“Convenient for catching a baseball game”

Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard
Ranked #69 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Like a previous reviewer commented, it's the place to stay for a ballgame and not have to deal with the mad post game Metro rush. We made that mistake the last time we were in for a game and it took us 1 1/2 hours to get back to our hotel room. It's also close to the Metro, The Capitol, and the Eastern Market. Our room here was a nice size, clean and fresh. The staff is friendly and courteous. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gary r

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my spouse. The rooms were clean and nice. It is only 5 blocks from the Capitol Building and the National Mall. I had no problems getting around and this was a good location. My issues with this place had to do with the details. The bed was not super comfortable and the pillows were too small, like throw pillow size. The AC was pretty loud. The bistro downstairs was good but pricey, and most of the tables needed to be cleaned and the bartender ignored us before we finally asked her if we had to order at the bar or if there was table service. A sign would be nice if you have to order at the bar. Also 5 blocks from the mall and there wasn't a map to found in the lobby. My husband had some issues with the parking people not explaining themselves enough. I did however like the Starbucks in the lobby. I would consider staying here again, but I hope they do a little better next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BSands12
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel when attending the Evening Parade at the Marine Barracks. They had a very reasonable AAA rate and all the basic amenities that one needs. The location was actually very good and the area is really being revitalized. We were close to the Barracks but also within walking distance of the National Mall so in that regard it was very convenient. The hotel is what one would expect from a Courtyard and was clean and well appointed. The front desk staff was hit or miss. The gentleman on the desk when we checked in seemed helpful but really did not give us correct information about parking; fortunately we talked to someone else who set up straight or we would have been ticketed. The next morning the woman at the front desk was incredibly helpful about tips for seeing museums and it all worked out beautifully. Wish I had her name to thank you.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I took our 2 young children to DC for a weekend of baseball and sight seeing. I have stayed at other hotels on the other side of DC, but I chose this one due to its proximity to Nationals Park. I did not want to deal with the metro after the game with 2 tired kids when everyone is trying to get on the metro at the same time. The 3 block walk after the game back to the hotel was much better. The parking is crazy on game nights. However, since I don't ever book a hotel without reading a ton of reviews, I was very aware of the parking. My husband found a lot 1 block over where the parking attendant let us leave our car overnight. The next morning, before heading out, we moved our car into the garage under the hotel. When we checked in we were greeted and taken care of quickly. The room and bathroom were both clean. Everything worked just as it should. My husband and I were both able to connect to the free wi-fi and had no problems using it the entire time we were there. The hotel is a block away from the metro which is really the best and easiest way to get around DC. We had dinner at Five Guys around the corner. The staff there was fantastic. Breakfast came with our room. It was typical hotel food. The neighborhood is in the process of being renovated, but we had no problems walking around to the restaurants. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. If we head back for anymore baseball, this will be the first place I look at for reservations.

1  Thank GotLabradors
Reviewed 16 August 2013

First, let me say that I have stayed at Marriott hotels for many years, I am a Marriott Rewards customer, and they have ALWAYS come through on decent service and attentiveness to their customers.

Well, at this locale, they failed miserably.

This place was inconsiderate from the get-go.The hotel is just a couple of blocks from Nationals Park, home of baseball's Washington Nationals. My son and I had actually planned to go to a Nationals game, but after experiencing a parking nightmare and the hotel's absolute don't-care attitude, we decided to journey to destinations out of town.rather than deal with this hellhole location.

Here's a blow-by-blow. We checked in on a Saturday, a couple of hours before a Nationals game. I parked along the street and rushed in to the front desk and gave my name for the reservation and asked about parking. I was greeted by this statement from an incredibly rude and condescending front desk person: "It's a game night. There IS no parking!'' Well, can I park along the street out front? "ABSOULTELY NOT! That's a taxi stand and you'll be fined $250 if you try to park there.'' Not even in the garage? "No, the garage is full; park along the street.''

Seriously? You can't even set aside spaces for your customers? Appparently not. So I was on my own, with no advice from the belligerent front desk woman on how to navigate the parking nightmare. I found a space a few blocks away and fed a credit card into a machine to get a ticket to put on the dash, never knowing if I would get a ticket at, perhaps, 3 a.m.

Next day, my son and I journeyed out of town--also the day of a Nationals game. That evening, in order to avoid the $29-per-day garage fee for a few hours of evening parking, I decided to park along the street. Noting that parking was enforced from 7 a.m to 6:30 a.m. weekdays, I made a note to set my alarm for 6:45 a.m. Monday so I could purchase a dashboard ticket. The maximum you could purchase was 3 hours, After I did so, I made another mental note to come back out at 9:45 to purchase even more time. When I did, I was greeted by a "parking enforcement officer,'' who notified me that I could not park my car longer than 2 hours in any single space and would need to move it (there was no sign anywhere that said there was a 2-hour limit). But I moved my car. After I did so and had left the area, she wrote me a ticket for $25 and left it on my windshield -- because I had stayed more than 2 hours in the previous spot before moving, even though I had paid fully for the time.

