“Great Base for Work and Play”
Review of AKA White House

AKA White House
Ranked #40 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the AKA White House while he was in DC for business for a week. It was a perfect location for him to get to Capitol Hill and nearby locations. Meanwhile, I had access to two Metro stations (Farragut West for the orange/blue lines or Farragut North for the red line) within one to three blocks. The kitchen came equipped with far more dishes and pans than we needed for our stay, so someone on a more extended stay would be able to cook complete meals if they wanted. Meanwhile, we used the kitchen for breakfasts and some lunches, and could easily pick up dinner items to reheat at the Whole Foods store that was a Metro stop away. Good restaurants nearby, too.

We had a one-bedroom suite, and it was extremely spacious. The extra half-bath was handy. Families would be very comfortable staying here, as there's plenty of room to spread out and read, watch TV, or use a computer. The wireless connection never gave us a problem.

The only drawback during our stay was that remodeling of the fitness center had just started. I believe it was scheduled to last for some time.

Our room was also close to the elevator, and we could occasionally hear it beeping as it passed nearby floors. But this was a minor irritant compared with the location, cleanliness, size, and well-equipped kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank montana_mike-and-sue
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Thank you so much for the great feedback! The proximity of our location offers many, wonderful things and we are so glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them on your leisure time, while having great access to Capitol Hill. Regarding the renovations on the amenities hall, we do regret this inconvenience. These renovations bring an ongoing effort to provide the next generation of luxury accommodations to our guests and they should all be completed by the end of May 2012. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope you can lodge with us at AKA White House in the near future, while experiencing our new Fitness Center and Business Center!

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I really enjoy the three nights my family stayed at the AKA White House location. The hotel is conveniently close to the White House, two metro lines, and several restaurants. We found the rooms to be spacious and clean. Having daughters it was great to have two bedrooms so that everyone could maintain their privacy as well as having two bathrooms. My only complaint would be housekeeping came late in the afternoon but it was not so much a major issue. I think for families this is an ideal location. We traveled to DC without a car and the location of the hotel never made us feel like we needed our vehicles to enjoy the attractions...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jon D
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback! We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our suite amenities. The proximity of our location offers many, wonderful things and we are so glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them with your family. Regarding the tardiness of housekeeping, we do regret this inconvenience, however please ring our front desk next time and we can set-up a specific time to have your suite cleaned. Your positive feedback is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again during your next visit!

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We are just finishing up a nine night stay at AKA White House. It has been a true pleasure being here. The two bedroom suite gave us ample room to spread out. It was quiet night and day. It was wonderful to have separate bedrooms so my teen son had his privacy and my hysband and I had ours. I did find it strange that the master bedroom had a smaller bed than the other room. It was a walk of several blocks to the nearest grocery store but the metro was only a block away. The staff greated us by name every time we came in and out. I felt very safe. The room had free wi-fi. There was dishwasher detergent and laundry soap provided. The washer and dryer were small but it was so convenient to have. We will definately stay here again if we make it back this way.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and enjoyed the amenities in the suite with your family, as well as the proximity of our location. Washington D.C. has so many wonderful things to offer and we are so glad you found our property as one of them! We hope that you will be able to lodge with us again in the near future!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed here in Oct 2011 on our way out of the country. We'd had a okay stay (other than the window blinds that kept falling on us) at their sister property while on our way back into the country a few years ago and I figured we'd try their other location. I tend to stay true to the brands that I find that I like. However, the stay here was not the same. While we were there they were building what looked to be a very nice and spacious bar area. However, we didnt get to enjoy it since it was just being built.

I found the staff to be really nice, most of them. There was a female manager there (very trendy dresser, sharp hair cut but can't remember her name) who was really nice and did work with me to work out a mis-communication about parking. The location is great though.

I traveled with an elderly relative, husband and son. Our first room while lovely, had mold growing out of control in the bathroom ceiling and walls. It had a very strong old smell to it. I promptly brought this to their attention and they moved us.

We got to our new room and again while lovely and stylish, it had a old moldy smell to it as well. The laundry area was wet and did not appear to have been cleaned after the last guest. The microwave in the kitchen didnt work. The guy came to replace it with one that also didnt work. He didnt even try it out. We didnt have a very long stay and my relative was leaving the next day so we figured we'd just deal with it.

The parking is not ideal if you are parking challanged. The spaces are very small and the turns are tight. I had a medium sized Honda but was nervous parking each time we went in and out. We'd been told by the NY office that parking was including just like at the location in Va. However, upon check in I found out differently. As mentioned above the very nice female manager fixed things for me and the problem was resolved.

The breakfast coffee was alittle sparse and I couldnt get the times right for when they had it. the property had a roof top but from what we could tell you had to take a circuitous route to get there. It was not easy to access at all.

We will be back in the area for two months in the fall and are looking for a place. I dont know that I would stay here again. The property seems like a good idea but there are still alot of quality issues that need to be addressed. i.e checking a room before it is rented out to ensure you don't have a forest of mold growing in it. Front desk staff better equipped to advise what is around the property i.e. for eating, etc. I like the AKA brand and their premise but I think there should be alittle more attention to quality assurance of their product and ensuring all staff are aware of what property has what amenity.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank 1Solshine
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel is very centrally located by the McPherson Square subway station and two blocks from the White House. The rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. They accept federal government per diem for longer stays, so if you need to be in DC for several weeks, this is an ideal spot. Having a fully functioning kitchen and washer/dryer in unit can make a long stay much more pleasant. There was a lot of renovation going on when we stayed here in May, so that was a bit inconvenient. The business center could also use some updating (the scanner and printer were not working at the time). All in all, however, this was a very good choice.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback! Your satisfaction is our priority! I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our suite amenities. We are currently working on getting our business center updated in the next few months. Your patronage is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again during your next visit!

Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed 6 nights. My one-bedroom suite had everything in the kitchen, plus a washer and clothes dryer. The rooms are just like small apartments, with a flat screen tv in the bedroom and one in the living room. Staff is friendly and very helpful, and the rooms are large, clean and quiet. Plus, I stocked the refrigerator and ate breakfast in my room each day, and brought back half of my large restaurant meals for dinner or lunch the next day. Also, the price is competitive with other hotels that don't offer as much. I will definitely stay there again. A block away from the Metro, and very close to the actual White House.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JaniceG1950
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the amenities in the suite, as well as the proximity of our location. D.C. has so many wonderful things to offer and we are so glad you found our property as one of them! We are glad you enjoyed your stay during your time in the city and look forward to assisting with lodging accommodations upon your return.
The AKA White House Management Team

Reviewed 8 February 2012

AKA white house is an appartment hotel with the sevice of a luxury hotel.
We had a sitting room and a sleeping room and a very well equiped kitchen. sacious and very clean and luxury.
Good big beds and no noise from outside.
There is a car parking and it is near a metro station and on walking distance of the white house and the memorials in the mall.
Why book a hotelroom if you can book a luxury appartment for the same price and with the same service. There are a few good restaurants in the neighbourhood and with the circular bus you are witin 10 minutes in Georgetown. Good quality/price level.

Room Tip: the corner rooms have windows on two sides an are very bright