“A hotel to come back again and again”
Review of AKA White House

AKA White House
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Melbourne, Australia
“A hotel to come back again and again”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

AKA wasn't the hotel we booked to stay initially. After discover the original hotel we booked was absolutely filthy (Holiday Inn Capitol), we moved to AKA the second night and what a great find!! The apartment was very spacious - you don't normally get walk-in robe in serviced apartments! The amenities are first class. And the kitchen is very well equipped. The hotel is in a very good location, close to many of the nice restaurants of DC. And only one block away from Farragut West Metro station. Now we have discovered the AKA brand, we will come back to it again and again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LXfamily
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback! With our fully furnished suites, spacious living accommodations, and outstanding location, AKA White House is your home away from home. We are thrilled to hear we were able to make your visit to The District exceptional. Our number one priority is your complete satisfaction and we are happy to hear your stay was as such. Thank you again for positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you “home” to AKA White House.

888.aka.0210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Arabic first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Recently we stayed for a week at AKA and found our apartment spacious and comfortable. The kictchen was well equiped with crockery,cooking utensils and saucepans etc.
The apartment was clean and comfortable.
The staff were most helpfull and obliging and even went to the trouble of sorting out some problems we had with our IPad.
We did appreciate having our own washing machine and dryer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
We appreciate the feedback! With in-suite washer and dryers, fully furnished kitchens, and spacious living accommodations, AKA White House is your home away from home. Great to hear our staff was able to assist you with your iPad as well! Our dedicated concierge team is here to make our residents stay outstanding. Whether for business, or a pleasure, AKA white House is the ideal option when in search of luxury extended stay accommodations. Thank you for the great comments and we look forward to welcoming you upon your return to AKA White House.

Farmingdale, United States
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I booked a room for a November weekend and were so surprised at how huge the "suite" was! We had a bedroom, huge living room with tv and table, complete kitchen, washer and dryer, and two bathrooms. AKA is very modern with a cool, dark lobby that smells wonderful! The parking garage is right beside and available all weekend long. It's a great safe neighborhood steps from Lafayette Square, the White House, GWU campus, but yet on a quiet street. We found it to be a great place to relax, felt like home, and we enjoyed eating breakfast in our room. No restaurant in the residence but many places nearby.

Room Tip: Bring your own tea bags, cereal, juice, fruit, etc. for the in-room refrigerator. Across the street...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you kindly for the great feedback! Our number one goal is your complete satisfaction and we are thrilled to hear your experience was as such. With modern furnishings throughout the property, AKA White House is the leading option in luxury extended stay accommodations, a true home-away-from-home. Great to hear you enjoyed relaxing in your suite with family. Residents have the unique opportunity to enjoy a home cooked meal in the comfort of their suite at any time. This along with our great amenities and staff set us apart from any other! Thank you so much for the positive feedback and we look forward to your next lodging dates with us at AKA White House.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The AKA White House is a nice hotel in a nice downtown location. The rooms are spacious and fairly well decorated and comfortable. It's a solid place for an extended term stay (what they specialize in) especially since it is basically a studio apartment with kitchen, washer-dryer, guest bathroom, etc. and a separate bedroom. The gym downstairs is tiny, but it's normally not crowded so you can do most of the exercises you need to. The bar is a classy affair and a nice place for a nightcap. The location again is good, but beware that it is in a downtown business district, so there isn't much in the immediate surroundings that is open at night, but you just need to walk a few blocks.

The biggest issue is there complete inflexibility on the length of your stay. Even though they are basically a hotel, they force you to sign "a lease" for your stay. I stayed with them for over six weeks (count 'em) and they wouldn't let me get out of my "lease" one day (count it) early, even when I asked them about it almost two weeks (yes) in advance. They charged me for half a night! So if you are extended-term government TDY with a fluid schedule, this is NOT the place for you.

It's a shame that the AKA is so inflexible, it's otherwise a decent hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheButter
We appreciate the feedback. AKA White House is the ideal choice when in search of luxury extended stay. With in-suite washer and dryers, fully furnished kitchens, and spacious living accommodations, AKA is your home away from home.

While we are happy to hear your enjoyed your suite and our accompanying amenities, you secured your dates and payment based upon your lease agreement with the property. As an extended stay property, our polices differ from a standard hotel, meaning if you are staying over 30 days, or six weeks as you secured, you are required to sign a lease, as you would with any apartment in the US and when there is a lease agreement involved and signed off on by both parties, we secure your accommodations based upon this document. Upon booking any lease, the terms of your lease & accommodations are conveyed to each guest upfront prior to signing, and always prior to one’s arrival. All of our guests are welcome to book shorter stays that do not require a lease, and extend, based upon availability.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at this property during a temporary relocation to Washington for work for about a month - and then I moved to another location. The rooms are apartments – at least one bedroom, very nice, new kitchen, modern design, and spacious. Main bathroom not as luxurious as I was expecting and dirty (more on that soon). We loved the bonus powder room.

This property has been renovated from an older building I think, and there are TONS of odd noises, like ratting pipes and very noisy A/C units. I had to move rooms, which was difficult to do. The first room we had was so noisy, it was practically shaking. I think from the elevator unit. The second unit was a bit better, but still bad. There was a lot of noise from the hallways and upstairs. Also, daily, at 10-11:30pm, as if they were moving furniture upstairs. Made my 6am weekday wakeups quite unpleasant. I don’t know what was going on up there, or if it was another mysterious pipe or something.

Also the A/C in the bedroom blew right in my face and it was unadjustable, making it very uncomfortable. It also only works on automatic, so I couldn't leave it on to provide some white noise, and I certainly couldn't control the blast in my face. Coupled with the noise, I rarely slept well. The shower pressure was also very low, and we weren’t that high up. Oh, and their reservations policy is very inflexible. I didn't have issues with this personally, but read the fine print before you book.

