“Fabulous Location, Excellent Rooms and Service”
Review of AKA White House

AKA White House
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Mexico City
“Fabulous Location, Excellent Rooms and Service”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My #1 choice for a stay in DC. The suites are spacious and luxurious. The location is perfect for workday business and weekend fun. The staff is professional and courteous. Much better than a standard hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John S
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
We greatly appreciate the fantastic feedback! We are thrilled to hear AKA White House is your #1 choice when staying within our Nation’s Capital. With our spacious living accommodations, outstanding staff, and central location, AKA White House is your home away from home. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return to AKA White House!

888.aka.0210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Spent ten nights here.... it has potential for greatness... Great amazing location... most of the staff were really nice although a few were rather snobby.

The room was awesome... Loved the bath, TV's, washer and dryer, etc.

The sheets are pathetic. I've traveled all over the world in the past eight years and I've stayed at mid range guesthouses in 3rd world nations with better sheets. Also, they weren't changed for the entire duration of our stay until the day before we checked out I (after we had slept fully clothed on top the covers for two nights) ensured that housekeeping changed them... Which involved asking a lovely young lady who barely spoke English to change the sheets and her telling me she would but I needed to call the front desk first so they could relay the order to her... It was all redunkulousy complicated.

The hotel upcharges for the parking. Just pay the parking garage yourself and save $20 a day....

The hotel has so much RIGHT but the cheap sheets, towels, toiletries, and what seems to be a overly complicated system of running things bring it down a bit.

If you planning on staying a few nights and need a great central location this is the place to stay.... more than 4 nights and it's not the best choice.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen L
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We appreciated you taking the time to provide feedback. Feedback like yours is crucial to our success as a leader in luxury extended stay. While we are happy to hear your enjoyed most of our staff, we do regret any inconvenience caused to you by your suite and housekeeping experiences.

Our suites were designed for our guest in mind, with fully furnished kitchens, spacious accommodations, and modern décor. With our suite amenities, residents receive housekeeping either once per week, or daily. As we differ from a standard hotel, reservations that are more than 7 nights receive a once a week deep clean, or a daily clean for any reservation less than 7 nights. Anytime a resident wishes to reschedule their cleanings to another day or time or relay any type of issue regarding sheets etc., we are more than happy to amend your cleaning schedule or send up a housekeeper to provide you with new sheets. We kindly ask all residents to do so 24 hours in advance so we may ensure the time and day they select is guaranteed and set. Addtionally, we do offer daily housekeeping for a nominal rate for stays over 7 nights, and we also offer rates that include daily housekeeping for extended stay residents.

Regarding the parking rates, parking is $35.00 for each evening. The parking your utilized was a daily parking rate only for $14.00, although this rate exists for our daily parkers, we do periodically do an audit the garage and any overnights cars found that are not paying the overnight rate will be billed the $35.00. Additionally, if one reviews parking rates overnight in Washington DC, $35.00 is the standard fare charged.

Thank you again for the feedback, and we look forward to turning your perception around and to exceed all expectations upon any future stays.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The new exercise room is a higher standard that what you typically find and all is in good working order. The location is perfect for touring and business district work. The staff is top notch and very attentive to your needs. On the improvement areas would say that painting needs to be done in the apt. suite and a ramp access to the fitness center/business center should be installed for handicap or those challenged visitors. All in all AKA is an A+ place to stay in DC

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to provide your positive feedback! AKA White House is your number one choice when looking for luxury extended stay accommodations in Washington, DC. We are so delighted to know that our suites, amenities, and staff were able to make your stay a memorable one!

Regarding your statement regarding ramp or wheelchair access, perhaps you might have missed our ADA elevator that easily allows access to our fitness and business centers. This is located right next to the stairs. We will also notify our maintenance staff and have this unit refreshed with a new coat of paint.

With our ideal location, coupled with our outstanding customer service, spacious accommodations, and fully furnished suites, AKA White House is your home away from home. Thank you again for the great feedback, and we look forward to your next lodging dates with us at AKA.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at the AKA in early February. The hotel has been finished since my last stay and the downtairs looks great. The room was large and comfortable and I was on a higher floor which was nice.

A few things though:

The rooms could use a little more general repair. I'm not talking about cleanliness. I'm talking about minor repairs and upkeep: just a dab of pain over a scuff on a wall or closet, repairing a crack in plaster; using a scratch stick on a floor scratch ...

My room did not have a booklet or pamphlet with general hotel info like the cable channel numbers or how to use the voicemail system.

When I last stayed the hotel had a complimentary breakfast. Now they do not. That was a nice touch. In fact I didn't even see that you could pay for breakfast.

The room did not have a safe that I saw. However I would say that I did not check with the front desk so I perhaps it was somewhere in the apartment.

The front desk was friendly but there were a few glitches. I apparently had daily room service (when I last stayed the service was less frequent ... keeping in mind that AKA is geared towards longer stays) which I didn't need for a five day stay. After getting a note that I had my "do not disturb" sign up and therefore the room was not cleaned I contacted the front desk and they said they would note my account that I did not need daily cleaning. However I got a couple more notes indicating that they came by to clean but the "do not disturb" sign was up.

