“Great piano, weak drinks”

Mr. Smith's of Georgetown
Ranked #779 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Georgetown
Description: Welcome to Mr. Smith's of Georgetown, the friendliest saloon in town! Located in the heart of the historic district, our restaurant, lounge and piano bar has been serving up only the best since 1965. As you enter you will see an Antique Bar with several patrons being served and entertained by one of our friendly bartenders. Also, check out the Sing-a-Long Piano Bar with live shows four nights a week. We offer a daily Happy Hour from 4 to 7 pm, seven days a week. We also offer a full menu of salads, steaks, pasta and seafood entrees, as well as weekend brunch & Bottomless Champagne every Saturday & Sunday. Our homemade food at reasonable prices, served in a casual atmosphere with excellent service, has made us a favorite for 50 years. Visit our website for a schedule of events and specials, then come by Mr. Smith's of Georgetown today!
Dayton, Ohio
“Great piano, weak drinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Mr. Smith's is unique in Georgetown because it is unpretentious. I was very excited to try Mr. Smith's; they had some good drink specials (some $5 shots/drinks and a $3.25 beer of the month). The drinks were weak, certainly not worth my money. If/when I return, I'll stick to beer. I ordered the chicken fingers appetizer, which was nothing special (standard frozen chicken fingers) and a bad value (4 for $9.99). The redeeming quality of this establishment is absolutely the piano man, who kept the tunes and jokes flowing all night. He took our request even though he didn't have the music for it, and he played it from my friends phone. Props to Austin the piano man! I'll return to Mr. Smith's for the good atmosphere and music, not the food and cocktails.

Boston
“Went for the piano man......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We headed over on the recommendation of the concierge at the Willard, who described it perfectly. Loud enough to have trouble talking, but good piano player who was talented and professional. He came on at 10pm Saturday night, and we stayed through almost two sets. A broad range of favorites, and a good crowd. Beer menu not extensive, but adequate. As described, if you want to have fun with the music it is a great place. Shorts, jeans, chinos and even a bachelorette party were there last night.

Don't know anything about the food. But would go back for the Piano Man if we were in town for the weekend.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Wide variety on the menu, great food, reasonable prices! Bar in front and nice garden area in the back.

Visited June 2014
Perth, Australia
“Poor Cosmopolitan”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I found this place to be unimpressive. I had the worst Cosmo I ever tasted there. I don't even think they put Cranberry juice in it, probably just flavoured vodka. My companion had a foreign object floating in his beer...

We decided not to eat there after that. So many other nice places in the vicinity to eat and drink at.

New York City, New York
“Twenty-five years of great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

As the title says, I have been eating at Mr. Smith's for about 25 years -- both at the Georgetown location and at the now-closed Tyson's Corner location. Aside from a few beers and their delicious onion rings, I don't think I have ever ordered any food except but a Smith burger or a garden burger. Why mess with perfection? Their burgers and garden burgers are the standard by which I judge those from any other restaurant -- as well as my own. The cottage fries are to die for, and I wish I knew what was in the tasty cucumber sauce that comes with the garden burger. I love eating last the slide of orange they give you on the side.

We have since moved from Washington to New York, but I cannot take a trip back without having lunch in their beautiful and comfortable courtyard. Go in for a late lunch, say 2-3 pm, and you could have nearly the whole place to yourself.

Thanks, Mr. Smith's! I am looking forward to the next trip.

• Visited December 2013