“Best B&B Ever!”

Akwaaba DC
Ranked #3 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
“Best B&B Ever!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Akwaaba was one of the best parts of a fabulous vacation in DC. Breakfasts were delicious and the house is gorgeous. Innkeeper Joanna helped make our trip so wonderful. She gave us personalized restaurant and tourist information. We spent 10 days at the Akwaaba and found the location perfect and transportation easy. We loved our fourth floor room. We also enjoyed our fellow guests who were a mixture of international and American visitors - working and those on vacation. We would HIGHLY recommend this B&B to anyone visiting the DC area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Fairway, Kansas
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Akwaaba turned out to be even more than we expected. It is a charming old home with a ton of character and in a great location. Plenty of opportunities abound to explore the local neighborhood, DuPont Circle, or the White House and Mall(only a mile away). The Metro is a short walk and once you figure it out is a terrific way to get around town.

Service was fantastic. Joanna, the innkeeper, is incredibly friendly and welcoming and always quick with a recommendation to a local restaurant or "must do". Breakfast was terrific every morning. Would highly recommend Akwaaba to anyone visiting DC, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Israel
Reviewed 3 April 2014

room was great, breakfast was very good and location is 30 min max from almost everywhere.
one tip - use the bus from this location as the metro is a bit far.
also claim 3 floor with no elevator can be challenging.

Room Tip: I would go for the lower floors
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked Akwaaba because a friend of a friend recommended it, knowing little about it. It turned out to be a very special experience - the decoration of the room took me by surprise - a most pleasant one. I felt I was a house-guest of a good friend. The breakfast was excellent, service most friendly and personalised. The atmosphere was such that one starts talking with other guests. The location was also excellent - close to supermarket and great restaurants.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This B&B is a short walk from the Metro station, about 7 minutes even dragging luggage -- through nice neighborhoods, with great architecture. Restaurants are in easy walking distance. Stately old home, with well-appointed rooms. Mine had a Jacuzzi. The B&B is African-American-owned, and each room is themed to a different black writer. My room also had editions of great African-American writers, which I enjoyed reading over dinner. Innkeeper was friendly. Breakfast good.

One drawback is breakfast is served at 8, where everyone sits at the same big table. This means there isn't much flexibility in when you eat (unless you want cold cereal). But the innkeeper went out of her way to meet my food needs including soy milk and gluten-free toast (made into French toast! a real treat.)

I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Try to be on second floor to avoid lots of stairs.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank marjoriehk
dusseldorf
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed 3 nights we felt at home , It is clean .very Nice with old. Furniture .the staff is so helpfull. And chèerfull. Thé brekfast is so excellent ( 3 différent in 3 mornings) and névér eated. Such blueberry muffin. If. We Côme back from france we Will. Go to this place again thank You. Very much

Room Tip: We liked toni. Morrison room very quiet bécause. At thé back. Nô view but on noise
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chanDusseldorf
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I was gifted the opportunity to stay at Akwaaba for a weekend after a friend could no longer make her reservation. I am forever thankful for this gift. Being in grad school and working I do not often have time for extended self-care activities. Akwaaba provided me with the most relaxing atmosphere with a location that allowed me to explore my city in a new way. The innkeeper Joanna was the picture of hospitality and welcome, she made me feel at home from the very start. I'm not sure if it was because of the literary theme and being surrounded by the spirit of so many amazing writers but I was able to get a lot of work done as I sat in the living room sipping a glass of shiraz from the complimentary happy hour. I stayed in the Modern Classics room which for a solo stay was more than adequate and the bed was very comfortable. Joanna was gracious enough to open the doors to the unoccupied rooms so that I could peek inside; I will definitely be booking the Zora Neale Hurston or Langston Hughes room for my partner and I in the future. Thank you Akwaaba and Joanna for some well needed R&R and for being a gem in the midst of the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo