“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #153 of 460 things to do in Washington DC
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Myself, my sons and teenage granddaughters went to the Temple not knowing what to expect of the tour. A well versed young woman was our guide and she gave a detailed tour with historical background. The architecture is beautiful, not overly ornate but all beautifully crafted. My granddaughters were particularly enthralled with the large library. There were rooms that housed many interesting displays of personal items and stories belonging to famous people who were Masons. This tour is well worth a visit. I would not recommend the tour for families with very young children.

3  Thank Mc335

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Someone said you should go here for the insides are beautiful and the craftmanship is amazing all of which is true. The tour guide was quite informative and you can take one anytime you show up which is helpful when you don't want to wait for one. The different rooms were quite something with how they were built and I don't believe they could be duplicated today. One thing I would bring a water bottle and dress lightly for it is warm in some of the rooms are don't have AC. I also learned quite a bit about what the Freemasons were all about which was worthwhile and quite informative which displaced a number of myths and untrues about them.

2  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

Maybe it was because we had just seen the Masonic Temple in Philadelphia but this temple was just okay. The architecture was nice but the rooms weren't decorated as grandly as the temple in Philly. We had to wait a long time for our tour which also kind of ruined the visit for me. It wasn't as if the place was busy, the tour guides were just sitting at the desk gossiping. After about half an hour we watched a video then the tour got started. Our tour guides must have been new because they basically read off a script. There are some interesting displays which I think is worth seeing. However I think this place may have more value as a self guided tour accompanied by a recording rather than utilizing the tour guides. Also parking is very difficult to find. The temple has a good sized parking lot in the back which they won't allow you to park in as it is reserved for employees only. When I went the parking lot was completely empty except for 2 cars. I offered to pay a fee to park there and they still declined. What a waste of good parking space.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

The temple was gorgeou. The interior of the Temple, the architecture and the people were great. the Temple gets an overall awesome awesome awesome awesome !!!

A must see..... !!!!!

1  Thank Kletsel21
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The temple is a beautiful building with interesting history and architecture. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and made the information fun. We had the place to ourselves and we were bale to take great pictures and spend some time in the library. This is a lesser-known attraction but it is just a short walk from the U Street metro and worth the time.

2  Thank JGallagher28