“Friendly service, excellent food”
Review of Blue Duck Tavern

Blue Duck Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Duck Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 3,488 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 24 & M Streets NW
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro Station - Orange and Blue Lines Dupont Circle Metro Station - Red Line
Description: Blue Duck Tavern, a contemporary neighborhood restaurant, invites its guests to gather and celebrate in good taste with a menu focusing on the freshest ingredients available from local purveyors and artisans. The menu notes every farm where the main ingredient for the dish was raised before its journey to the table. Dishes are genuine, time-honored and traditional -- slow roasting in wood embers, braising, preserving and smoking techniques bring the true flavors of America's great, simple and wholesome foods to the Blue Duck Tavern. The restaurant has an elegant residential feel through the open staff pantry and kitchen, wood-burning oven and the showpiece Molteni range.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We went here on a Monday. We didn't have reservations. First, we were offered a communal table, which we accepted, but soon thereafter the hostess was able to accommodate us on the patio on our own table.

The space outside is cozy, and the weather was nice. The staff was quick and courteous. Bread/butter etc. was served and was fresh and good. We had the eggplant puree flat bread as appetizer, it was delicious.

For our entrees we ordered the wood-fired wagyu beef and lemon brined chicken. Both were really good, but we liked the wagyu beef much better and won't mind having it again. The food was served hot, fresh, and in a timely manner.

For desert, we highly recommend the house-made apple pie and ice cream. It was certainly worth the extra calories.

Overall, the food quality is very high, with fresh ingredients that also taste good. However, everything, including a scoop of ice cream with the apple pie is a la carte, so it can add up quickly.

A good experience, and highly recommended. I would make reservations next time just in case.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,965)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a wonderful brunch on the outside patio here!! I was a little hesitant to try this place because it was connected to a hotel - wow - sure glad we did!! The brunch was fabulous!! The red velvet pancakes were so good - we split them as as appetizer just because the description was so yummy. A stack of very moist red velvet pancakes with cream cheesy whipped cream melting over the top.... with spiced pecans... oh my!!! The boubon maple syrup was just an added bonus that put these on the top of my "best ever" list!!! I would go back just for those - best pancakes I've ever had!! The frittata with charred corn, goat cheese, basil pesto and tomato compote was delicious. Their crab cakes are pure crab meat - no filler and wonderful. The service was excellent - very accomodating to every request and very attentive without being bothersome one bit. They allowed us to visit well after our meal and did not rush us one bit. I highly recommend this restaurant - you won't be disappointed!!

1  Thank lalee1149
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had a fabulous breakfast here, sitting outside on the lovely patio. I had the frittata, which was perfectly cooked and delicious - the charred corn and goat cheese were just right. My friend had the omelette which was also excellent. Service was just right - attentive without being overwhelming. Despite the patio being full of diners, they did not rush us. I'll definitely go back.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had an absolutely amazing dinner at the Blue Duck Tavern! The service was impeccable, the decor was nice as well, but the food is what made it so great. I have tried the following and loved them all:

Heirloom Tomato Panzanella Salad Red Onion, Olive Oil Crouton, Basil Goat Ricotta 12-Hour Roasted Suckling Pig, Baby Vegetables, Pork Jus
Roasted Muscovy Duck Breast Compressed Plum
Seasonal Selection of Sorbet

My dinner companion also had the below items and swears by it:

Fried Sweet Bread Appetizer
Lime Tofu Yogurt Custard Pickled Melons, Green Grapes, Cucumber-Mint Gel Ginger-Ka"r Whipped Ganache, Quinoa Granola

BlueDuckTavern, Public Relations Manager at Blue Duck Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Kirk H,

Wow! Thank your sharing such wonderful feedback from your recent meal with us. You definitely ordered some of my new favorite dishes for summer. It is a pleasure to hear how much you both enjoyed your dining experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best,
Renee Eisman
Director of Public Relations

Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you are staying at Park Hyatt DC you can wear your tall fancy shoes here as you are just going down the elevator to enjoy this place. Make a reservation as they are rated #2 in the city. Really enjoyed it. We had the sugar cookies and ice cream for dessert. Everything we had was fantastic. Great service, too.

1  Thank heart_caribbean

Dear heart_caribbean,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful comments from your recent visit. I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed your meal, especially dessert! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best,