“Great hotel, central location”

Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center
Ranked #50 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed three nights at the Cambria last week while in Washington to see some of the sights. The rooms were spacious, very clean and well maintained. The beds and pillows were comfortable . The staff were helpful and friendly . The location was great, a half hour walk or a short Metro ride to the National Mall. The small shops and restaurants along the way offered a great variety . The area around the hotel is being re-invigorated and as a result, you have grittier areas than others , however, my family was never concerned with safety while walking. The immediate area lacks shopping opportunities but malls were about a five mile drive. The grocery store next door was great and has a great selection of wines and beers.
The rooftop deck is lovely and guests brought their drinks up to the terrace while enjoying the view. It can get very hot on the deck as there isn't any shade and a few umbrellas strategically placed would offer some relief without compromising the view.
Please be aware that breakfast is not included in the very affordable price and that the hotel offers both a breakfast buffet and a breakfast menu. Opt for the menu as the buffet lacks from both variety and flavour, not worth the $16 charge .
The washer and dryer area, as well as the gym and indoor pool, were great to have and our family used it daily.
I have a feeling that as word spreads, this hotel will become much busier. The staff and general manager were very helpful and the valet service was great. We would definitely stay again and recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors to enjoy the view of Washington.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank fannymay25
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear fannymay25,

Thank you for the good review! I appreciate the shout out ;-)

I’d like to take the opportunity to state we are re-looking at the breakfast buffet price-point. The buffet is intended as a convenience for guests on the go, while the a la carte menu has a greater variety and a better value. We will continue to use feedback like yours as we make menu changes over the coming months and anticipate upgrades and perhaps even a changing price-point for the buffet.

My favorite part of your review has to be where you wrote “used it daily,” that is what we hope for that our guests enjoy all our amenities as much as possible.

Thank you for your patronage and maybe we’ll see you next year!

At your service,

Francisco Selles

There are newer reviews for Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed two nights at the Cambria hotel and were very satisfied. The staff was very friendly, especially the parking valet Yothi. We had a suite with two queen beds and a sofabed and it was very clean, very quiet with a nice smelling! Not the odor of old carpet! The beds were really comfortable. Wifi is free. There is an indoor pool and a terrace penthouse with views of the Capitol.
My children was very happy in this hotel.
There is a Starbuck in the same buildind.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Helene P
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Helene P,

We’re happy to hear of your pleasant stay, and your appreciation of our friendly staff. I’ll be certain to pass along your kind comments to our excellent team, especially Yothi. We enjoyed having you as our guest, and we look forward to your next visit with us at the Cambria Suites – Washington DC Convention Center.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Brand new hotel centrally located. I dread writing this review as I do not want too many people to discover my new hotel in DC when I visit! No more Hilton Hotel for me.
Centrally located and a nice warm welcome. I think the GSA could have done a little better job to explain the features and ammenities of the hotel. Up to my big room was awesome. Clean, nice WIFI that works, spacious work area and a comfy bed indeed. TV with many channels. Nice Kohler in the bathroom - but PLEASE Get a bath mat to step out on as the floor is cold!
There is a new supermarket next door where you can also get cooked food as well and lots of beer. The hotel is rather hip and within a 5-7 minute walk to the yellow line. You really dont get much better than this for the cost in DC depsite there being so many other options.

Room Tip: All great rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Spencertraveller
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Spencertraveller,

There is so much to brag about you are absolutely correct, we should make sure everyone knows the wonderful amenities and services offered at our hotel! I am glad you found us to be a good value and take this as an indication that you will join us again if the opportunity arises.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband chose this hotel because of it's dramatically lower price than its competitors ---- which is never a good reason or yardstick for me---- but then our idea of travel differs as well! He believes rooms don't matter because "you don't go on vacation to stay in your room!" Oh boy were we both happily surprised! The Cambria Suites and its remarkable staff from the very personable and highly attentive director of sales, Cat Iheacho to James Thomas-head chef to Raquel Torres the rooms care manager all made our stay exceptional and treated us like visiting royalty.

The Cambria is brand new from the ground up ---- contemporary and sleek --- very, very clean with all the amenities of a big hotel but with the wonderful personal attentiveness to the needs of its guests! Our room was perfect ------it was on the 7th floor with a panoramic street view overlooking the city of DC! The beds were the best ever ----- so nice to crawl into at the end of an exhausting day visiting all the sites! For three out of 5 nights and every morning for breakfast we ate in the dining room--- the breakfast buffet was awesome and the nightly menu was varied and the good cooked to perfection! We enjoyed our daily chats with chef James Thomas personally checking on our meals and insuring I had lemon for the copious glasses of water I drank at each meal! Our server, whose name unfortunately escapes me, was excellent as well and very pregnant at the time to boot! I apologize for not remembering her name because her dedication to our dining comfort and satisfaction was excellent!

This hotel sits in a neighborhood of DC (near the convention center) with a grocery store conveniently located in the same block. The metro is just a 4 -5 block walk away.