What is worse, however, is the housekeeping service. They do not clean the rooms properly! What a joke. One time, I was running late in the morning, and I spilled my foundation (makeup) bottle in the sink. I tidied up most of it, but not all, as I didn’t have enough time to go get the sponge from the sink, etc. When I returned from that evening, the room had been made up, but there were still huge foundation stains on the soap dish, sides of the sink, etc. Gross. That means when they “cleaned” the sink area, they did not even move the soap dish – and probably nothing else! I cleaned the sink myself, but left the soap dish the way it was; an experiment. Guess what? It was never cleaned. They also regularly gave us ripped or badly frayed towels. There was also clearly buildup (or maybe mold) in the shower that was never cleaned. Oh, and they never refreshed the toiletries, even though it was clear we were out. And yes, we tipped. And they only “clean” once a week, and it is very hard to schedule it to a time that is convenient (e.g. not at 5pm when I am home on time from work for a change….). Once we tried, was told OK, went out for several hours deliberately, and came back to no maid service. We'd also missed our chance for several days.

It is sad, because this is a nice property, but not being properly maintained. And they charge enough.The cleaners need training – and supervision – asap.

I will say that everyone we encountered was pleasant, but a special shoutout to the cheery doorman. His smile made me smile, and that’s no easy task when it comes to me and mornings. :) They also had a very nice “welcome” gift waiting for us when we arrived. A nice touch.

There is also no restaurant on site (there is a bar) and the closest stores are several blocks away, not so pleasant to walk with groceries in the 95-degree heat when we stayed. So you’ll have to peapod (online delivery service) it.

So in sum, if you don’t mind strange noises and shoddy housekeeping, stay here. It may not be as much of an issue if only staying here a couple nights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank MeTravelBug
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
We appreciated you taking the time to provide feedback. Feedback like yours is crucial to our success as a leader in luxury extended stay. While we are happy to hear your enjoyed our staff, especially our doorman, we do regret any inconvenience caused to you by your suite and housekeeping experiences.

We take the cleanliness of our suites extremely important, and as such, we will be investigating these comments with our housekeeping team. Rest assured, the cleanliness of your suite and frayed towels is not a normal occurrence and we plan on investigating the issue with our team.

Our suites were designed for our guest in mind, with fully furnished kitchens, spacious accommodations, and modern décor. With our suite amenities, residents receive housekeeping either once per week, or daily. As we differ from a standard hotel, reservations that are more than 7 nights receive a once a week deep clean, or a daily clean for any reservation less than 7 nights. Anytime a resident wishes to reschedule their cleanings to another day or time, we are more than happy to amend your cleaning schedule. We kindly ask all residents to do so 24 hours in advance so we may ensure the time and day they select is guaranteed and set. Addtionally, we do offer daily housekeeping for a nominal rate for stays over 7 nights, and we also offer rates that include daily housekeeping for extended stay residents.

Regarding the AC units, we do apologize that the air vents caused any issue. Anytime a resident requires any maintenance, we urge our residents to contact us immediately so we may have our team inspect your suite to resolve any issue as best we can also, as stated before, we do differ from a standard hotel and as such, our reservation policies are different depending on the booking that is made. Our residents and guests are more than welcome to view and review all policies on our website, prior to booking.

Unfortunately, as we are in a city environment, audible noise from the streets are inescapable. We do, however, do our best to alleviate any stress a guest may have and relocate them in a location that suits their needs.

Thank you again for the feedback, and we look forward to turning your perception around and to exceed all expectations upon any future stays.

memphis
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed here while I was in town for a work detail. I suddenly had to leave before my check out date. I only could give them a 1 week noticed instead of 15 days. I figure they would work with me on that. Nope. They charged me 16 days beyond my check out date , basically for the rest of that month. $3,100 I had to pay out of my own pocket. I was so mad!! Besides that, the staff is not professional and for a hotel that charges that amount a night, you would expect it to be a classy hotel. No it isn't. It is better to stay at a chain hotel. I will when I return to DC.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank merlyn33
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Firstly, we would like to thank you for providing your feedback. Our number one priority is our guest’s satisfaction and we apologize for any inconvenience caused to you by securing an apartment lease with the property. You secured your dates and payment based upon your lease agreement with the property. As an extended stay property, our polices differ from a standard hotel and when there is a lease agreement involved and signed off on by both parties, we secure your accommodations based upon this document. Upon booking any lease, the terms of your lease & accommodations are conveyed to each guest upfront and always prior to one’s arrival.

Thank you again for your comments.

Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were happily surprised with the spacious apartment upon arrival. Tastefully, contemporary decorated and our corner apartment (411) had a nice view and no noise issues. We stayed here as a family of four for 4 nights. The kitchen is a big plus as well as the washer and dryer. It has two bathrooms, one for each room. The lobby/bar area is lively. Many good restaurants in the area either for dinner or breakfast and subway station is a short walk. Wish we had known about the free bikes.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Colemink
Thank you kindly for the great feedback! AKA White House is your home away from home with in-suite washer and dryers, fully furnished kitchens, and spacious living accommodations. With our outstanding customer service and hard to beat location, AKA is your ideal option when in search of luxury extended stay. Great to hear you experienced our lounge as well! A.lounge is a great extension for our guests to relax in after a long day, with expertly crafted cocktails and artisan wines. Yes! We do have bikes available to rent for our residents, free of charge. Anytime a resident wishes to rent one to explore the sights of DC, all they need to do is see our Resident Representative team at the front desk. We appreciate the comments and look forward to welcoming you upon your return to AKA White House!