Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center
Ranked #46 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Florida
“4th of July”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great hotel for a fun time in Washington DC. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. The roof top was so relaxing with a wonderful view of the city. The Cambria Hotel is new and beautiful. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Mimsroy

Thank you for the kind review. I am glad the team delivered great service and helped you make the most of DC. I hear the rooftop provided a decent view of the fireworks! Join us again, perhaps the next Fourth of July, and we’ll make sure to find new and exciting things to keep you coming back!

Attentively,
Francisco Selles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I'm so glad we found this hotel for our family of 6's trip to DC. It was reasonably priced and brand new. We loved the modern decor and the great location. The people were super nice and helpful. It's a safe and easy 3 block walk to the Metro and then just a stop or two to all the major sites in DC. There was a grocery store right next door which was so convenient. The view from the rooftop patio was amazing - Washington Monument and US capitol. We loved this place and will recommend it to all our friends looking for lodging in DC.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear LittleRedMom,

To travel with a family of six sounds like an adventure in itself. I am happy to see that we fit your travel needs. We are very fortunate to have relatively large rooms and lots of great public spaces for our guests. Of course the rooftop is a wonderful spot, but our lobby and outdoor spaces on the second floor are not too shabby ;-)
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we appreciate the referral to family and friends, but of course the highest form of praise would be your return!

Kindest regards to you and your family!
Francisco Selles
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Lovely, modern, clean, new, friendly and helpful staff. Just got back, and I will stay there again. Robust wireless and no password required. I chose this hotel primarily because it is very close to my mother’s house and I like to have a place where we can relax and visit together when I visit. There is a new 24-hour grocery store right next door that has deli, fresh salads, a variety of hot and cold prepared foods, a wide selection of wine and beer. I had breakfast in the Cambria restaurant one morning—it was very good and reasonably priced ($11), especially for a hotel restaurant. There is a Starbucks right outside the door, but please also support the Azi’s cafe across the street!! Azi’s has excellent coffee, teas, breakfast and lunch options, wireless and her place is a neighbourhood fixture, which I hope will not be threatened by Starbucks. The Cambria also happens to be very close to the convention centre and is attached to a condominium apartment building (housing many young urban professionals) that shares the same parking garage underneath. Valet parking is available at the hotel—yes, expensive, but the norm for big cities. The suite(s) may be small by some standards--it has only a tiny fridge and no microwave or other kitchen facilities, but compared to some of the other suite options available in DC, I would say that the Cambria makes up for it with amenities and responsive service. The sleep/bed area is separated by a partial wall divider with a desk, comfy modular couch/chaise combination that opens up to an extra bed. There is a table that rolls out from under the desk. There are two large-screen HD TV’s, one in the sleeping area and one in the living area and more channels than anyone needs. Bathroom is gorgeous with a large glassed-in shower stall (no tub) and big shower head. Lots of electrical outlets in the right places, including by the bed for your phones/ i phones etc. Lighting is done nicely, including in the bathroom. Bedding, towels pillows all top notch. The decor is modern and urban and cleverly uses iconic images of DC and the neighbourhood. There is a (nice looking) fitness center (did not use it) and a small pool upstairs adjacent to a very pleasant roof-top patio. Indeed, this hotel does a very good job with common spaces and areas. The lobby level (one floor up from the street) has couches, lounge areas, big windows, an open bar/restaurant (they’re still waiting on their liquor license—but keep in mind the beer and liquor next door) and outdoor patio. If this is your place, it depends on what you want and need. There were several families there, with children ranging in age. Just one year ago, my husband and I and my sister and her husband and two teens stayed at the Eldon which has big, apartment sized suites and full kitchens. We wanted to cook and have family meals with my mom and it served that purpose, though there are some issues with the Eldon, including that their wireless never works. When it’s just me and my husband, this is going to be our DC home for the near future at least.

Room Tip: Upper room on the south side facing O street have a bit of a view towards the Mall.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sabrina D
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Sabrina D,

I love reading reviews as detailed as yours. You provided highlights of our neighborhood and some great notes on the hotel. It sounds as if you prefer extended-stay properties when you are travelling with the whole family. Though we do not offer full-size kitchens, we do offer amenities and services that will ensure a comfortable stay whether on business or leisure; some which you so graciously pointed out. I am glad you plan to return and expect a follow up review at that time ;-)

At your service, Francisco
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked through choice hotels and for the price paid for one room (4 adults), we thought this hotel was just amazing. Its a new 3 star hotel in the area. Bed and room comfort was excellent. Valet parking is expensive at $38 per night and we did not have any issues with it. Our Valet was good. He got us a trolley when we arrived and took us to the front desk and then to our rooms. Still, this was good for the price we paid compared to other hotels we looked in the area. Breakfast was also not included in the price and we did not try the restaurant inside the hotel. There is a starbucks just outside which was convenient. There is also a Dunkin donuts at 10min walk and we went there. Plenty of dining options also available - Red Toque Cafe (10 min walking) for instance was really good. Mt Vernon Sq metro is at walking distance and you can get to all the attractions from there.