If there's a downside to the story, it's a personal one that has caused me much continuing grief ---- the hotel's internet server is less than predictable or secure as I was hacked while sitting in the dining room the day before our trip was ending. I reported the issue to the front desk that afternoon when I became aware of the seriousness of problem. I was told by a young desk clerk that someone else had been hacked that morning as well and was very angry about it.
She told me the manager was investigating the problem and would contact me later. I never heard for him although I saw him behind the desk several times that day and the next. I suppose the irate gentleman got the apology for "both of us".

If ever in DC on holiday or business ------- the Cambria Suites is the best all round choice!

Room Tip: Choose a room as high as possible ( and away from the elevators) with a city view to avoid street n...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Desooze
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Desooze,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! All the associates you listed appreciate the recognition, including the super-lovely, always-pleasant and currently very-pregnant Tammie ;-)

I will jump right to your concern regarding our internet security:
The guest wireless network utilizes client isolation technology to separate computers and other devices from one another when connected to the hotel network. That being said, use of the internet from any location comes with risks from many possible sources that the hotel cannot protect against, including phishing email or messages, installing malicious software, and clicking a malicious link. With the security precautions in place it is very unlikely that an individual inside the hotel’s network was targeting other users and exploiting or actively hacking their computers.

We take great pride in offering the best amenities and partnering with the very best vendors, including our internet service providers. In the lag-time I took to respond to this posting, I have personally discussed this issue with our network administrator and trouble-shooted all devices and confirmed the latest software versions are in place protecting our guests and office networks.

Thank you for the overall positive review and I hope to have reassured you and future guests of our network security.

Attentively,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Did not book this hotel but was inconvenienced by another local hotel due to overbooking so I was taken to this place to stay for the night. The taxi driver informed me that the hotel was recently opened, it looked nice from the outside but that did nothing to help my mood. I checked in that evening around 9pm, the staff was pleasant enough, apologized for me being inconvenienced by the other hotel and told me that "at least I would get to sleep in a NEW bed". The room was gorgeous, just as in photos I viewed the next day, the towels in the bathroom were the softest Ive ever felt in my life. I had a problem with ordering room service but that was miniscule. I took a shower, went to bed and got up the next morning to check out an be on my way for work business. I itched all day but I have allergies so I really thought nothing of it. That night after meeting some friends for happy hour drinks at the original hotel, I took a shower and looked at my ankle because it was itching only to discover bites, bed bug bites I later found out. I had only been in this hotel the night before, I contacted the hotel immediately, spoke with two of the staff that will remain nameless that brushed me off with the casual "the hotel is new" "we'll investigate and get back to you"...I've never heard from any one yet and I stayed there July 15. Be aware of room #307 and just check, check and recheck because if you've been bitten and you stayed here it's because they have bed bugs in some of there rooms. The hotel also allows pets which in my opinion is not sanitary for the next guest, you don't know what someone's animal has on or in them. Not acceptable and very disappointed I will NEVER stay here again or recommend it to anyone. And just so you know, my stay was paid for by my original hotel so its not as if I am gaining anything by writing this, I am out nothing financially but the pain I felt and fear that I would or had dragged bed bugs with me to another hotel or home was one I do not want to feel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
13  Thank Rae H
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Rae H,

We take matters like this extremely seriously. We had a professional exterminator investigate the room thoroughly and no insects were found. We take extensive measures to ensure we address any issues like the one you mention. Again, a professional did not find any indication. Please contact me if you have any questions. I’ll be happy to share the report with you. We hope you give us another opportunity.

If any of our TripAdvisor visitors have any questions on this issue or any other comments, please email me directly at gm@cameradc.com.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was in town for a conference and this hotel was great. It had an extra work space, living room space, that was helpful. The bed, sheets, and pillows were very comfortable. The room service menu had a lot of variety and it was reasonably priced. Overall this was a wonderful hotel stay experience.

My only complaint is that there is not free coffee in the lobby as advertised, but a coffee maker in your room (that makes coffee flavored water).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 321beth
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for the review 321beth!

I have looked through the websites to make sure none of them state we offer a complimentary coffee station. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. In the past couple of months we have worked hard with our online travel partners to ensure they have the correct information on their portals, as it should be! Along the way we have uncovered some errors, some thanks to the patience and understanding of guests like you.

Overall I am thrilled you enjoyed your room and our restaurant! Please find an excuse to visit us again!

Best,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Here for a quick business trip.. and stayed at this beautiful, clean, and incredibly comfortable hotel. Close to several metro stops. Beautiful rooms. Good prices. Quick walking distance to Logan Circle + U-Street Corridor. Friendly and helpful staff. :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Josephpwilson

It sounds like you know the city well! U-street is a fun part of town and of course the restaurants just to the East of the hotel in Logan and Dupont are a fantastic treat! I have lived here for a year and have yet to cross them all off my “To Do List”.

Thank you for the kind review!
Attentively,