“Good hotel, but it is the people who made it great!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
California
“Good hotel, but it is the people who made it great!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I just stayed at the Embassy Suites Convention Center for approximately 2 months. In that time, there are things that may break or not work right, but it was always dealt with promptly. Before I even arrived at the hotel I was put into contact with the sales department. Linda helped me with my reservation and she was great. She answered all my questions and went above in beyond in every way possible.

Once at the hotel, I had a good overall experience with the facilities but the people who work here made it special. At the front desk, Martes and Robbie were always there for me and very responsive to my needs. Samare at the bell desk always had a smile and just him saying hello in the morning made a huge impression.

Housekeeping was the highlight. Delcita was assigned to my room and she was happy to work around my every changing schedule. She was one of the nicest people I've met and always had a great attitude. She seems like she genuinely enjoys her job and this hotel is lucky to have her on their staff.

All-in-all a great experience and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 257erike
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Erik,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very kind, thoughtful and reflective review of my hotel. Linda in Sales truly is very helpful and I am happy to hear she helped to facilitate your arrival and welcome here. Robbie and Martes are also wonderful and I am pleased to know they were warm and receptive in helping you at the front desk. And of course, Delcita truly is a charm, we are lucky to have her and I am very happy that you were able to experience her genuine kindness and professionalism.

I appreciate all of this wonderful and kind feedback, I know a 2 month stay anywhere can have it's challenges but that fact that everything was dealt with promptly and efficiently is wonderful to hear. We would be more than happy to welcome you back if your travels bring you back to DC. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 June 2014

the hotel worked well for metro transportation--included breakfast was an added bonus! Nice restaurants in the area. Would recommend this hotel for all age groups. It was a very quiet night's rest in this lovely hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Cindy,

I appreciate you taking a moment to write this very kind review of my hotel. Our location puts us just minutes from the very convenient DC metro and I am pleased to know you took advantage of that. With the CityCenterDC project and all of the great stores and restaurants going up in this area there are many wonderful places to eat and shop within walking distance. I am very happy to know you and your family enjoyed your stay here and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We took the metro in from the airport. We took the yellow line to Gallery Place. Super easy, no transfer, and cost $2.50. Buy a SmarTrip card at the station. Short walk from the metro station to the hotel. We walked everywhere and always felt safe around the hotel at night. The breakfast was fine. Even though it was crowded we always found a place to eat. The hotel seems to cater to groups but that didn't cause any problems.

1 Thank upgraded
Greetings Upgraded,

Thank you for letting the Embassy Suites be your home away from home while visiting Washington DC. Your review is concise yet informative and touches on some good points. This goes hand in hand with your Senior Contributor status listed by Trip Advisor. I see lots of positive feedback and I am glad we were able to keep you and your family happy.

I appreciate your time in posting this review and want to make sure you know we would be delighted to welcome you back should travel bring you our way.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in May 2014 with my adult son. We wanted someplace within walking distance of all of the main sites, at a reasonable price, and without having to take the metro back and forth. Embassy Suites filled the bill.

Be sure to check variations on the number of nights you want to stay to get the best price. I found two sets of consecutive two-night stays for $ 169. per night plus tax, by far the best price for a refundable booking near downtown which still gave me HHonors points. I talked to many people who spent more than this for hotels out by the airport requiring rides in and out on the metro, whereas we were able to stop at the hotel for lunch or to have a mid-day swim before going out again.

With the included breakfast, daily Happy Hour, frig and microwave in kitchen area of room, we were able to buy some fruit, keep leftovers and make lunches to bring with us. Good value and allowed us to eat healthy meals. Breakfast included lots of choices and included a cook-to-order option, which we never bothered with. Food at the buffet went quickly and was always replenished quickly.

No views from this hotel, but the area felt safe even when I was alone, and the entire hotel was spotless. The indoor pool provided a wonderful break after a day in 80+ degree weather, and again, was well-maintained.

I hate having to pay for internet, but they have free internet kiosks in the lobby which were adequate for us to email friends and check email. Free access to print boarding passes.

This hotel is within a brisk 15-30 minute walk of all of the major attractions, 5 minutes from Chinatown (try Tony Cheng's restaurant) and 2 minutes from the Capitol City Brewhouse. After a day of rambling it was only a $6-10 cab ride home. We never used the buses or metro but with walking and a few cab rides, got around without a problem.

On the first day, we arrived at 9 AM, and had our luggage promptly stored and were texted when our room was ready before noon. On our last day we left luggage and came back in the evening to be taken to our next hotel. Even though we had checked out, we were welcome to use the pool and other facilities until we left. Front desk personnel were incredibly helpful the entire time, and the room maid provided extras (coffee, pillows, toiletries) as requested.

My only complaint would be that our room, 208, had a connecting door which allowed us to hear comings and goings and some loud voices on the two nights that the next room was in use. But really, this was a minor problem. We usually ask for a room away from the elevator (rooms 220+), but took this room as it was ready earlier in the day. Cannot fault this hotel in any major way, and I would recommend to friends without hesitation.

Room Tip: Some rooms with connecting doors available. If sensitive to noise, request rooms away from the eleva...
3 Thank torontogal-99
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hello TorontoGal,

Wow, what a thoughtful and very elaborate review of my hotel, I couldn't have written a better review myself! Thank you for all of the kind and complimentary things you've had to say about your stay here you really provided a great deal of positive feedback and I appreciate you taking a moment to do this.

It appears you have truly taken advantage of all the great amenities this hotel has to offer from the location, free breakfast and drinks to the pool, internet kiosks and friendly service. It is such a pleasure to read reviews like yours where the guest has truly been able to experience the level of hospitality to we aim to provide with each and every guest.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review. I genuinely appreciate your openness in sharing your experience and I hope to welcome you back again if you find yourself in back in DC.

Seabrook, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here for a short 4 day trip to DC. The hotel is very nice, with large enough rooms for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids) to have plenty of room to spread out and have our own space. The room was clean and had a fridge and a microwave, which was nice for our left over pizza. We booked the AAA package which gave us free wifi and a 2 pm checkout which was awesome!

The walk to the mall area is between 15 and 20 minutes, mostly downhill from the hotel, so its an easy walk. The taxi to Union Station was about $10 bucks (without tip), so it was close too. We also walked about 3 blocks to the metro (metro center) which was very convenient when we were tired of walking.

Breakfast was wonderful (fresh omelettes and eggs to order, or a buffet line which were both good). And every evening they had a small reception with drinks and snacks (chips, crackers, cheese, celery) which was a nice touch.

The only complaint was the pool and the hot tub. The pool is 3'3" deep the entire pool and there were very few parents watching their kids. I got nervous watching the kids jump into the pool with it that shallow. It was a decent temperature, so you could at least swim in it some. Also the hot tub was HOT! Almost too hot for me and way too hot for my 3 year old. It had to be at the upper temp range of 103 degrees. The hot tub needs to be cooled down some, there's no need for it to be that hot.

The staff was very nice and very helpful.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Nicole,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of my hotel. I am pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed a very comfortable stay in our 2-room suites, even having room to spread out and relax a bit. We truly aim to ensure that every area of service is to our guests standards and I want to apologize for the temperature in our hot tub. I have personally reached out to the Engineering Team to ensure that the temperature is set to a degree that is comfortable to all guests of the hotel.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review of the hotel. I hope you had safe travels back to the Lone Star State and if travel finds you back in DC, I hope to welcome you back here. Until then, safe and happy travels.

Chalfont, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Great for kids and great for families. Awesome evening reception and fantastic breakfast. Great location and reasonable rates especially for summer. Will return next year hopefully to visit more of the DC museums and attractions.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hi chad,
Hi Thomas,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on my hotel. I always look forward to and appreciate getting feedback from our guests on their experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your visit next year!

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 week in early May. First part was business, 2nd part was pleasure.

The location is great! Walked to convention center, national archives, ford theater, caught metro to most other sites.

Breakfast is great! So tired of hotel breakfasts...make your own waffle, rubbery eggs, etc that the "let me make u a fresh omelet" line was awesome! I ate more egg dishes that week then I usually do in 6 months! Fresh fruit topped off the wonderfulness of it.

The suite was great! Two business partners to the room for sleeping and it was great having a door dividing the bed area from the living room for early risers, private phone calls, etc.

We asked a doorman about a good steak restaurant and he literally walked us the 3 or 4 blocks to the place he recommended. Walking appeared painful for this older gentleman but he insisted on helping us get there. What a sweetie pie! I wish I remembered his name.

Having to pay for internet AND having your own personal hot spot blocked so u HAD to pay for internet if u wanted to use it in your room was not cool. $10 a day to be online in your hotel room seemed a total ripoff. Internet is "free" in the lobby. Frequently all the seats in the lobby was full.

Hot tub was so very hot that some couldn't get in at all and those that did, couldn't stay long enough to relax the muscles. Guest services talked some circle about it being so hot from winter and not having cooled yet for summer temps but it was an indoor hot tub so the varying outside temps shouldn't matter much. Regardless, we were here 7 nights and it never was adjusted. Bummer.

When I made the online reservations at honors.com. I listed the name of each person in each room I reserved. When checking in, they couldn't find any reservations except under my name. Later in the week, a colleague had a package overnighted to her but ES returned it to sender since they didn't have anyone listed with that name. This colleague had checked in several hours after I did so you would have thought they would have updated the names...especially since she was not staying in the rom with me.

As you can see, There were good and bad things about our stay. From the name and for the price ( $260 per night, per room), I expected a bit more.
Now I understand why they didn't have a higher TA rating.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Friend,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review of your stay here. I'm thrilled that you were able to utilize our convenient location, the spacious rooms and of course a wonderful breakfast each morning. Of course it is our goal to ensure you have a comfortable stay whether on business or pleasure and I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties with the package delivery and the hot tub. In the future it would be helpful to notify the front desk of any packages being delivered, this way we can assure that it is collected and held for your room number. Additionally I have notified our Engineering team regarding the hot tub and they are currently investigating the issue to ensure that the temperature is set comfortably for each guest. We appreciate all feedback and we will do everything we can to ensure that we provide our guests with a 5-star experience. We hope to welcome you back in the future and earn that last star.