Regarding the surrounding area - In general, we did not like Washington DC city compared to other cities we have visited. It was a little bit of a shock to us given that its the Capital of the USA. Comparing to Boston, it appeared poorly maintained with old dilapidated buildings and trash thrown around outside of the homes etc. The immediate hotel area is just fine. There is a stop and shop nearby and everything looked fine. Little bit away, that changes. I am not saying all areas are like this. But this hotel is pretty close to the heart of the city.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room with view of the Washington Monument and Capitol. Can also be seen...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear RoshinKadannaPally

Thank you for the candid review. I am glad you found our hotel to be a good value and were pleased with the facility as well as the team. The arrival experience is a bit dicey as we await securing our loading zone, but I am glad we compensated through our door-to-door service. In regards to valet, you are spot-on to cite DC is generally expensive and that our price is competitive based on your research, we priced it as such.
Boston is a fantastic city, and while DC is very different, it is very similar in that there is a lot to do and a lot of unique neighborhoods to explore. I do hope you return and continue to explore our always-changing city. Like a lot of people in DC, I am a transplant and I have fallen in love with our nation’s Capital and the people I work with at the Cambria Suites.
Safe travels my friends,
Francisco
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Room was nice and clean hotel looks pretty new. Great location to hop on a train to the game it was like 15 mins to get to Nationals Park.

I really had no complaints with it when it comes to our stay it was actually really nice. I would come back if it wasn't for what happened after we checked out...

Front desk called the valet to get our car. Took a while but he finally showed up and he was nice enough to open the driver door to let me in. I noticed a strange mark on my mirror so when we pulled around the block to get gas I went out to check it out and I notice my driver side fender had a gigantic dent in it. Went back to the hotel and had to go through the whole accident report nonsense and the manager was pretty cool about it.

I know it's not their fault and the car did get fixed, they were pretty good with it even though it did take a little longer than we hoped, but it was just a frustrating experience. We asked if they could comp the room or anything but they could not because we ordered through a third party site which sucked also.

Just another reminder to be careful when valeting your car and inspect it before and after.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sportstraveler26
Dear Sportstraveler26

I’ll be Frank (pun intended): We messed up. I recall this incident as it took place within the first week of opening and it was unpleasant for both of us, as this is not something to take lightly. We are fully insured and take responsibility for such incidents. It did take longer to resolve than we would have liked as it was our first claim and we were learning the process. The good thing is that we have not had to revisit the process since, and our Guest Care Manager and I will do everything in our power to keep it that way (knock on wood). If something were to arise, we will make things right as quickly as possible.

Although a negative score, I do want to thank you for recognizing that overall the stay was “really nice,” and I understand how this incident affected your overall satisfaction.

My sincerest apologies and appreciation for your patience,

Francisco
Summerfield, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We got in late on July 3rd...(we took the Metro to the area and was only a quick couple of block walk) and once we got to our room...WOW!! I could not have been more pleased. Large, COMFORTABLE...We had two separate areas and both had large flat screens. I was hoping for a better fridge but that sooo minor.

From there, we decided to check the Penthouse area out. The indoor pool was great, the gym - WOW!. When we got into town Hurricane Arthur was skirting so it was raining but going out onto the deck...what a view! You could see the Capitol Dome and the Washington Monument. The view from our room reveled the National Cathedral BTW.

We went down to the bar for a drink and I have to tell you, Cristian...he ROCKED...GREAT and FRIENDLY bartender. Zachary, one of the managers, SOOO Friendly...Michelle, I believe her name was...again...SUPER FRIENDLY.....and the drinks were soooo good. I had a spiced apple martini and a watermelon mojito ...you HAVE TO get Cristian to make you a watermelon mojito...OMG!!!!

The neighborhood is so quaint, Saturday morning we went over to a little café across from the hotel. Good breakfast bagels. There is a grocery store up the next block BTW...

We watched one of the World Cup games on one of the TV in one of the lounges....so great to be able to do THAT!

Then we walked to the Mall, maybe 14 blacks from the National Archives....after the fireworks, made our way back...it was probably 11 pm getting back and never felt unsafe at all.

We again visited the bar and had a few of Cristian's watermelon mojitos....SUPERB again!

Saturday morning, we breezed through checkout and had breakfast. Again, was way more than I expected. The Ham and Cheese crescent was HUGE and tasty. James, the chef, who had been at the hotel when we closed the bar down the night before, was there again as was Zachary.

If you are going to visit DC, I highly recommend this hotel not just for the rooms but the staff. EVERYONE was super friendly and accommodating. We'll definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank coprhd
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Coprhd!

I LOVE the energy in your review! When we read it to the team it got us all super pumped up. This is EXACTLY how we want guests to feel when they come through: loving the hotel but most importantly remembering team members for their hospitality and talents whether it be making cocktails, cooking up breakfast, providing sightseeing ideas, servicing your rooms, etc…

Zach, Cristian, James and the entire team send their thanks!
Huntington
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Top notch, the cleanest hotel I have stayed in ever. The hotel staff went above and beyond. Awesome service, great location, comfortable beds and the roof top was perfect. I would recommend this to all.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nasha H
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Weekend getaways to celebrate a special occasion are always fun; leave the cooking and the cleaning to us, and we’ll also give you some ideas to make the most of your time in DC! Sounds like you did and I am glad we contributed to a memorable weekend! Make it a tradition and join us again next year…Best Wishes!

Francisco Sellés