“Terrific place to stay”

Ranked #13 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrific place to stay”
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We stayed 6 nights in Sept (chocolate room) and it was perfect for us. Well located, in easy reach of all the toruist spots and a short walk to good eating. Local buses stop a few steps away and the metro is a ten minute walk. John was accommodating, helpful & friendly, the rooms and house were clean, well decorated and comfortable & quiet. Nice to come home to after long days. Highly reommended, good value.

Stayed September 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 October 2008

It is such a pleasure to stay in a bed and breakfast establishment when it is done right. The Meridian Manor is such a place. Let me say first that the whole of the establishment was pleasingly decorated because I want to highlight the nuts and bolts of what is important to me besides a pretty facade. Our room was spacious and functional with a good bed, plenty of drawer space for clothes and an ample closet. There was a comfortable armchair, couch, coffee table and bedside table. The bath/shower was excellent; good water flow and drain. There were two bathroom fans and excellent lighting at the mirror. At no time did I have to "make do" with the amenities. Okay, so that is the nuts and bolts. The major plusses begin with John O'Mahoney, the owner. This is his business, not his "baby". He has the right balance of host, concierge and plain person easy to engage in conversation and quick to be helpful. His kitchen is open to guests and well stocked with drinks and wine. Breakfast was simple but adequate with fruit, juice, cheese, cereals, hardboiled eggs and yogurt. Of the hundred or so B&Bs my wife and I have stayed in, the Manor Meridian is one of our top recommendations.

• Liked — Location and functionality
  • Disliked — Ivory soap
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Upstate New York
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I spent three nights at Meridian Manor earlier this month and enjoyed it very much. The place is clean and comfortable, and you couldn't ask for a friendlier, more helpful host than John. It's in an upscale neighborhood of townhouses, apartment buildings and the occasional embassy, with the Metro and a large variety of restaurants within easy walking distance. Four quick stops on the Metro, and you're in the thick of things downtown.

I liked the casual setup at breakfast: John put out a variety of foods and let us make our own toast, pour our own beverages, take our own hard boiled eggs, cheese, fruit, etc. - and eat in the kitchen or dining room. People drifted in and out, and I found it very home-like. At least one evening while I was there, John opened a bottle of wine for the guests.

16th is a busy street, so if you're staying at a time of year when it makes sense to keep the windows open in your room, you will hear traffic noise. But that comes with the territory when you're staying in a city. To compensate, the building itself is remarkably quiet. We had a full house on two nights of my stay, but except when I met people in the common areas, I was hardly aware that there were other guests around.

The Meridian is a lovely place to come home to after a day of sightseeing or working in DC.

• Liked — The host, the location and the atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 October 2008

We chose the Meridian Manor B&B based on location, price and positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. We stayed for 6 nights in the Suede Room. With tax it worked out on $211.83 a night.

The best aspects were:

1) Location. It's just off U Street and just over 5 min walk to the Metro Stop. It's 25 mins straight down to the road to the white house. And 15 mins walk to Dupont Circle. There's an abundance of bars and restaurants right on the doorstep or a short walk away. Really excellent location and it felt very safe too - we happily walked the streets around the B&B at night.

2) Price. Washington DC didn't seem a particularly cheap city, especially for hotels. At $211 a night The Merdian Manor still offered good value.

3) John (the owner). Even though he doesn't live at the B&B he was always around when needed and was happy to chat with us and advise us the best he could. He was very accomodating - letting guests make tea during the day, letting us store personal food/drink in the fridge, lending us his umbrella when the weather outside was pouring with rain and providing a bottle of wine for guests to enjoy.

The room we had (Suede) was large and spacious, with a good shower/bath and TV. This was on the back of the house and was quiet enough (bar one or two sirens!). We always got a good nights sleep though; Washington DC was one of the most tiring, yet enjoyable, cities I have visited.

The breakfast is quite basic with some fruit and cheese out on a stand. You can help yourself to milk, orange juice, cereal and bread. We were happy with this relaxed approach to breakfast

On a negative note The Meridian Manor do need to watch their cleaning standards - our window blinds were absolutely filthy!

Overall we were very happy with our choice and if returning to Washington DC we would definitely stay again at The Meridian Manor B&B.

