“Enough room to spread out, great service and close to the metro.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of AKA White House

AKA White House
Ranked #26 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“Enough room to spread out, great service and close to the metro.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We are just finishing up a nine night stay at AKA White House. It has been a true pleasure being here. The two bedroom suite gave us ample room to spread out. It was quiet night and day. It was wonderful to have separate bedrooms so my teen son had his privacy and my hysband and I had ours. I did find it strange that the master bedroom had a smaller bed than the other room. It was a walk of several blocks to the nearest grocery store but the metro was only a block away. The staff greated us by name every time we came in and out. I felt very safe. The room had free wi-fi. There was dishwasher detergent and laundry soap provided. The washer and dryer were small but it was so convenient to have. We will definately stay here again if we make it back this way.

• Stayed April 2012
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and enjoyed the amenities in the suite with your family, as well as the proximity of our location. Washington D.C. has so many wonderful things to offer and we are so glad you found our property as one of them! We hope that you will be able to lodge with us again in the near future!

AKA White House Management
888.aka.0210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
Suva
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed here in Oct 2011 on our way out of the country. We'd had a okay stay (other than the window blinds that kept falling on us) at their sister property while on our way back into the country a few years ago and I figured we'd try their other location. I tend to stay true to the brands that I find that I like. However, the stay here was not the same. While we were there they were building what looked to be a very nice and spacious bar area. However, we didnt get to enjoy it since it was just being built.

I found the staff to be really nice, most of them. There was a female manager there (very trendy dresser, sharp hair cut but can't remember her name) who was really nice and did work with me to work out a mis-communication about parking. The location is great though.

I traveled with an elderly relative, husband and son. Our first room while lovely, had mold growing out of control in the bathroom ceiling and walls. It had a very strong old smell to it. I promptly brought this to their attention and they moved us.

We got to our new room and again while lovely and stylish, it had a old moldy smell to it as well. The laundry area was wet and did not appear to have been cleaned after the last guest. The microwave in the kitchen didnt work. The guy came to replace it with one that also didnt work. He didnt even try it out. We didnt have a very long stay and my relative was leaving the next day so we figured we'd just deal with it.

The parking is not ideal if you are parking challanged. The spaces are very small and the turns are tight. I had a medium sized Honda but was nervous parking each time we went in and out. We'd been told by the NY office that parking was including just like at the location in Va. However, upon check in I found out differently. As mentioned above the very nice female manager fixed things for me and the problem was resolved.

The breakfast coffee was alittle sparse and I couldnt get the times right for when they had it. the property had a roof top but from what we could tell you had to take a circuitous route to get there. It was not easy to access at all.

We will be back in the area for two months in the fall and are looking for a place. I dont know that I would stay here again. The property seems like a good idea but there are still alot of quality issues that need to be addressed. i.e checking a room before it is rented out to ensure you don't have a forest of mold growing in it. Front desk staff better equipped to advise what is around the property i.e. for eating, etc. I like the AKA brand and their premise but I think there should be alittle more attention to quality assurance of their product and ensuring all staff are aware of what property has what amenity.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank 1Solshine
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel is very centrally located by the McPherson Square subway station and two blocks from the White House. The rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. They accept federal government per diem for longer stays, so if you need to be in DC for several weeks, this is an ideal spot. Having a fully functioning kitchen and washer/dryer in unit can make a long stay much more pleasant. There was a lot of renovation going on when we stayed here in May, so that was a bit inconvenient. The business center could also use some updating (the scanner and printer were not working at the time). All in all, however, this was a very good choice.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback! Your satisfaction is our priority! I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our suite amenities. We are currently working on getting our business center updated in the next few months. Your patronage is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again during your next visit!

AKA White House Management
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed 6 nights. My one-bedroom suite had everything in the kitchen, plus a washer and clothes dryer. The rooms are just like small apartments, with a flat screen tv in the bedroom and one in the living room. Staff is friendly and very helpful, and the rooms are large, clean and quiet. Plus, I stocked the refrigerator and ate breakfast in my room each day, and brought back half of my large restaurant meals for dinner or lunch the next day. Also, the price is competitive with other hotels that don't offer as much. I will definitely stay there again. A block away from the Metro, and very close to the actual White House.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JaniceG1950
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the amenities in the suite, as well as the proximity of our location. D.C. has so many wonderful things to offer and we are so glad you found our property as one of them! We are glad you enjoyed your stay during your time in the city and look forward to assisting with lodging accommodations upon your return.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

AKA white house is an appartment hotel with the sevice of a luxury hotel.
We had a sitting room and a sleeping room and a very well equiped kitchen. sacious and very clean and luxury.
Good big beds and no noise from outside.
There is a car parking and it is near a metro station and on walking distance of the white house and the memorials in the mall.
Why book a hotelroom if you can book a luxury appartment for the same price and with the same service. There are a few good restaurants in the neighbourhood and with the circular bus you are witin 10 minutes in Georgetown. Good quality/price level.

Room Tip: the corner rooms have windows on two sides an are very bright
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Maartje J
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We appreciate your recognition of one of our top standards: luxury. Every element of the suite is carefully picked to ensure each guest enjoys the feeling of luxury at a competitive cost. We are so happy to have been able to provide a serene place for you to relax after a day of exploring this wonderful city. We are glad you enjoyed your stay during your time in the city and look forward to assisting with lodging accommodations upon your return.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, especially after I had read a kind of negative review. The hotel was clean, the staff was excellent and extremely helpful. This was my first time traveling alone and I never felt safer. The room was more than i could have imagined and it was hard to leave. It felt like home away from home. I look forward to my next trip to Washington, DC and especially my next stay at the AKA White House. The only negative would be is that they don't clean your tub every day if you are not staying longer than 7 days.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We are very ecstatic that you decided to give AKA a chance and proved the negative review wrong! In our eyes, there is nothing better than the feeling of comfort and safety. We are glad you enjoyed your stay during your time in the city and look forward to assisting with lodging accommodations upon your return.
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed here as a family of 5, and we could not have been happier with our choice. We went to Washington to see the monuments, public buildings, Smithsonians and Arlington, and this extended stay style hotel allowed us to do alll of that in a relaxed way. Strong positives:
* great location - in the 'Golden Triangle' and an way walk to Farragut West metro
* spacious, well appointed rooms with a compact, full kitchen, washer/dryer in the apartment, 2bathrooms, and 3 TVs (it stops a 'my turn argument'!)
* clean and neat, ith comfortable bedding
* pleasant staff

The best thing we found about the AKA White House was its close proximity to the restaurant, The Founding Farmers. This eatery promotes a sustainable use of crops and meat, and its service was fabulous while the meals were delightful. Book early - you will need to!
We used the transfer service to the airport and it was reliable and efficient. Apparently, the AKA White House can be hard to get into when lots of long term guests (3-4 weeks duration) move in, so if you get the opportunity to stay for a short term visit, grab it. The hotel deserves a higher Tripadvisor ranking.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheBrisli
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We are happy that you and your family could stay comfortably in our suites. With all of the cities amazing attractions, we were glad that you were able to enjoy your visit by having a spacious place to return to. We are glad you enjoyed your stay during your time in the city and look forward to assisting with lodging accommodations upon your return.