“Interesting tour of the Masonic Temple”

House of the Temple
Ranked #135 of 442 things to do in Washington DC
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
South Carolina
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Interesting tour of the Masonic Temple”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Schedule a visit if you are a fan of Dan Brown's book "The Lost Symbol". Very enlightening tour and interesting facts concerning the Masons. Call ahead to make sure tour guides are available.

Visited October 2011

Seattle, Washington
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“History, literature, and architecture in one majestic location”
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We found the House of the Temple while searching for a geocache (GPS-based scavenger hunt) in the area. Imagine our surprise after finding this majestic temple on the outskirts of a quiet and pretty residential neighborhood. We came back the next day during tour hours and because my husband is a Mason we were granted free admission.

This tour is fabulous. Our guide was professional, courteous, and extremely knowledgeable. Though every surface in the temple is made of hand-crafted, antique and expensive materials, the guide mentioned several times that we were welcome to touch nearly everything, explore every crevice, and even sit in the plush chairs!

The temple is rich with history and elegance; yet, there were little touches of modern comforts available for guests like water coolers sprinkled throughout and an elevator for those who find stairs a challenge. Our guide was kind enough to bring our group up and down stairs via the elevator because we had a stroller.

I must admit that the older members of your party will enjoy the tour more than the kids. My pre-teen had passing moments of disinterest here and there, but on the whole he was impressed. It might be difficult to convince a young child to stay quiet for the lengthy 90-minute tour. (Trust me, I had a one-year-old with me.)

Overall, this is a "do not miss" tour in Washington, DC. You will be treated to history, literature, and amazing architecture. The price, even when not discounted, cannot be beat. And, if you're a geocacher, there's a cache outside with instructions for receiving a prize during tour hours -- the prize is fantastic, so make time to go in!

Visited October 2010
8 Thank taragl
Nashville, Tennessee
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 211 helpful votes
“Beautiful building, interesting tour.”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We toured the House of the Temple and it was an interesting experience. I have 3 ancestors who were Masons, so I was curious about the organization. We have read a lot about the Freemasons and seen some TV programs about them, but that's all we knew.

We got to the building early and there was only one other couple who did the tour with us. Our guide was a young girl in her 20s and she answered our questions patiently. We were there for about 2 hours.

Touring this building and seeing the exhibits there made me realize how highly connected the Masons are to the highest levels of our government, which was a surprise. A lot of our presidents have been Masons, and also a lot of Supreme Court justices.

There was a lady in the library who searched her computer files for my Mason ancestors, but she wasn't successful, evidently because my relatives were not in the Scottish Rite branch of the Masons. So be aware of this if you want to find out more about Mason ancestors, as I did.

3 Thank travelbugbigtime
Washington, D.C.
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Student discount gets you in for only...”
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Student discount gets you in for only $3.33. Entertaining for the value. Tour was about an hour and you can see lots. Talked about the Dan Brown book Lost Symbol on the tour. Didn't try to hide anything and didn't try to recruit anyone. Little gift shop with books and polos. Can get info about anyone you know that has Mason history.