“One of my favorites”

Heurich House Museum
Ranked #103 of 431 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic Dupont Circle home of German immigrant and brewmaster Christian Heurich (1842-1945) and family The mansion was built from 1892-94 by German immigrant, local brewer, and philanthropist Christian Heurich (1842-1945). He and his family lived in their Dupont Circle home from its completion in 1894 until his wife's death in 1956. Recognized as Washington, DC's most successful brewer, he ran the Chr. Heurich Brewing Co., the city's longest-operating brewery (1873-1956), until his death at 102. The mansion is notable for its fireproof construction, original interiors, and family collections. The museum, located at 1307 New Hampshire Avenue in Dupont Circle, is open for regular public events and guided tours Thursday through Saturday at 11:30 am, 1:00 and 2:30 pm. Private tours and event rentals are also available.
Reviewed 26 October 2017

This historical house tells a great story and is a authentic picture of life for the well heeled in the late 1800's. The docent did an excellent job creating a picture of the times and character who lived here. The furnishing and details are marvelous. The new discoveries of electricity and tie to Edison. What a treasure for the city and Dupont Circle to have. These old houses and their incredible story of survival gets better every year There is a small fee I think 10 dollars.

1  Thank tarad32530
heurichhouse, Director of Public Engagement at Heurich House Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you for your visit. We are so glad you enjoyed the museum!

All reviews
"victorian mansion"
"kennedy center"
"local brewer"
in 2 reviews
"national register of historic places"
"federal government"
"nw"
"homes"
"treasure"

Reviewed 3 August 2017

I traveled to Washington D.C. a few weeks ago. During my stay, I decided to visit some historic homes and gardens. Today, I would like to tell you about the Heurich House Museum known also as the Brewmaster’s House.
The Heurich House Museum is a well-preserved Victorian mansion previously owned by Christian Heurich, a German immigrant that left his country to start a new life in Washington, DC. It is located near the trendy Dupont Circle.

The Heurich House Museum.as built from 1892-94 by German immigrant, local brewer Christian Heurich (1842-1945). He lived with his family in Dupont Circle from its 1894 until 1956. He was terrified of fires and the mansion is notable for its fireproof construction. It has original interiors that still look amazing due to the shade and lower temperature of the house.

The Heurich House Museum offers guided tours that last approximately 1 hour on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I’ve joined a tour on Saturday and it was great to learn about the history of the house, its owner and what currently happens there. We walked through the rooms with a knowledgeable guide and admired lots of beautiful antics inspired by French style.

What I found interesting was that the Heurich House Museum, runs a monthly History & Hops event every third Thursday from 6:30 to 8:30pm. During that events the museum partners with a local beer insider for house tours and beer tastings so if you enjoy trying some local beers then you should definitely book yourself in on one of these evenings.

I loved the quotes that were displayed in a drinking room of the owner where he would meet up with a group of friends to try his locally-brewed beer.

Address:
Heurich House Museum
1307 New Hampshire Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20036

2  Thank FirstClass L
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Before seeing this house, I had just watched Ken Burns' historic series on Prohibition, which gave me a whole different perspective while visiting this house. I imagined what this family must have endured during the anti-German WWI era. Mr. Heinrich owned a brewery in the Watergate-Kennedy Center area. He suffered through two fires and as a result built the house from concrete and steel. Beautiful fireplaces adorn almost every room, yet were never used. Especially enjoyed the family pub in the basement. I can only imagine how much fun was had in that room.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

We toured this beautiful mansion and learned the history of it's owner Christian Heurich, a German immigrant who rose to become the largest private landowner and second largest employer (behind the federal government) in Washington, D.C., back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The house is beautifully maintained and has almost all of the original furnishings. Heurich made his fortune as a brewer, building the largest and longest running brewery in D.C. (1872 to 1956). The Kennedy Center is located on the spot of his last and largest brewery.

2  Thank GrandpaX4
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

My family and I scheduled our trip to the Heurich house two days in advance for 2:30 p.m. My sister arrived at the Heurich house at 2:29 p.m. and they had already closed and lock the doors. They refuse to answer the door or the phones. Being that we scheduled our tour two days in advance and we were on the list, it would have been considerate for them to at least wait a few minutes for us to arrive. We had Metro difficulties. I was very disappointed, as I was looking forward to seeing the house.

1  Thank Katy J
heurichhouse, Director of Public Engagement at Heurich House Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

We are so sorry to hear about your experience on Saturday. We would love to speak to you about it in more detail so we can make sure nothing like this happens again and to try to make it up to you and your family. Please email us at info@heurichhouse.org or call 202-429-1894, so we can work together to find a solution. Thank you. -HHM