“Was Good Until the Bill Came”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed at hotel during memorial day week-end. Room was spacious and clean. plenty of towels etc. Managers reception and buffet breakfast were also good. plenty of food, drinks and snacks.

I didnt check out when i left. just returned room keys. when i got the bill, they charged me for 4 nights of parking instead of 2. Left voice mail messages and e-mails. no response. Wasnt until i disputed charges with credit card company did the hotel return calls and e-mail. Received calls with no messages. Finally received an e-mail saying they would credit my account for the 2 extra days. i replied back and havent heard back. poor customer service.

Room Tip: High floor with a street view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Steve,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this review. While I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the stay here I am certainly sorry that you have had to deal with this hassle with the extra parking fees. We work diligently to ensure that our guests are charged the proper amount and in this rare case where there are still outstanding charges I will be certain to make sure that this is taken care of immediately. I do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and we will be in contact with you soon to ensure that the proper rate has been charged to you.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel provides such value! The rooms are very comfortable and clean - the free breakfast can easily provide food for breakfast, lunch and snacks throughout the day - and the free reception can provide dinner! Given restaurant prices in D.C., this is a bargain waiting for you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Yvonne,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience staying with us. I am always happy to know that guests made the most out of their stay by taking advantage of our free breakfast and complimentary drinks and it appears that you certainly did. We look forward to providing the same great service and amenities to you on your next trip to DC. Until then, safe and happy travels.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our family of four is currently staying at this Embassy Suites for our family vacation. This is our second time here, and I highly recommend it. We are in a room on the 15th floor, which includes free wi-fi, a coffeemaker, refrigerator and microwave. Also, there are bowls of free fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) available, which is a nice touch. As others have said, the breakfast is great -- the most variety and best quality of any free hotel breakfast we ever have anywhere. We did not go to the pool at all, so I can't comment on it. The room was very clean and nice, and the bath towels were of good quality. The location is quite good -- it's a bit of a walk (20 min or so) to the Smithsonian and further to the memorials, but certainly doable. The Circulator Bus has a stop very close to the hotel, and there are always taxis outside. Kudos to the front desk people as well, for always being polite and helpful.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ksmom2Kansas
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Kansas Mom,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here and I am very happy to know you had a wonderful stay in one of our Premium Suite's. I enjoy hearing the feedback from our guests and it sounds like you really enjoyed the amenities of the Premium Suite along with some friendly front desk service. I hope if you find yourself back in the DC area you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Convention Center for the better part of a month. The hotel overall is in a very convenient location and the staff were helpful. The breakfast is very convenient and huge thanks to Abraham, Jose, and Yanira who cooked me some delicious eggs and breakfast. Robbie and Martes were great at the front desk! And Yanira in housekeeping was awesome. These three always went above and beyond for me while I was there.

The only shortcomings I experienced with the hotel was their laundry facilities. The machines were often out of service or would not finish cycling. An update to these old machines is overdue.

Overall, 4 stars and would have been 5 if it had not been for the laundry.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello Sean,

It sounds like you had a really excellent stay at my hotel and made a few friends along the way! I will be certain to personally let Abraham, Jose, Yanira, Robbie and Martes all know that you sent glowing praises their way during your extended stay with us. I appreciate all the feedback you have provided and I do apologize about the inconvenience with the laundry facilities. We have since fixed this problem but I understand the difficulty you must have faced, particularly since you were staying with us for quite some time. I hope that if you find yourself back in DC you will choose to stay with us again. Until then safe and happy travels.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We recently spent a long weekend at this hotel and cannot say enough good things about our experience. The hotel is very, very, very clean, the staff all professional and friendly and the rooms spacious and comfortable. We stayed on the 15th floor in a Premium Suite, that includes free wifi, Keurig coffee makers and access to complimentary snacks and beverages---well worth the extra $25 for having access to the snacks like granola bars, chips, fresh fruit, bottled water, juice and soft drinks. We had a regular king suite with a gorgeous view of the Capital building. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet and very clean. No issues of outside noises from other rooms. The evening reception was a nice treat, with free beer (Yuengling or Bud Light), wine or specialty cocktail along with snacks like chips & guac, crackers & cheese and veggie sticks. For the kids there was fruit punch, snack mix and gummy bears. Breakfast was probably the best hotel breakfast I've had and I have stayed at AAA 5 diamond resorts before. Fresh made to order omelets everyday! Also offered are items like fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, pastries, scrambled eggs, waffles, french toast, etc. Pretty much whatever you could imagine you would want to eat for breakfast, they had it.
The location of the hotel to the rest of the city is fantastic, walking distance to the White House, Ford's Theater, Smithsonian and National Mall. There are also several Metro (subway) stops nearby and plenty of taxis if you don't want to walk. It was only about a $8 cab ride from the National Mall if you get tired and want to take a cab back from your day of sightseeing. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the Premium Suites on the 15th floor, free wifi, snacks & drinks and a Keu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Rachel A

Dear Rachel,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of my hotel. We like to provide comfortable accommodations for families and we are honored to know that you found us to be a perfect fit for yours. I'm also pleased to know that you enjoyed the Premium Suite amenities on the 15th floor. I hope if you find yourself back in DC you will stay with us again. Until then, safe and happy travels.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked our reservation to stay at this hotel back in March,2014. I called at 3pm on our arrival date of May 20, 2014 to make sure our room would be ready and confirmed for late arrival on our credit card as I had requested when I made the reservation. The front desk clerk confirmed that we were guaranteed a room on our credit card, no worries she would see us whenever we arrived that night. When we arrived at the hotel around 9:30pm we were told the hotel was oversold and they had no rooms for us. They had booked us a room in Maryland at a Marriott on the University of Maryland campus,10 miles away for the night. We were very unhappy and explained that we had confirmed earlier in the day and were told our room was guaranteed. The manager said there were no rooms as they were overbooked and he had confirmed a room for us in Maryland as no other hotels had room in the city of DC and to come back at 10am the next day. They paid for our room, but the inconvenience of driving to Maryland after unloading our bags, especially as we were going to return our rental car to the airport that night, disappointment, and stress of the whole situation, didn't make it right. There were other families also affected and extremely upset in the lobby. This is not a good business practice. We primarily stay at Hilton owned properties, but I have never experienced this before. After reading other posts about this hotel on this site and learning this practice is called "Walker", I find this extremely sad, especially for families coming to DC and excited to have a great experience seeing this wonderful city. Shame on you Embassy Suites and the whole Hilton organization to allow this to happen. Guaranteed should mean GUARANTEED! Let's see, if I hadn't showed up, would might credit card have been charged? I surely think so.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 4Kai56
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Greetings 4Kai56,

I am disappointed to read your experience at my hotel and completely understand your frustration. Let me begin by apologizing for the inconvenience you experienced. This is not a normal occurrence and something we work consciously to avoid. I know we have attempted to make contact with you and would hope you will give us the chance to make this right and welcome you back properly. If you happen to see this response, please don't hesitate to reach to me directly so I might assist.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Love staying at this hotel when I'm in DC. World-Class staff and service. I specially want to thank Adanna providing the best customer service ever. She help me secure a room when the hotel was sold out. Thanks Adanna for being the best. Who do I need to talk to about your raise. Great smile and personality! Thanks again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Brent,

Thank you for taking the time to send such wonderful praises on our hotel and of course the lovely Adanna, we are lucky to have her and I will certainly make sure that you appreciated the hospitality she showed you. I am very happy to know you enjoyed your stay at my hotel and if you find yourself back in DC we look forward to welcoming you back.