Noise. I didn't have any significant disturbance from neighboring units. You should be aware that units on the back don't have street noise but there is dumpster emptying in the large office buildings around the hotel and that banging is arguably more disruptive than being on the street side. The hotel has no nightlife around it and the area around the hotel is mostly offices so it is very lightly traveled late. Also my unit was on the back side of the elevator banks and I noticed very frequent rattling in the mornings apparently caused by the multiple elevators passing the floor. It was not something that kept me from sleeping but it is something noticeable.

Location. Excellent for access to work in the area. Convenient to metro and bus lines. Not far from the mall, the white house, the Corcoran and a few other sites. Walkable to restaurant heavy areas. However it is a ghost town around the hotel late. There are few amenities open at night around the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank klsalas
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for providing us with your feedback! Our number one goal is your complete satisfaction and we are happy to hear your stay was memorable.

Regarding your suite, we do apologize you experienced any maintenance issues. Upon any guest needing inspections surrounding upkeep of their suite, we encourage all resident to contact our front desk immediately so we may have our team inspect and resolve the issue. Our staff is here to exceed your expectations at all times.

Regarding the housekeeping, our housekeeping varies from different hotels, we do inform our residents at the time of arrival their cleaning schedule. Any reservation that is 6 nights or less, receives a daily clean, with reservations being 7 nights or more receiving a deep clean, once per week. At any time a resident wishes to amend their cleaning to a day, may do so with the front desk. If a “Do Not Disturb” sign is on a residents door, our housekeeping team does notify the resident to ensure that if any cleanings are missed, can be rescheduled. If a residents wishes to cancel any cleanings during their stay, we kindly ask them to see our front desk so we may amend the schedule, per this request.

Anytime a resident is not completely satisfied with their suite, due to audible noise levels from the back ally, we are more than happy to look into moving the resident to a different suite, contingent on availability, however this being a city location, noise levels from the exterior of the building are hard to control.

Due to the numerous restaurants within less than a block from the property, we have not offered breakfast for over two years, we do however offer complimentary coffee in our lobby Monday – Friday. Additionally, all of the information you requested regarding the unit is located in the welcome kit in each unit on the coffee table. If for some reason, you could not locate your kit, the front desk would be pleased to supply you with another.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the area! With our central location, residents and guests alike can experience all DC has to offer, just by stepping outside. With a quick cab ride or relaxing walk, residents can enjoy the downtown area as well as the National Mall with all of the District’s cultural excitement.

Thank you again for the great feedback, and we look forward to your next lodging dates with us at AKA White House.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at the Aka for 10 nights recently. This is the first time I stayed with the AKA group and is happy with the accommodations. I had a 1 bedroom suite on the second floor facing H St. Although I am one floor up from the street level, the were no noise issues. The windows near the sofa was a tad drafty and I can feel the cold air seep in.

I would have given this place a 5 stars had it not been some false advertising on their website. It is not a major issue but a 5 starred hotel needs to be perfect or near perfect. On the website, it states clearly that a DVD is in all their suites. Alas, when I arrived with some newly bought DVDs there was no player in my room. When I enquired at the reception, I was told they no longer have DVDs in their suites and if I need one I had to request for one and payment was required for the player.

They also have no tissues in the suite although they provide laundry powder and dish washing powder. Apart from these few issues, the suite was clean, spacious and the kitchen was well equipped. There was also a lot of premium channels available on the TV.

Location is great. A block and half from a Ferragut West Metro on both the Blue & Orange line, 2 blocks from the White House and 2 blocks from Founding Farmers, a pretty decent restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Round the corner is a Mc Donalds and across the street half a block away is Starbucks.

All in all I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
We appreciated your positive feedback! While we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay, we do regret any inconvenience caused to you by the windows, and the miscommunication regarding the DVD players.

Regarding the DVD players, while we do not have them in our suites, we do have the devices on hand when a resident wishes to use one, free of charge. We apologize that this information was provided incorrectly.

Anytime a resident needs any extra amenities, such as toiletries or facial tissue, our front desk and housekeeping team is available to provide these items at any time and free of charge.

With our spacious living accommodations, central location, and luxe furnishings, AKA White House is your home away from home.

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We just returned from a stay at the AKA White House and had an excellent experience from start to finish! They pay great attention to detail (both in service and decor!). The location is exactly where you'd want to be during a visit to Washington and not just a few, but every member of the hotel staff was friendly, helpful and professional. I especially enjoyed the lounge and fireplace: relaxing, sophisticated, convenient. The AKA sets the standard for sure, we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for providing us with your feedback! Our number one goal is your complete satisfaction, and we are thrilled to hear your stay reflected that. With our spacious living accommodations, central location, and outstanding customer service, AKA White House is your ideal option when in search of luxury extended stay. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your return to AKA White House.

British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Totally 'wowed' by the AKA White House. We chose it for the location, close to the real White House and art galleries. We were very impressed and surprised by the spacious 2-bedroom suite. Nice designer look and very comfy. Great value! The staff were very helpful and courteous.

Our only regret? We didn't plan a longer stay!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FLJ_designer
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Front Office Manager at AKA White House, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! We take great pride in providing our guests with the most comfortable accommodations possible and therefore we are delighted to know that your stay was a reflection of our standards. We're also glad when guest are able to also take advantage of all that our unparalleled location and suites have to offer. Our AKA staff work tirelessly to go above and beyond; so we're thrilled they were able to exceed your expectations and make AKA White House your home-away-from home! Thank you again for the great feedback and we look forward to welcoming you upon your return to AKA White House.