cell phone service. Currently AT&T is the only provider with the rights to have cellular towers in the area. We have been working diligently with AT&T and other providers to ensure that our guests will have a superb cell connection in the future. We hope to see you again soon, and thank you again for sharing your thoughts!
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We spent one night here this weekend. The room is beautiful and bed etc comfy. If you fly in to Reagan airport you can take the airport shuttle to terminal c. Go upstairs and follow walkway to the metro. Buy your ticket at the machine for 3.20 on weekends and take the yellow line to Mt Vernon final destination states Fort Toth. When you go up the escalator go outside turn right go down to corner turn right go to next corner and turn left hotel is on you right hand side. Elizabeth at the concierge was very helpful. We took the hop on hop off bus and highly recommend it. We did the red and yellow loop first day. So much to see and do so bring good walking shoes. All monuments etc are free entrance. Spent time at Aerostar museum really cool. We had dinner at Bobby Vans steak house. Excellent steak and a wonderful evening. I would recommend this hotel as the price was right and we could walk to or take the bus to wherever we wanted to go. Staff are very helpful and friendly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy D
Hello Cathy D,
What a pleasure it was to read your recent review of our property! You are indeed correct that accessing the Ronald Reagan airport via the Metro is very convenient and affordable. We were also pleased to see that our concierge, with Elizabeth in particular, were able to assist you.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to see you again soon!
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Every beautiful hotel, in the center of down town. Staff friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and had a great view. Only complaint is the bar and sports bar will add extra charges to your card, watch account.

• Stayed July 2014
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Hello Talk32,
We were pleased to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Our staff strives to create memorable experiences for all of our guests, so I'm glad this was the case for you.
If you would like to speak to me further about your pending charges from High Velocity, please feel free to email me.
We hope to see you again soon!
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com