WTF?

Yes, you're probably sick of my parking narrative by now. But it all leads up to bottom-line: I'll never stay here--or in this area--again. Better to get a motel across the Potomac in Virginia and take the Metro into town, than put up with this garbage.

Oh, as far as the room? Way overpriced. In addition to informing me that there was no parking, the front desk person also told me rudely that what I had reserved -- two queen beds, three weeks ahead of time -- was not available and I'd have to settle for a king and a couch. These were run-of-the mill accommodations. The sink was slow to drain -- likely clogged with hair -- and the towels were scratchy low-rent linens.

Never again. Bye-bye, Washington. And, quite possibly, bye-bye Marriott.

1  Thank bluecrown
CYWASNY1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Mr. Bluecrown-

Thank your for you review of our hotel. First and foremost, I would like to apologize that your check in experience did not meet your expectations. However your feedback is valuable and will only make us better.

As far parking, you are spot on. When there is a weekend series with the Nationals, especially during the last few weeks of summer with folks traveling with there families, parking at a metro stop, whether it is in Virginia or Maryland, and taking the metro to our hotel is a great option. We do recommend this to our guests.

Simply put, the demand for hotel guests and their families needing parking on game day is more than the allotted spaces we have. And while the allotment of spaces is more than enough on a typical day, game days, especially against NL East teams, are not typical. Unfortunately it would be impossible to hold spots for all guests that are checking-in.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope this information helps and that we get a chance to see you again for another game this season or next.

Best,

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed at this Courtyard Hotel while in D.C. for a Washington Nationals game. Lets start with the good first:
Easy to access and the parking is under the hotel which is very convenient. With parking fee and tax it's like $30.00 to park for the night but you'll have this at any hotel in D.C. where parking spaces are at a premium. The hotel is new and modern. Our hotel room was clean. LIke sterile clean. I need to hire the cleaning staff that did our room to come clean my house. And best of all the hotel is a short 3 minute walk from Nationals Park.

The bad: I had called ahead two weeks before our check-in date and made two requests: An early check-in and a lower level room. I was given the opportunity to request the check-in time and the room floor. I requested to check-in at 1 oclock and to have a room on the first or second floor. I was informed that an early check in time was on a "as possible" basis but my request should be possible. I arrived at exactly 1 oclock and found our room wasn't ready. The room wasn't ready until 2:20. And then we were given a room on the 8th floor and a lower level room wasn't an option.

I understand that both of my request were just that, requests, but if they can't be accommodated then don't give the guest the expectation that they can be.

There was no complimentary coffee in the morning although there is a coffee bar in the lobby.

TL:DR version: The hotel is convenient, clean, and the staff is helpful and polite but don't anticipate them to follow through on special requests or accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
CYWASNY1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

MD26225

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I am truly sorry that we were unable to check you into your room sooner.

We always try our best to satisfy as many guest requests as possible. However, requests such as early check ins, are highly dependent on the occupancy of the hotel the night before and what time the guests that are currently in the hotel check out so that housekeeping has access to the rooms.
Hopefully the next time you visit us, we will be able to make this happen for you.

Thanks again for your feedback and have a great day.

Best

Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband had to travel to DC for work and my 18 month old and I decided to tag along. I was worried this hotel would be typical of many other DC hotels in that they claim to have excellent accommodations and service but then treat families with small children as a nuisance. This hotel was not like this at all. At the evening dinner socials and breakfast alike there was a healthy mix of business professionals and what were clearly tourists with young families - and the staff catered to both. Our room was extremely clean and nice, and we couldn't have been in a more convenient location given that my husband was working from the Navy Yard and my daughter and I wanted to be able to walk to the National Mall area. The only negative thing I will say about the hotel (and I am not sure there's much they could do to change it besides maybe include information at the time of booking) is that parking was really confusing. There are, immediately adjacent to the hotel, at least two other parking garages that are non-hotel affiliated (and in one at least you cannot park overnight). In order to park in hotel parking, you must check in, receive a card indicating parking privileges, and then go park in a garage with extremely narrow entrances/exits. We found this confusing, but maybe that was just us. This clearly wasn't a big enough deal to us to keep me from giving the hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
CYWASNY1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Ms. Hrp963-

Thank you for your kind words about our property. I am really happy that everything worked out for you and your family during your stay with us.

As far as the parking sitatuion, We do want all incoming guests to check-in at the front desk before they attempt to park their car. This is done, since we are so near to the Stadium, to prevent non hotel guests from parking and taking spots that are for hotel guests on game days. While we realize that this is "different" it has proving effective. Having said this, once you have checked- in and have been assigned parking, you can go in and out of the garage as many times as you want.

I hope this brings a little more clarity to our parking structure. We hope to see you and your family again in the near future.

All the best.