• Liked — The Location and easy going nature
  • Disliked — The dirty window blinds
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed 2 October 2008

Since we are a large family of five, we never stay in hotels. We've rented apartments in FL, Paris, London, etc. We like the flexibility of having our own kitchen and having a nice large breakfast before heading out the door to explore the world. We also like space for the kids (ages 7-11) to strech out in the evening. That being said I'd like to list the postives and negatives.
Negatives:
1. I strongly agree however with Nikk83 when he said it needed a GOOD CLEAN. The blinds were filthy. I also found hair on the bathroom floor. The clean towels put out for us had a mildewy smell so I rewashed them. Kitchen cabinets were dirty and needed to be wiped down, etc. etc.
2. I am also used to a well stocked kitchen. There were only 2 bowls so we could only eat cereal two at a time and then wash them so the next folks could eat. I would've liked to make spaghetti but there wasn't a colander. Everything was mismatched, no organization. We spent more money eating out then on any other vacation we've ever taken.
3. Repairs are needed. The towel ring for the hand towel kept falling off the wall so we finally just left it down and then hung it from the handle on the shower door. The shower door is not on it's tracks properly and I was fearful that it might fall on my kids and injure them while showering.
4. I also agree with justintimeforlaugh who said it seems as if they're on a tight budget when it comes to decor. The walls looked as if my kids had painted them, there were lots of streaks. The artwork looked as if they bought a canvas and slapped some paint on it. Voila! A piece of art. Furnishings, linens, towels, etc. were mismatched. There was no thought put into it, just a place to put the things you wanted to get rid if.

Now for the positives.
1. John was waiting there with water bottles to greet us and show us how everything worked. He also mailed us some things that were left behind. He was very nice which is why it was hard for me to say some negative things about the place. However, maybe it will help him to correct the problems. I also, look at reviews before booking an apt. so I'd like honesty from the people that have stayed there.
2. Good location. It's three blocks from the closest Metro (U Street/Cardozo) which is fine in the morning but can seem like miles in the evening after sightseeing all day. There's also a Starbucks on the corner.
3. They had a nice selection of movies to watch on DVD in the evenings. It was a nice thought.
4. Space. There was enough for our family. There was a large dining table and ample closet space for hanging things.
5. Washer/dryer. A big must for me since we all have carry-ons and are limited to how many changes of clothes we can take.
6. Beautiful building. It's actually a lovely place just needs some thought and cleaning. Get rid of the dead plants in the flowerpots. Hire a professional to give the walls a fresh coat of paint. Buy a lovely print of the Capitol (we found one at Union Station for $30) and hang it over the bed. Add some cabinets in the laundry room for hidden storage. Go to Walmart and buy a complete set of dishes, plastic colander maybe a crockpot too! Also, put the housekeeper on notice. If her cleaning doesn't improve, fire her and get another. My mother cleaned houses when I was a child so I know what I'm talking about. She would've gotten canned (and rightly so) the first time she left a place in the condition I found our apt.

• Liked — Had a Washer/dryer.
  • Disliked — It was dirty and lacked basic kitchen necessities.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank TheHappyHousewife
Leeds, England
Reviewed 19 September 2008

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of September. We arrived during a tropical storm, but John was there to meet us and and show us how everything works. He isn't based at the Meridian so is only there a couple of hours a day. We had the yellow room at the top of the house, which meant climbing a lot of stairs! The room was large and airy with a large bed. We shared a bathroom with the room next door as well as a sitting area which was a nice touch. At first glance the room seemed nice, but we soon discovered a few problems, the room did not have adequete power points which is annoying when you have hair to dry, phone to charge etc. The room was tired and needed sprucing up and it also needed a good clean. Things were dusty and dirty in the room and the bathroom was worse, hair and dirt on the floor and around the shower. The bed was very uncomfortable, it was far too soft and seemed to dip in the middle. We hardly saw any other guests the first night, so the house was very quiet. Breakfast is simple but ample and the weekend host Sylvia was there to offer some friendly advice. The location of the Meridian is very good, a short walk to Du Pont Circle and the subway. Overall our experience at the Meridian was ok, but it could have been better, with more attention to practical elements such as cleanliness this could be a great bed and breakfast.

• Liked — Location, hosts
  • Disliked — cleanliness, uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Very well located for us - a short stay so it was great to be able to walk to The Mall, Dupont Circle to eat, and Georgetown to shop.

A couple of other guests were regulars, and the laid back style probably suits them a bit better than it did us - owner isn't resident, so we had to phone when we arrived to get in/check in. And breakfast felt a bit too casual - lugging giant juice and milk cartons out of the fridge, and unwrapping the bread.

Room was spacious but could use a bit of tlc.

• Liked — charm of the building and location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple