“Trendy too expensive”
Review of Blue Duck Tavern

Blue Duck Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Duck Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 24 & M Streets NW
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro Station - Orange and Blue Lines Dupont Circle Metro Station - Red Line
Description: Blue Duck Tavern, a contemporary neighborhood restaurant, invites its guests to gather and celebrate in good taste with a menu focusing on the freshest ingredients available from local purveyors and artisans. The menu notes every farm where the main ingredient for the dish was raised before its journey to the table. Dishes are genuine, time-honored and traditional -- slow roasting in wood embers, braising, preserving and smoking techniques bring the true flavors of America's great, simple and wholesome foods to the Blue Duck Tavern. The restaurant has an elegant residential feel through the open staff pantry and kitchen, wood-burning oven and the showpiece Molteni range.
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Tiny plates, huge bill. Food ok but not very special and not very memorable. definitely not worth the price. Good service. Not particularly impressive.

1  Thank Ma G
BlueDuckTavern, General Manager at Blue Duck Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Ma G,

Thank you for your valued feedback. We pride ourselves on creating an exceptional dining experience, but clearly we fell short during your recent visit. Please accept my sincerest apologies. We do hope you choose to dine with us again. Kindly contact me directly as it would be my pleasure to personally make your reservations.

Blue Duck Tavern General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Just finished a Thanksgiving meal here, and the total for our family of four was $600 (and this includes a 20% tip). Ouch. Now, that's not the most expensive meal I've ever paid for, but it's pretty close.

Even for $500, for $125 per person I can't say I got my money's worth. Sorry, but this just wasn't in the food, the atmosphere or the service.

We had a reservation, and showed up a bit early, and were accommodated immediately. That's a plus.

The atmosphere is sparse, sort of Scan in design, with hard floors, wood paneling, wood tables and wood chairs. I did notice that there is thick foam padding on the underside of each table, and I also noticed that a lot of it is falling down, sagging, drooping, including at our table. Given the hard surfaces, both light and sound bounces around quite a bit. It's not raucously noisy, but I would not call this place cozy, or warm.

There is an open kitchen, and if you have a view it's pretty cool to watch the wait staff and the kitchen staff do their things.

The format for the food was a la carte for entrees and sides and a modest buffet for appetizers and dessert. For $125/person, I found neither buffet to be sufficient extensive, not nearly enough choices. This I believe is mostly an issue of space, as the dessert buffet was stuck into the passageway between the Hyatt hotel and the restaurant, with all manner of hotel guests wandering in open-mouthed to gawk at the food, complicating an already small area. The food at both the dessert and appetizer buffets was quite good, innovative, new and tasty.

The entrees and sides were good. I had the rib eye, and it was exceedingly rare, too rare for my tastes. There was plenty of it, though, two huge slices. The Brussels sprouts and cauliflower were quite good. My daughter enjoyed her pumpkin bisque, my wife the turkey, and my son the rib. I had some of the rib, and it was excellent.

My wife went with a few mimosas, at $10 each. Ouch. I really liked their apple fizz mocktail, so had a few, at $8 each. Ouch again. That right there added a ton to this bill.

Service was okay, but again for $125/person I would figure I wouldn't have to ask for a drink refill, that they'd be paying closer attention and offer it, or just bring it. They do refold your napkin for you when you're away.

Bottom line: this is a nice place, with good food, service and a fashionable ambience. There are no true negatives here. But, it's pretty expensive, so pay attention to what exactly you want, and if this is it, then go with the flow and pay that bill (like I did).

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The food was seasonal and fresh, Chicken was moist and cooked to perfection.
the vegetables were amazing and I could eat alone.. I had a salad with Brussel Sprouts (I forget what it was called) SO GOOD!!!
Apple pie... mmmmm...
I stay in a LOT of hotels and don't usually leave the building to eat, this spot is worth returning for!!! and worth going to even if you are not stating in the Park Hyatt...

Dear thequeenjs,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent meal with us - a delicious one it certainly sounds like. The salad you are referring to is our Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad. I'll be sure to let our chefs know how much you enjoyed it, along with the farm vegetables and apple pie, of course! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Washington.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We couldnt get in for dinner ,so we went for breakfast .The menu is very different that most breakfast places.My daughter is dairy and gluten free and Andres our server made a few changes in her choice to make that work. The room is very nice and the staff very professional. Go when in DC

1  Thank AFJC32013

Dear AFJC32013,

Thank you for your feedback and for dining with us during breakfast. My apologies for not being able to accommodate your family for dinner. It is a pleasure to read how much you all enjoyed your meal, especially the service shown by our team.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I came here last month on a trip with work. Had amazing food served to all 7 of us and had a good chat with one of the managers who is extreme friendly.

10 out of 10

Dear Paul,

Thank you for dining with us during your recent visit to DC! We appreciate you taking the time to share such positive feedback from your meal. We look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.