“Love the concept” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Baltimore
“Love the concept”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Great new restaurant. Love the concept -- it's simple and tasty.

At Donburi, it's order/pay first, then sit down and eat. Tip is optional, but be nice. Donburi offers a variety of rice bowls, which are a Japanese staple, but with a hint of Korean fusion. Prices are very reasonable, especially since some of the ingredients are naturally expensive. Loved the sake uni donburi. The unagidonburi and the mixed katsu donburi are also other excellent choices.

I think since Donburi as a business is a little new, the staff is trying to orient themselves to the restaurant processes. Sometimes, it can seem a little hectic, especially when there are a few takeout orders.

Nevertheless, the owner was really nice. We were torn between the many options to choose from, but he was able to accommodate with a custom order. As a side note, I love that they offer Mexican Coca-Cola sodas.

Visited March 2014

Wisconsin
“Excellent, Piping Hot, Donburi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Although not the dish you will always find at fancy, expensive Japanese restaurants, donburi is kind of 'home cooking' that is one of my favorite Japanese meals. I was pleased to discover this new little restaurant while visiting DC. If I lived here I'd be a regular. I think it has been open only a month or so. Like donburi, this isn't a fancy place. It is very small, and you all sit at a counter while the donburi is made in front of you. This also means that you won't get a fresher bowl of donburi anywhere. It gets to you fresher from the stove than it even would if made in most homes. And it is very good. They make about a half dozen or more varieties here. I got katsu donburi and was pleased.

The only problem you might find with the place is waiting to get a seat if they are busy, since it is small, but I very much recommend the place, and will be visiting here again my next trip to DC. They are located in the midst of the Adams Morgan neighborhood.

• Visited January 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best donburi dishes in downtown Washington DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

There was no other donburi restaurant in downtown DC, when I found out this was going to open in Adams Morgan, I can't wait to try it. Donburi is a Japanese "rice bowl dish" consisting of fish, meat, vegetables or other ingredients simmered together and served over rice. It has sweet savory soya sauce.

Then I heard that there was a long queue, I hate waiting, so I only wanted to find a window where I could get there in a non busy hours. I finally did tonight!

I love everything about it. Simple deco, very friendly owner and staff. No waiting time whatsoever. I love the open kitchen. What better than watching others cook for you right in front of your eyes. The prices are so reasonable, I wish I live right next door, so I don't have to cook.

I had Salmon Sashimi, it is a small portion (4 slices) but it is only $6, so no loss there. I then ordered a Mix Katsudon (Panko coated shrimps and pork chop combo) and my companion ordered Ebi Katsudon (Panko coated shrimps). There is cold complimentary green tea on the table. So, if you don't like any bottled or canned drinks, one could have the comp drink. It was tasty, for me it is particularly comforting in winter, though I would have it in any season.

Love it! Will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2013