“Disappointed Stay”

Ranked #61 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
USA
“Disappointed Stay”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We choose the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Washington DC for our 4th of July vacation. Hotel is joined to the convention center and has easy access to the DC Metro and a block away from China town.

Upon check-in we were told the M Club was not open this weekend do to the 4th of July Holiday, we even received a letter in our room stating the club was closed. Since it was closed we could call down to the front desk for bottle water. Come to find out the club was open for minor things like water and soft drinks.

The hotel markets the M Club as new state of the art. The room and balcony were very nice, however the food and service was nothing special it’s just like all the other Marriott lounges.

The Room/Maid service was terrible, our room was not cleaned the day, we asked for extra towels since we had 4 people in the room, and they only provide 3 towels. I had to call the front desk or find a maid for additional towels every day.

Hallways were not very clean, food trays and trash would sit in hallways all day. Someone spilled a drink in the elevator which made it very sticky, I notified front desk and it still a mess 12 hours later.

Hotel is pretty and new however I would not stay here again.

FYI Hotel does NOT have a pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Dgfriday
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello Dgfriday,
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your 4th of July celebration with us! We certainly value our Elite members, and were happy to extend our complimentary breakfast option during this holiday weekend. Our M Club Lounge is an exclusive lounge for our Elite members which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again! If you do choose to book another reservation, please feel free to email me so I can ensure you have a brilliant stay.
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

First impression is the wonderful attentive service by everyone I came across, from the reception desk, to the concierge lounge. Receptionist came out from behind the desk to greet me as I was approaching and offered assistance. Rooms are nice size, clean, bed very comfortable, adequate drawer and closet space. Bathrooms comfortable (no bathtub in my room); would have liked a shaving mirror. Lobby a bit noisy; could use more seating. Other minor criticism: no "healthy" cereal option in concierge lounge for breakfast. My ATT phone worked perfectly.

1 Thank BlackPlace
Hello BlackPlace,

Thank you for taking the time to review how your recent stay with us went! We strive to create pleasant experiences for all of our guests, and are thrilled this was the case for you. I would also like to thank you for the M Club Lounge recommendation, I will definitely forward this to our Food & Beverage team. We hope to see you again soon!
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is amazing. I was skeptical after reading other reviews online. I am glad I did not take heed to the advice of nay-sayers.

We arrived around 4 (check-in time is 3) for check-in, however our room wasn't ready. This was slightly inconvenient because we were tired from traveling but the reason for delay was due to the fact that we have allergies in our party so the staff was ensuring accuracy in cleaning to accommodate our families, needs. We were informed this is because when special concerns are raised a manager checks over before allowing the guest to check-in. So, thank you Marriott for going above and beyond to ensure our safety and a pleasant stay.

The hotel manager personally assured us the room would be ready soon and sent us on our way to the sports bar (in the hotel). The sports bar was immaculate. There were plenty of tvs and a menu to fit all tastes in our party.

All staff from cleaning all the way to management was exemplary. We truly did not meet a single employee that was unkind or didn't love their job or their city. Everyone was kind. Everyone went above and beyond to please their guests.

There were hiccups here and there because this is a new hotel and there is a learning curve, but overall they were nothing to post about, as all 'problems' were insignificant.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is brand new and beautiful and the staff makes it complete.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank U3326OTmariam
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hello Maria M,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay with us! The Marriott Marquis Washington DC has a strong focus on customer service, so we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We would also like to thank you for your patience, regarding the rooming situation.
It was our pleasure to have you, and we hope to see you again soon!
Take Care!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Recently stayed at the new Marriott Marquis to attend a convention and I was thoroughly pleased with the quality of the accommodations and the level of service. The hotel is very new and had that "new hotel" aroma - fresh carpeting, paint, furnishings, etc. Staff in the reception area were very welcoming and pleasant and were at the top of their game in welcoming me and other travelers. My room was very spacious and comfortable, offering a nice view of the open atrium. While I would have preferred a view of the Mt. Vernon street side (being a Gold Rewards member), the room was very nice and comfortable.

The concierge lounge (M Club) was spectacular- good quality breakfast with a nice variety of afternoon snacks and a nice hors d'oeuvres in the evening. The lounge was spacious and comfortable, especially since I found myself there for the better part of a day doing work on an important proposal for work.

A couple of things which, I'm sure are a part of the "breaking in period"- my room was not serviced until late in the afternoon (past 3:30 pm). Could be the need to organize/schedule housekeeping more efficiently. Also had lunch at High Velocity restaurant in the hotel. The beef satay salad was just fair; beef was overcooked and dry and the some of the salad greens were not fresh. Service was also a bit on the slow side (restaurant was not full at the time).

All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the new Marriott Marquis. It's location is very convenient to the convention center, area restaurants (Chinatown, included), and the Metro. Staff are welcoming, hospitable, and pleasant. The rooms are very nice and spacious and the M Club Lounge offers a nice oasis for work, socializing, or just as a quiet spot during the day. I am definitely looking forward to visiting again!

2 Thank TMP826
Hello TMP826,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay with us! Our team works diligently to ensure our guests all have a brilliant stay. I agree that the M Club Lounge is a great addition to our property, and we are thrilled you had the opportunity to visit it.
Thank you for your feedback! We are continually looking to improve our service, so we very much appreciate your comments. We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay!
Peoria, AZ, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is a beautiful hotel connected to the convention center via an underground walkway. There are many nice elements, and the staff were wonderful and helpful. I felt the staff treated me very well.
If you are a Verizon customer, don't expect to be able to use your cell phone in your room. It does not work well at all in this hotel, so be prepared for that. I would hope that the Marriott owners would work out some kind of arrangement with Verizon to boost the signal in the hotel since so many people are Verizon customers.
The gym was really nice, open 24hrs.
There were a lot of great things about this hotel, however I always leave hotels like this feeling I have paid too much and received too little. Internet in the room costs extra, the restaurants are overpriced, the usual. At least it has a Starbucks.

1 Thank ladonnal898
Hello Ladonna L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! Our property strives to create memorable experiences for our guests, so we are thrilled you had a pleasant stay with us!
Within our property we do have complimentary WIFI for our guests within our lobby area.
We apologize you had a difficult time receiving cellular service within our property. Currently AT&T is the only provider with the rights to have cellular towers in the area. We have been working diligently with AT&T and other providers to ensure that our guests will have a superb cell connection in the future. We hope to see you again soon, and thank you again for sharing your thoughts!

Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a very new venue, very attractive and futuristic in appearance. It's connected to the Convention Center and is thus very convenient if you have meetings there. The restaurant is adequate for breakfast and lunch but closed for supper, at which point the sports bar and lobby bar open and one choses between the typical sports bar with blaring TVs and a high decibel din or the lobby bar with food brought to small table surrounded by people on their various electronic devices, so the ambience is not the best for either. A number of restaurants are within walking distance, but the neighborhood east of 7th street is not the best, so go south on 9th or 11th. If you drive you can only choose valet parking at $53 per night, which is excessive even for DC. Staff members are friendly and helpful for the most part. Rooms are nice, some facing the atrium, but rooms were soundproof, and some facing outside. Our room was a long walk from the elevator. The workout area was two levels and quite complete with all kinds of cardio and weight options. The shower in our room was superb. They are working out some kinks, so for example the fire alarm went off at about 9:30 pm and went on for a few minutes before they announced it was a mistake. Overall very attractive, but too long a walk from some DC attractions except Chinatown, which has all but disappeared. I would not stay there again on my many trips to DC unless I had another convention at the center.

Room Tip: If I had to do it again I'd have requested a room with a city view to see what the weather was d...
1 Thank John L
Hello John L,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Our property is a convenient location for our convention guests, but we do strive to create brilliant experiences for all of our guests. Within our property we do have five different food outlets, to match all of our guests individualized needs and wants.
Our location is quite close to many museums, and is within a few minutes walk to the train line. We apologize for the alarm going off, we certainly understand this would be a frustrating situation. Hopefully we will see you again soon, whether for a convention or otherwise! Please feel free to email if you would like to further discuss you stay.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was in DC to visit family and decided to stay downtown. Great location and accessible to various sites. Rooms are spacious, bathrooms are wonderful with a great shower. I'm a person that falls asleep with a tv a love the fact that hotels have movie channels, this one only had HBO oh well. Service was pretty good. Food is okay. What I did not like was that parking cost $50 and that it could take up to 15 minutes to retrieve your car. Has potential to be great especially for a Marquis but needs some work.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheryl T
Hello Sheryl T,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We feel honored that you chose to stay with us while visiting your family in DC. What a pleasure it was to hear how you enjoyed your time at our property. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Take Care!