“Delightful in every way”
Review of Blue Duck Tavern

Blue Duck Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Duck Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 24 & M Streets NW
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro Station - Orange and Blue Lines Dupont Circle Metro Station - Red Line
Description: Blue Duck Tavern, a contemporary neighborhood restaurant, invites its guests to gather and celebrate in good taste with a menu focusing on the freshest ingredients available from local purveyors and artisans. The menu notes every farm where the main ingredient for the dish was raised before its journey to the table. Dishes are genuine, time-honored and traditional -- slow roasting in wood embers, braising, preserving and smoking techniques bring the true flavors of America's great, simple and wholesome foods to the Blue Duck Tavern. The restaurant has an elegant residential feel through the open staff pantry and kitchen, wood-burning oven and the showpiece Molteni range.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delightful in every way”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

It had been some time since I'd been to the restaurant and how sorry I am. With 5 of us, it ws even more fun for brunch since we could do a tasting of a number of appetizers and desserts while each relishing our own entrees.

The presentation of the food was spectacular. Each dish was presented with flair by the chef and kitchen. I ordered the house smoked salmon with johnny cake and avacado for an appetizer and for my entree, Prawn Baked Eggs Spinach, Sofrito, Shellfish Reduction that was so beautiful and yummy, I was reluctant to share!

Others had the fried chicken and waffle with succulent chicken; a hamburger that had the most beautiful French fries, constructed on the plate in an architectural style. Another person had Eggs Benedict Smoked Trout, Potato Preserved Lemon Hollandaise.

Our sides were the spring vegetables, hash browns, asparagus and grits, all of which were outstanding.

For dessert we shared the apple pie, a strawberry shortcake, and a lemon dessert that was my favorite.

The service (from Derrick) was the best and most delightful. We learned, from questioning, that he was a catering person who knew food well. He helped us decide easily.

Those who had iced coffee got a cold brew in a bottle and a glass of ice. The Bloody Marys looked delish.

With the patio framed with plants one can almost forget being in DC on a busy corner.

• Visited July 2014
BlueDuckTavern, Public Relations Manager at Blue Duck Tavern, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear JLEDC,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of your recent brunch experience. It sounds like a very delicious gathering with some of my favorite dishes being enjoyed. It is a pleasure to read how much your party enjoyed their meal, including the service of our team. We look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

Asheville, North Carolina
“Loved This Place!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Totally upscale, modern, farm-to-table concept restaurant which won't disappoint. The menu as well as the wine list is varied. Sit outside if possible by the waterfall and watch the people go by. Very enjoyable atmosphere and food.

• Visited June 2014
Dear 206bw,

Thank you for sharing such delightful feedback from your recent dining experience. What a treat to sit outside by the fountain. It really is so lovely to dine by the garden, etc. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Los Angeles, CA
“Killed two birds with one stone”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Park Hyatt primarily because I wanted to eat at the Blue Duck Tavern. Bottom line, it was really good and seems to be a hot spot in the area. people seem to dress up nice (Business Casual) and enjoy the atmosphere. I was fortunate to have breakfast AND dinner on the same day. As for breakfast, Yes I would go back, the french toast, fried eggs and live pate were really good. As for dinner, well, it was good, but a bit rich for me. I've had a lot of rich food lately and maybe that's why I was not in to it or I had much higher expectations. That's not to say it was really good. People who joined me really enjoyed their food. The portions are generous starting with the appetizers. the bone marrow can easily feed three to four persons. We had the Braised short ribs, Branzino (Sea bass), and the suckling pig, all of it was really good nd rich. We ordered the famous duck fat fried fries, and yes it was let down. I could not taste the duck fat, the fries looked way over cooked and dry, bummer. dessert was just as decadent and really good. The open kitchen gives you a sense of what is going on and seems chaotic but under control. Reservations are a must. Outdoor dining is available and on a clear night it is the way to go.

Wisconsin
“Yum!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were with a group of 8 on a week night. It wasn't especially crowded, but we had an early reservation. My oldest daughter (15) had the halibut special and raved about it. I had a crab cake that was delicious. Each of us enjoyed our food.

Each person orders their main course and the sides are shared. We thought the fries were good, but not to die for. My youngest daughter (9) ordered off of the kids' menu. It had typical kid fare for a reasonable price.

The service and décor are both great. It's kind of relaxed fancy if that's a description.

Denver, Colorado
“Excellent”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The food is fantastic. Loved the outdoor seating. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable, helping us with our entree decisions. I had the short ribs and was very pleased.

Dear Kit J,

Great to hear how much you enjoyed your recent meal with us! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.