“Comfortable 3 star”

Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center
Ranked #50 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hotel is about a 10 minute walk (north west) from Mount Vernon Square Metro - easy to find. From the Mount Vernon metro, you are really only minutes away to major metro stops, so it was very easy to get around the city. there is a grocery store around the corner.

We arrived at the hotel around 4 pm (on our 6 nights stay) - easy check in and our room was basically ready - when we went up after a few minutes from the check in, the staff was just leaving.

Room was on the 7th floor. We booked a 2 queen bed room...my first impression was very clean (as expected for a new hotel), plenty of room for us, 2 tvs (one of which was in the little living room) with very good channels for us (lots of sports stations), decent closet space with over a dozen hangers, good size safe, ironing board/iron included with coffee maker and a little fridge. Bathroom was clean and up to standards although poor drainage in the sink (informed front desk twice, but no one every came to check it out). the beds were very comfortable with 4 pillows of different softness so we slept well.

Dead bolt lock did not close as the lock to hit the frame (informed front desk twice and maids twice over the coarse of the first 3 days), but no one every came to check it out) - this seemed odd and lazy of the hotel, as the previous guests would have all had the same issue, yet it was not attended to (although the regular lock did obviously work)

Air conditioning worked great as it is essential in DC as the weather during our stay was always around 90 degrees.

There are only two elevators from the lobby and another elevator that gets to from the ground floor to just the main lobby. The 10th floor has a small pool (didn't use it because there were always kids in it) - I would advise the hotel to impose restrictions on guests bringing in bottled alcohol or anything glass related or at least enforcing restrictions if they exist. I was using the gym on 3 occasions and on all 3 occasions saw glass bottled beer being drunk around the pool area with kids around.

Lobby/Bar area was very clean and quiet.
Staff was professional.

No issues with using the baggage storage after checkout as it was hassle free

Overall, this newly opened 3 star was a very good find and I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Domenicd2000
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Domenicd2000,

I appreciate the candid review. It has come up a couple of time that there is a breakdown in communication in regards to engineering issues. Our Chief Engineer Joe is incredibly dedicated and attentive so please don’t let this be a reflection on him and his team. It is our entire team’s obligation to make sure any issue, not exclusive to engineering, is reported and followed up on in a reasonable time frame.

There should be no glass in the pool room itself, and later this year there can be no outside alcohol on the penthouse. We will be more vigilant as safety is no accident (corny but true).

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I will start with the good. The rooftop view was beautiful. The hotel is very clean and the location is good for the convention center. It is just a 10 minute walk and there is a metro station at the convention center so easy access to that.There is a Giant across the street.
When I reserved the hotel there was no mention of the 38.00 parking fee per day. I reserved the hotel before it was open. There is a garage next door for 30.00 a night or if you get really lucky you may find a spot on the street but you will need to keep a watch out for an opening. There is a very small refrigerator in the room. No freezer though. No microwave. The swimming pool looked murky and the pump was not on. Don't get a room near an ice machine if you are a light sleeper. It is really loud. We had domestic disputes on our floor the entire weekend. Nothing was done.Our room keys got deactivated while we were gone for the day. It was disconcerting to come back and not be able to get in your room.I also had trouble at check out because the desk clerk told me my card was invalid but I had already checked it and they were holding the money plus 50.00 that no one told me about when I checked in. The manager had to step in and get her the authorization. For the price, you do not get any perks like breakfast and the restaurant food is not great and very expensive. I will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: don't stay near an ice machine
6  Thank ConnieP757
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear ConnieP757,

Parking may seem unreasonable at $38 but I assure you it is in line with all hotels in the NW quadrant of the city. Parking is a commodity and often involves garage maintenance, staffing, security among other costs. To compound that, it is taxed at a much higher rate than other goods and services. This will continue to come up, so I can only commit towards working to communicate this as effectively as possible. It is on our websites and we have confirmed it is on travel partner sites as well.

We have had no reports of “disputes.” We are so committed to ensuring this does not become a party hotel that we task a private security firm to conducts rounds and be available for any reported noise complaints. We take a zero-tolerance stance. I keep very close tabs on this and have not had any instances that have not been resolved on first contact as of today.

