“Disappointing. Not worth your time”

Georgetown Flea Market
Ranked #193 of 444 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Held every Sunday.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Disappointing. Not worth your time”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I went to the market years ago and loved it. The quality, diversity and amount of items available was impressive so we were looking forward to returning again this afternoon - a beautiful, temperate August Sunday - perfect for this type of activity.

We love and collect vintage and antique items, "treasure hunting" and talking/learning from the experts so we were dismayed at the downturn the market had taken.

Several vendors were sullen and few were willing to engage with potential customers. More importantly is that the inventories were of the quality one would expect of a low-end flea market or yard sale.

It took us longer to drive to DC (from our home 10 miles away) and park the car than it did to make our way through the market. Very sad. We won't return.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank jazzbird925

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Still good, but”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I've been going here for 20 years and my house is testament to that. There are great deals to be had. I bought a 1200 diamond and gold bracelet for less than $100. It used to be more than twice the size and rivaled some of the best markets in Europe. But the school forced it back and Internet selling took its toll. For rugs try Achmed Nisaar, great deals on silver from The Silver Lady (can't miss her) and near her vintage linens from Noemi. In the back Marlene and Dave Stuart have a great eye and excellent prices. It's a later market. 9 to 3.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Alice P
Hamilton, VA
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“DC Deals”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Part of the fun of the Georgetown Flea is not knowing which vendors will show up on any given Sunday. With the prime spots taken early, the "second tier" fill in the slots and that's where real bargains can be found. There is an abundance of jewelry here, both the real deal and costume type; lots of furniture, on the small side for easy transportation; loads of prints and framed art; ethnic clothing and carved items; a nice selection of silver; lighting fixtures and lamps and bric and brac galore. If you come with cash nearly every vendor will bargain. Parking on neighboring streets is never a problem and if you buy a large piece, they will move it to the front entrance for easy pickup. Don't think I've ever left without some sort of treasure and look forward to uncovering many more.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Rebecca D
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Sunday Must! So many treasures emerge from this neighborhood market”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Although year round, Georgetown Flea Market is the very best in the Spring and Fall. I've furnished most of my house from this market before moving further away. Now I shop it every time we are in the area. It's best to shop 9 to 3 (although the hours are 8 to 4) and do not forget to shop both the front and back lot. My best buys include a weathervane and my dining room table. This isn't your average flea market. There are some very expensive but wonderful items on the lot as well as many bargains.

You can also also shop at the Safeway which is across from the street or have coffee at the nearby Starbucks. Whole Foods is just up the street. I like to get a slice of pizza from Whole Foods and then shop the market. Many like the nearby Middle Eastern restaurant which now serves breakfast.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Lee E
Chicago, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice antiques”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Good place if your looking for antiques and items with new england history. Alot of collectibles and very nice jewelry although expensive. One star off because there are really not that many vendors there- and there are no food vendors!

Visited September 2012