“My New Favorite Spot”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Excellent, healthy options that are delicious. And delicious splurges like house made potato chips and a bakery case full of sweet and tasty deserts. Frozen coffee drinks, the best iced tea and even decent beer choices. AND terrific service. It's a little loud - you might find it festive like we have, or you may find it a little too loud if you are trying to have a quiet conversation. We've been in town for three days and have managed to have dinner, lunch and snacks there already...

Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

All day breakfast. Great atmosphere in the Woodley park area. Restaurant has indoor seating that is open to the outside because of giant window/walls that can be opened or closed. Busy for breakfast/brunch, but overall good food. Not the best I've ever had, but it was very good. Breakfast burrito is a winner. Scramblers are not quite as good. What made the trip was the Frozen Chai we got when we were leaving. Being a coffee freak who worked in a gourmet coffee shop for years, this frozen chai was the best I've ever had! They also had a deep black iced tea with a hint of peach in it that was to die for.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Every year when I visit DC I eat at least once at Open City. Recently, I was excited to bring my friend. The service was so bad. I don't think it is true for all servers, but we definitely got the shaft. We waited at least 15 minutes for a water and asked the host. We had approached 2 other servers if we could have our own server. Then when she came to our table she never greeted us and only asked us what we wanted to order. We chose the vegetable scramble because it came with fresh fruit. She asked us if we wanted grits or hash browns. We decided on hash browns. Our meal came with the hash browns but no fruit. I asked her why the fruit was left off when the menu description clearly states it comes with fruit, and she told me we chose to substitute it with the hash brown. Since we had a long time to study the menu, we did understand the wording. I think the server should have said something to use like this, "the vegetable scramble comes with fruit. If you would like grits or hash browns, you may add them for additional $1." After the food delivery, she never came back. I had to walk towards her to ask for jam and then later I walked over to another station for water. I saw better servers attending their tables while our server was either talking near the bar or downstairs. By the way, the hash browns were like giant greasy tatertots manufactured to be perfectly formed rectangular blocks. Nasty! The Americano was good though. I don't think I will ever go back to Open City. What a shame!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We like going to this restaurant as it is steps away from the Omni-Shoreham hotel. For breakfast, it's bustling, on Saturday morning we have waited for 30 minutes for a table, but there is always good "people watching" to bide the time. Once seated, the coffee is hot & delicious. While one person takes your order & another serves the food, we have always had great service. The green tea is a must. We have been there for lunch as well, the specialty drinks are creative & delicious. The vibe of the restaurant is lively & hip...enjoy!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We enjoyed breakfast here on our last visit to D.C. and decided to try dinner this time - big mistake! The service was poor and the food was palatable, but unremarkable. My companion ordered the chicken and waffles and I ordered the bacon-wrapped meatloaf with mashed potatoes. The former was supposed to come with 2 pieces of chicken, but only 1 appeared on the plate and my entree arrived with the wrong side dish. This is one of those restaurants where no one person is taking care of you - someone takes your order, but someone else delivers the food. When we asked about the missing piece of chicken and the side dish, the food-deliverer said she would get the manager (I wasn't sure why she couldn't handle this herself), but then the order-taker came by and apologized and said that the other piece must have gotten "lost" on the way from the kitchen. As for the rest of the meal, the primary flavor of the meatloaf was salt, and the mashed potatoes had the consistency of cream of wheat (i.e. way too much liquid). I don't think they were instant, but they also didn't seem to have originated from an actual potato. We ended up getting the 2nd piece of chicken and the correct side dish, but not until we were almost finished with the meal. On another note, we regularly heard the crashing of dishes behind us since I guess it never occurred to the bus boys to place dishes into the bus station rather than throw them. To their credit, they discounted our meal $6, but I'd prefer to pay the $6 and have a better experience.