“Exquisite Service!”

Ranked #4 of 37 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Exquisite Service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My friends and I traveled to DC for our annual girls getaway and absolutely fell in love with Akwaaba--and the lovely innkeeper, Joanna. She is a jewel.

We occupied the Walter Mosley, Langston Hughes and Zora Neal Hurston (ZNH) rooms. I shared the ZNH room, on the 2nd floor, with one of my friends. It was ridiculously spacious and well appointed. It was like stepping back in time--in a good way. There were antique armoires, dressers, hardwood floors, etc. And the bed was super duper cozy! There's also a chaise lounge in the room if an extra person wanted to hang out. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub with shower nozzle. There were some issues with the faucet but you can figure it out. And despite it being an old brownstone, the hot water was plentiful. Also, I'm obsessed with the cedar, thyme and rosemary glycerin soap!

You will be a block from DuPont Circle (there's a CVS right around there) and maybe a mile or so from the White House. I went on a roundtrip run on Sunday morning and stopped to take photos of the White House, Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial. I took a somewhat circuitous route and the trip totaled 6 miles. Honestly, everything is really close, especially if you can run/walk but if not, there is close Metro stop.

Besides the lovely neighborhood, great location and interesting building, the Akwaaba has Joanna. I've never experienced this kind of hospitality. This was only my third time staying in a B & B but Joanna was absolutely wonderful. She served us a delicious breakfast and snacks each day. Personally, that ALONE is worth the price but she did it with so much kindness and attention to detail. She is very sweet.

So, let me sum this up: breakfast and snacks are included, excellent location, spacious rooms with cozy beds and the best customer service you'll ever experience. If I had to mention a con, it would be the lack of elevator. I don't need an elevator and consider myself super fit but those stairs were "something else"! You need to be ready to haul your luggage and yourself up and down those stairs. I enjoyed the challenge but some may find them daunting. Keep them in mind but hopefully you won't have to miss out.

I love the Akwaaba and will definitely return with my husband.

Room Tip: By the way, the Langston Hughes room has a balcony with a view of the Washington Monument. It's...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kinaya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed for two nights in the Zora Neale Hurston room and loved every moment we were there. Joanna, the innkeeper, is very friendly and is very helpful with everything. Our room was as spacious as the pictures on the website promise. Breakfast was great with a wide range of items to choose from including a personal touch from Joanna. If we ever get back to Washington DC we definitely try to stay at Akwaaba again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I were staying in this lovely inn for three nights. We chose the Romance Room which was like something out of a fairy tale. If I need to find something to complain about it would probably be the air-conditioner that was a bit noisy. We preferred to switch it off and have the window open instead. The bed was a little narrow but I guess that is the way it should be in a Romance Room. The innkeeper Joanna was very lovely and she made delicious breakfasts for us every morning. Fortunately DC is a city where you walk a lot otherwise I would have gained a few pounds from those breakfasts. It was also interesting to talk to the other guests during breakfast. We often got stuck in interesting conversations with people from all over the world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanF_Sodermalm
Manchester, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Akwaaba in Washington DC for three nights and I would not hesitate to recommend this inn. The atmosphere was so peaceful and relaxing. Joanna the innkeeper was an excellent hostess. The home is beautiful and the neighborhood was as well. We booked the Langston Hughes room - I think the bed was more comfortable than my own at home! The breakfasts were great, and we enjoyed talking with the other guests from all over the world at breakfast and at refreshment time in the late afternoons. We would definitely stay here again if we were to travel back to Washington.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen F
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

My family and friends recently stayed in several rooms. We were in town for a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery and spent a few additional days sightseeing in the area.

First of all, I agree with previous reviews about Joanna, the innkeeper. She is a lovely person. However, she cannot make up for the shortcomings of this B&B, which is in need of extended maintenance.

I have traveled extensively and prefer the ambience of B&Bs and country homes and have stayed in lots of properties that are old and furnished with well-loved pieces. The Akwaaba DC does not meet the standards of other places I have stayed. While the public areas look good, the rooms are another matter. Most of the floors need to be refinished, the furnishings need to be restored as they are really in poor condition, the curtains and shades need to be reconsidered so that they darken the room enough for sleeping and function properly, plumbing was a problem in some rooms. I won't name every complaint, but will give readers some idea of what we encountered.

The Langston Hughes room is the best room I personally stayed in. However, the tub diverter knob came off in my hand and I didn't think I would be able to get the shower on. This room, as well as others in the front of the house, is very noisy. Bring earplugs.

The Zora Neale Hurston room had many problems. The a/c was extremely loud, the window blind fell off, the shower knob is gone.

The Romance Room has a lot of fabric that cannot be easy to clean, such as throws over the chairs, a canopy over the bed which blocks the ceiling fan, a mantle scarf that is unnecessary.

The Toni Morrison Room, which I occupied for one night, has some problems. The window blind does not block light at all, to the point where the early morning light reflects from the dresser mirror directly into your eyes in bed. The tile in front of the fireplace is a trip hazard. The queen bed is suitable for only one person as there is not enough room to get in and out on one side.

The Writer's Suite Apartment is not recommended, unless you are a family, on a budget and have very low expectations. It is dark, has sub-par bathrooms, is noisy both day and night. In addition, breakfast is not included. We were advised that breakfast for the apartment people (3 max. In our case) would be $15. It was not made clear that was the price per person, so we were charged an additional $150 for our stay.

My recommendation is that someone from the management team spend at least one night in each room so that the multitude of problems be noted and repaired. Also, the housekeeper needs to report issues, such as missing parts and problem plumbing. How can a person clean the shower/tub and not see that a knob is gone?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank LetsGoDen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Two years ago I stayed at Akwaaba by the Sea with a friend we had a wonderful time. This year I needed to be someplace where I could go by myself feel safe and just relax and be by myself. I couldn't have made a better choice The house was beautiful, my room (Toni Morrison) was comfortable and quiet. I enjoyed meeting and talking to the other guest. I walked the neighborhood with ease and enjoyed looking at the homes. But what made my visit the more enjoyable was Joanna she made my visit the best. Thank You Joanna And Akwaaba for everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Leslye L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The food was great and what really sold the deal was the design of the BnB. I highly recommend staying there if I did have to complain about something it would be the parking arrangements other than that it was a great place to stay while you are in D.C.

• Stayed May 2014