“Disappointed with our stay”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We are loyal Embassy Suites customers and we try to stay with them whenever we go on vacation. Compared to other Embassy Suites hotels we have stayed with, this one is a little disappointing.

The primary reason we prefer Embassy Suites is because of the free hot breakfast in the morning. This will provide our family a complete breakfast and saves us at least 30 minutes if we have to eat our breakfast outside. We find that paying more for the hotel stay is worth it because of this breakfast. We also like the "manager's reception" in the evening, but we can't utilize this benefit on most days of the stay. This is common to all Embassy Suites. In this hotel, our experience with the breakfast and manager's reception were terrible. It is extremely crowded, long lines to get foods, congested, and overall a bad experience. Not that they don't have space. Manager's reception was a joke. They don't have an experienced bartender. They offer a limited variety of drinks. Food/snacks are pathetic. They should visit other hotels and see how wonderful it is. For example, Embassy Suites in Bellevue, WA serves an outstanding breakfast and manager's reception.

The hotel location is not very close to subway stations. You have to walk a few blocks to get to the station. If you want to go to White House or some of the attractions on the National Mall, you are better off walking all the way. So, location wise, it is not too bad but not super convenient.

Sure, I will continue to be a loyal Embassy Suites customer, but if I ever go back to DC, I will try other options before settling for Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sudhi
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Sudhi,

Let me first say thank you for taking the time to share so candidly your experience staying at my hotel, I very much appreciate the feedback you have provided here and will ensure that I address everything you have expressed with my staff. As a loyal Embassy Suites customer and as any guest in my hotel, I value your experiences and want to be sure that everything is up to your standards.

I sincerely apologize for the lines and overall service you experienced with the morning breakfast and the evening reception. The summer months can bring in exceptionally high volumes of people and traffic that tend to back up the speediness of these amenities. In response to this review, I arranged a team meeting to discuss constructive ways to alleviate these issues. We have since implemented a system that provides a much more organized process for both the Evening Reception and Breakfast that has drastically cut back on the lines and has increased the overall service we are able to provide to our guests. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we could fix this for our guests.

Again I appreciate you providing your very poignant thoughts on your stay here and I apologize for the disappointment we caused. We have taken action on this and will continue making corrective changes when we receive feedback such as this. I am pleased that you will continue to be a loyal Embassy Suites customer and I hope you will reach out to me personally upon your next trip to DC so I can aid in assuring that you have a pleasant stay here.

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center

Reviewed 11 July 2014

From arrival to departure the staff of Embassy Suites Hotel is there to serve. The valet attendant greeted us with a smile and a handshake. He represented the hotel quite well as he explained the rates of valet parking and how the staff would be available to serve us. I have used valet parking before but they do not usually explain their service. Each attendant whether male or female served quite well. As we entered the hotel, we were further greeted and informed of all their services and amenities. I strongly recommend a stay at this hotel. It is centrally located with an outstanding staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Lynona,

I am honored that you chose us as your home away from home for your couples vacation. And, it makes me very happy to read that you enjoyed the wonderful service that has earned us the title of "friendliest hotel in DC." Our valet service truly is exceptional and I'm very happy to hear that you were not only greeted with a handshake but additionally made clear of the services provided. We go to great lengths to ensure our guests feel comfortable and it sounds like you truly were able to experience everything that makes this hotel so great. I appreciate you taking the time to write this very kind feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you are visiting Washington, DC for the attractions, this hotel is situated where you can walk to lots of attractions. For those out of walking distance, there are several Metro stations nearby. There also are plenty of restaurants around the area. This hotel is up to par with most Embassy Suites, a perfect place for families to stay.

1  Thank Luther T

Luther,

Thank you for taking a moment to write this great review of my hotel! I am glad to know that you were able to take advantage of our location and the nearby attractions, we are truly lucky to be situated in such a great area of DC.

If you find yourself back in DC, please use the promo code TRP for complimentary internet and as always, the friendliest service in DC. This code is also available to any future booking for Trip Advisor visitors booking at my hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for a meeting. The meeting was at another location so cannot comment on the meeting facilities here. The room was good. Comfortable and clean with a nice view and was quiet. A lot of attractions and restaurants within easy walking distance. The breakfast was actually better than some I have had at other Embassy properties, and they were all very good. If you have a chance try their interesting spin on the B+G.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

James,

I appreciate you taking a moment to write this very kind review of my hotel. I am happy to know you enjoyed a nice, comfortable stay in our rooms and got downstairs to take in a great morning breakfast at our restaurant. Our Chef is pretty awesome so it always feels like a treat to get such a delicious breakfast. I hope if business brings you back to DC you will stay with us again. Until then safe and happy travels.

Charles.Hill@hilton.com

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our family stayed here 6 nights. The hotel is 3, 4, and 5 blocks away from 3 Metro stations. The breakfast in the mornings was one of the highlights for our family with 2 kids. The food was excellent and the service, particularly from the chefs cooking the egg dishes, was outstanding. The evening cocktails (5:30-7:30) with light appetizers was also great. We also liked returning to the hotel to find ice-cold water (lightly flavored with lemon and lime) in the lobby. We stayed over the 4th of July and it was nice having the option of walking back to the hotel from the mall (as opposed to waiting in long lines at the Metro.)

There were several negatives, which pushed me close to a 4 star review. Several nights were hard to sleep because of the noise (thin walls/air vents and noises from the street) and inconsistent room temperatures. Also, the pool is pretty small with a 3 foot depth and seemed to be heavily treated with chemicals.

However, overall, we were happy with the choice of hotels. Excellent base for families exploring DC.

1  Thank ProfLonghair

ProfLongHair,

I really enjoy reading the feedback that our guests provide and this was certainly a well thought out review with great information on what we are doing well. I haven't received much feedback on the water with lime and lemon but it's really good to know that guests are taking advantage of that and find it refreshing. As a Senior Contributor on Trip Advisor I'm certain you've stayed at many hotels but I am very honored that you have given us five stars and enjoyed such a wonderful visit to my hotel.

If in the future there is ever any issue with noise please let our front desk know immediately, they are always happy to accommodate in these situations and help out as best as they can. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation filled with fireworks and great experiences with the kids. I am happy you chose us to stay with and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Great place to stay for the 4th of July week! Close to the convention center and about 15 - 25 minute walk to many of the sites. Hotel is in a nice safe location. Breakfast was great. One negative: Pool is really small though and it was packed with tons of kids.

Dear Robert,

This is a great, concise review of my hotel and I really appreciate you taking a moment to write this. I hope you caught some great fireworks on the National Mall over the weekend as well. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our family of 5 with three teenagers visited in late June. Was slightly concerned about the 'Convention Center' tag but found that the hotel appeared to be full of other families. We had a spacious double bedroom with one of the boys sleeping on the (large) sofa bed in the other room. Beds were comfortable and rooms were modern and spotless. Also handy to have in room kitchenette (microwave/fridge).

Breakfast time can be busy but there's a lot of staff so the queues aren't any length. The hotel also has a happy hour aimed at families where adults can get free wine beer and kids have lemonade & snacks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Declan,

Wow, I can only imagine what it must be like traveling with 3 teenagers but to hear that we were able to provide such a great and accommodating stay is absolutely fantastic. We are certainly close to the convention center but that puts us right in the center of many other DC attractions which makes our location so great. I am glad you able to enjoy this. I am honored that you chose us to be your home away from home coming all the way from Ireland and really appreciate the feedback you have provided here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.