I dissapointed that you have decided we will not be your hotel of choice when visiting the district, but if that changes we welcome the opportunity to start anew with you.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed three nights at the Cambria last week while in Washington to see some of the sights. The rooms were spacious, very clean and well maintained. The beds and pillows were comfortable . The staff were helpful and friendly . The location was great, a half hour walk or a short Metro ride to the National Mall. The small shops and restaurants along the way offered a great variety . The area around the hotel is being re-invigorated and as a result, you have grittier areas than others , however, my family was never concerned with safety while walking. The immediate area lacks shopping opportunities but malls were about a five mile drive. The grocery store next door was great and has a great selection of wines and beers.
The rooftop deck is lovely and guests brought their drinks up to the terrace while enjoying the view. It can get very hot on the deck as there isn't any shade and a few umbrellas strategically placed would offer some relief without compromising the view.
Please be aware that breakfast is not included in the very affordable price and that the hotel offers both a breakfast buffet and a breakfast menu. Opt for the menu as the buffet lacks from both variety and flavour, not worth the $16 charge .
The washer and dryer area, as well as the gym and indoor pool, were great to have and our family used it daily.
I have a feeling that as word spreads, this hotel will become much busier. The staff and general manager were very helpful and the valet service was great. We would definitely stay again and recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors to enjoy the view of Washington.
3  Thank fannymay25
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear fannymay25,

Thank you for the good review! I appreciate the shout out ;-)

I’d like to take the opportunity to state we are re-looking at the breakfast buffet price-point. The buffet is intended as a convenience for guests on the go, while the a la carte menu has a greater variety and a better value. We will continue to use feedback like yours as we make menu changes over the coming months and anticipate upgrades and perhaps even a changing price-point for the buffet.

My favorite part of your review has to be where you wrote “used it daily,” that is what we hope for that our guests enjoy all our amenities as much as possible.

Thank you for your patronage and maybe we’ll see you next year!

At your service,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed two nights at the Cambria hotel and were very satisfied. The staff was very friendly, especially the parking valet Yothi. We had a suite with two queen beds and a sofabed and it was very clean, very quiet with a nice smelling! Not the odor of old carpet! The beds were really comfortable. Wifi is free. There is an indoor pool and a terrace penthouse with views of the Capitol.
My children was very happy in this hotel.
There is a Starbuck in the same buildind.

1  Thank Helene P
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Helene P,

We’re happy to hear of your pleasant stay, and your appreciation of our friendly staff. I’ll be certain to pass along your kind comments to our excellent team, especially Yothi. We enjoyed having you as our guest, and we look forward to your next visit with us at the Cambria Suites – Washington DC Convention Center.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Brand new hotel centrally located. I dread writing this review as I do not want too many people to discover my new hotel in DC when I visit! No more Hilton Hotel for me.
Centrally located and a nice warm welcome. I think the GSA could have done a little better job to explain the features and ammenities of the hotel. Up to my big room was awesome. Clean, nice WIFI that works, spacious work area and a comfy bed indeed. TV with many channels. Nice Kohler in the bathroom - but PLEASE Get a bath mat to step out on as the floor is cold!
There is a new supermarket next door where you can also get cooked food as well and lots of beer. The hotel is rather hip and within a 5-7 minute walk to the yellow line. You really dont get much better than this for the cost in DC depsite there being so many other options.

Room Tip: All great rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Spencertraveller

Dear Spencertraveller,

There is so much to brag about you are absolutely correct, we should make sure everyone knows the wonderful amenities and services offered at our hotel! I am glad you found us to be a good value and take this as an indication that you will join us again if the opportunity arises.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband chose this hotel because of it's dramatically lower price than its competitors ---- which is never a good reason or yardstick for me---- but then our idea of travel differs as well! He believes rooms don't matter because "you don't go on vacation to stay in your room!" Oh boy were we both happily surprised! The Cambria Suites and its remarkable staff from the very personable and highly attentive director of sales, Cat Iheacho to James Thomas-head chef to Raquel Torres the rooms care manager all made our stay exceptional and treated us like visiting royalty.

The Cambria is brand new from the ground up ---- contemporary and sleek --- very, very clean with all the amenities of a big hotel but with the wonderful personal attentiveness to the needs of its guests! Our room was perfect ------it was on the 7th floor with a panoramic street view overlooking the city of DC! The beds were the best ever ----- so nice to crawl into at the end of an exhausting day visiting all the sites! For three out of 5 nights and every morning for breakfast we ate in the dining room--- the breakfast buffet was awesome and the nightly menu was varied and the good cooked to perfection! We enjoyed our daily chats with chef James Thomas personally checking on our meals and insuring I had lemon for the copious glasses of water I drank at each meal! Our server, whose name unfortunately escapes me, was excellent as well and very pregnant at the time to boot! I apologize for not remembering her name because her dedication to our dining comfort and satisfaction was excellent!

This hotel sits in a neighborhood of DC (near the convention center) with a grocery store conveniently located in the same block. The metro is just a 4 -5 block walk away.

If there's a downside to the story, it's a personal one that has caused me much continuing grief ---- the hotel's internet server is less than predictable or secure as I was hacked while sitting in the dining room the day before our trip was ending. I reported the issue to the front desk that afternoon when I became aware of the seriousness of problem. I was told by a young desk clerk that someone else had been hacked that morning as well and was very angry about it.
She told me the manager was investigating the problem and would contact me later. I never heard for him although I saw him behind the desk several times that day and the next. I suppose the irate gentleman got the apology for "both of us".

If ever in DC on holiday or business ------- the Cambria Suites is the best all round choice!

Room Tip: Choose a room as high as possible ( and away from the elevators) with a city view to avoid street n...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Desooze
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Desooze,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! All the associates you listed appreciate the recognition, including the super-lovely, always-pleasant and currently very-pregnant Tammie ;-)

I will jump right to your concern regarding our internet security:
The guest wireless network utilizes client isolation technology to separate computers and other devices from one another when connected to the hotel network. That being said, use of the internet from any location comes with risks from many possible sources that the hotel cannot protect against, including phishing email or messages, installing malicious software, and clicking a malicious link. With the security precautions in place it is very unlikely that an individual inside the hotel’s network was targeting other users and exploiting or actively hacking their computers.

We take great pride in offering the best amenities and partnering with the very best vendors, including our internet service providers. In the lag-time I took to respond to this posting, I have personally discussed this issue with our network administrator and trouble-shooted all devices and confirmed the latest software versions are in place protecting our guests and office networks.

Thank you for the overall positive review and I hope to have reassured you and future guests of our network security.

Attentively,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Did not book this hotel but was inconvenienced by another local hotel due to overbooking so I was taken to this place to stay for the night. The taxi driver informed me that the hotel was recently opened, it looked nice from the outside but that did nothing to help my mood. I checked in that evening around 9pm, the staff was pleasant enough, apologized for me being inconvenienced by the other hotel and told me that "at least I would get to sleep in a NEW bed". The room was gorgeous, just as in photos I viewed the next day, the towels in the bathroom were the softest Ive ever felt in my life. I had a problem with ordering room service but that was miniscule. I took a shower, went to bed and got up the next morning to check out an be on my way for work business. I itched all day but I have allergies so I really thought nothing of it. That night after meeting some friends for happy hour drinks at the original hotel, I took a shower and looked at my ankle because it was itching only to discover bites, bed bug bites I later found out. I had only been in this hotel the night before, I contacted the hotel immediately, spoke with two of the staff that will remain nameless that brushed me off with the casual "the hotel is new" "we'll investigate and get back to you"...I've never heard from any one yet and I stayed there July 15. Be aware of room #307 and just check, check and recheck because if you've been bitten and you stayed here it's because they have bed bugs in some of there rooms. The hotel also allows pets which in my opinion is not sanitary for the next guest, you don't know what someone's animal has on or in them. Not acceptable and very disappointed I will NEVER stay here again or recommend it to anyone. And just so you know, my stay was paid for by my original hotel so its not as if I am gaining anything by writing this, I am out nothing financially but the pain I felt and fear that I would or had dragged bed bugs with me to another hotel or home was one I do not want to feel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
13  Thank Rae H
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Rae H,

We take matters like this extremely seriously. We had a professional exterminator investigate the room thoroughly and no insects were found. We take extensive measures to ensure we address any issues like the one you mention. Again, a professional did not find any indication. Please contact me if you have any questions. I’ll be happy to share the report with you. We hope you give us another opportunity.

If any of our TripAdvisor visitors have any questions on this issue or any other comments, please email me directly at gm@cameradc.com.