“Great, Affordable Place to Stay in DC”

Meridian Manor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Austin, TX
“Great, Affordable Place to Stay in DC”
Reviewed 3 July 2008

I stayed at Meridian Manor Bed and Breakfast for a week in May before my apartment was ready for move in. I found MMB&B through Tripadvisor and the great reviews, coupled with the reasonable price and central location made me choose to stay there. I stayed in the upstairs room (Grey Room) that has a shared bathroom. The place is clean, the breakfast is good, and it is in a safe and well-lit area. It is also about a 10 minute bus ride to the White House.

I never met Yaroslav, but John was wonderful. He helped me find the right bus stop on my first day of work and even ran ahead to stop it from pulling away! You can tell he truly cares about the people that come through his B&B.

The location is great too, it is on a residential street with lots of old rowhouses, but there is a gym, starbucks, and lots of cabs right outside the door. There are also a bunch of bus stops close by.

Really, you can't go wrong with this place. The Yellow and Grey rooms are really a steal, if you don't mind sharing a bathroom. I have already started to recommend friends and family who visit DC to stay at MMB&B!

• Liked — The hospitality, the location, and the price!!
  • Disliked — There are lots of stairs, so I would not recommend for disabled or elderly people with mobility issues.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Balltobe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Plano, TX
Reviewed 17 June 2008

John was an outstanding host, so friendly and helpful. As we were renting the basement apartment with a separate entrance, we didn’t see him much during the day. We would chat about our day’s events while sharing wine with him in the evenings though.

We like to cook so having a full kitchen was ideal. The location of the Meridian Manor is terrific, within close proximity of popular restaurants and a well-stocked convenience store. We enjoyed just walking around the charming neighborhood and admiring the architecture. We felt the comfort, convenience, and perks such as free internet made the Meridian an exceptional value. Only drawback would be the lack of light in the apartment. Since it is below street level, the space was a bit on the dark side. A very minor complaint, as we spent so little time there during the day. The stairs are also rather steep, so if you have problems with stairs, be forewarned.

Do not rent a car during your stay unless you are roadtripping outside of the city proper. The B&B is just a couple of blocks away from main bus lines that go past the museums and monuments. We rented a car and it was a total waste of $$. Parking and traffic are positively nightmarish in DC, but thankfully, taxis are plentiful. John tried to warn us (I have to give him credit- he really did try), but the hubby would not be convinced, resulting in a parked rental car for our entire stay. We’ll know better next visit and just hire a cab from the airport to the Meridian.

• Liked — Our charming host and the location
  • Disliked — Minor issue- the apt is a bit dark
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D_and_JW
Maryland USA
Reviewed 14 June 2008

I chose this property based upon the excellent reviews of the inn itself and most of all, it's owner. I stayed one night.

Had a one day convention to attend and frankly, all the major chain hotels were just priced outrageous! I thought, why not try an inn?

Since I reside in MD, I was concerned about parking my car. No problem at the Meridian. While the chains charge you $25, the Meridian charges a reasonable $10 to park in a locked garage (an actual garage).

My room was large, clean and the bathroom had plenty of room with two sinks! Hot water and water pressure were great! Since we are talking DC in the Summer, the HVAC system kept me plenty cool.

What really sets this property apart is the owner. He is there to greet you when you arrive, answer any questions, and John will explain to you all you need to know to enjoy your Meridian experience. John listens, you are more than a # to him.

The neighborhood is safe and features plenty of places to eat just a short walk away, including a local food market if you want to pick something up to eat or drink during your stay.

If you are going to DC for one day or a week, I recommend the Meridian and it's owner John. You will have a fantastic experience!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
ottawa
Reviewed 7 June 2008

Wow, what a great time we had at Meridian Manor. We stayed a week, using the basement apartment as our homebase. John was wonderfull. He was always ready to answer questions and made a fantastic breakfast, we loved the fresh fruit every morning. The B&B is located so perfectly, only a couple of blocks from the subway. The neighbourhood is safe and pleasant. Adam's Morgan was close by and offered great food and exciting nightlife. The white House was only a 20 min walk, and Dupont Cirle was about a 10 min walk, and we had a great time visiting the national mall. John was the perfect host. The place is very clean and the beds were quite comfortable. The cleaning staff did a great job too. And the central air was much appreciated!! Thanks so much John,
Ed and Perry

• Liked — safe and clean
  • Disliked — not much
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
WV
Reviewed 21 May 2008

I can't say enough good things about Meridian Manor. The location is ideal (nestled between Dupont and Adams Morgan ), the house is very attractive, and the rooms are quite comfortable. John, the owner, is very efficient and responsive and he has created a very comfortable atmosphere in the house. It is not too formal, but at the same time it has a sophisticated feel. I especially liked the laid back approach to breakfast. The food was ample and diverse but not heavy and one did not have to engage your fellow housemates. The Metro is just a few blocks away and only four stops from the mall. It was so convenient. I will return to the Meridian the next time I stay in DC.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Orlando
Reviewed 29 April 2008

My sister, my nephew, niece and her fiance stayed at the Meridian a couple of weeks ago to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday. We rented the whole top floor of the B&B, which included two bedrooms, a large living room with two pull-out beds, and a bathroom. We were very pleased with our stay!

The B&B itself is located in a great part of town, and is within easy walking distance to two metro stops. It is also just off U Street, where there are all kinds of wonderful stores and restaurants.

The B&B was lovely and well kept, and John was remarkably accommodating! Breakfast is casual and good, and since we were on our own floor, we really enjoyed great privacy. The house was quiet, and other guest respectful and pleasant. We would definitely stay again. One note, however: if you stay on an upper floor, be prepared to hoof it up the steps!

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Zannawi
Westport, CT
Reviewed 21 April 2008

My two teen sons and I just spent the night at the Meridian Manor in Washington DC. We chose it because it could accomodate 3 separate beds (1 large bed + 2 sleeper sofas) in 1 room. The chocolate room was very spacious, with fireplace, flat screen tv, queen size bed and 2 sleepers. We appreciated the details, such as full size bars of ivory soap and decent sized shampoo bottles (as versus the tiny sized stuff you get at most hotels), nice updated bath, tasteful furniture and "lending library" . It was wonderful and I would definitely stay there again. The innkeeper was very nice and clued me into a prime parking space directly across the street from our room, so we avoided having to pay exorbitant fees for a parking garage that was several blocks away. The location was great, with beautiful homes, gardens,an embassy or two, and lots of shops and restaurants within an easy walk - near 18th street. The kitchen was basically help yourself, with 3 varieties of wine available for evening refreshment, and an extensive continental breakfast in the morning, including hard boiled eggs, fruits, bagels, muffins, toast, juices, coffee, etc. The only thing that would have made it perfect would be a terminal with internet access for guests, but other than that, it was ideal. I would highly recommend it

Stayed April 2008