“Great Tour!”

Chariots for Hire Tours
Ranked #57 of 152 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Chariots For Hire Tours offers DAILY professionally guided tours of Washington, DC as well as Arlington Cemetery. Visit all the iconic monuments and memorials that our great city has to offer! If you would like a private tour with just your group or family, we have a variety of vehicle options for you.
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We left the Gaylord National 30 minutes late, but they more than made up for it! Aaron our driver did a great job and the best part was our Tour Guide Brian! He was so knowledgable, funny and really made the trip a great time. The bus was new and very comfortable. We visited all of the major attractions in Washington. There was a fair amount of walking , but Brian made sure everyone stayed together. This was an evening tour and we did not return till past 11:00 pm, but felt very safe. I highly recommend this company and ask especially for Brian!

1  Thank Richard B

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I am so glad I used this company. Left from the Gaylord Resort. The driver and tour guide were so much better than I expected. I took the 7 hour tour which included lunch. It was EXCELLENT! If you are considering a first time tour of DC....look no further.

1  Thank Eric P
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked this DC @ Night tour with a Groupon. For what we paid, we feel that we received our money's worth. Had we paid full price, we would be a bit more disappointed. We love taking tours, but often prefer smaller groups. We were worried that the website made this look like a big tour bus, but didn't have many other options that we found online. We had a VERY difficult time finding the pickup spot. We were actually right there before the bus arrived, but didn't see it and figured we were wrong. We walked several blocks in different directions and had to call for directions. Instead of being 30 minutes early, we were 3 minutes early (barely). The bus was a smaller shuttle-bus size, which we were happy about. Our group had to split up and sit in different spots because it was nearly full by the time we boarded. Sitting in the back row wasn't something we minded - but it made getting off the bus slower each time we stopped.

We are unclear as to whether or not the speaker system was working. My husband chatted with the driver who said it was working, but the guide held the mic and "tested" it and never got it to work. Though the tour guide has a loud voice and could most of the time project to all people on the bus, I had a difficult time hearing him. I have a hearing condition that oftentimes requires me to read lips. If he was too soft, I had to watch him and read his lips instead of looking at the sights out the windows. When he was loud, I was able to see the landmarks he was talking about. The air conditioner fan was making noise over our head, and that added to the noise, which is no fault of the guide.

The tour guide was very knowledgeable and easy to keep track of when we followed him. He was open to questions on the bus and at the sites. We have been on tours where guides connect with their passengers a little better, but we were not unhappy with him.

This tour does require a good deal of walking. There were some passengers who really struggled with canes and by the end of the night even we had blisters. Our pictures came out great and the weather was wonderful.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Saturday tour. We waited in front of the Ronald Reagan building for about 30 minutes because the air conditioner was broken on the first bus. Finally,a different bus showed up and we left. Our tour guide was pretty good. A woman named Sharon, She never introduced herself or said welcome to the Chariot tour, she just immediately went in to talking about the sites. Which is OK, just thought it was a little strange. Anyway, we were surrounded by a gang of Germans on the bus who could not speak English, except for one of them, who was the interrupter. What a pain, they were so distracting that it was impossible to hear what the guide was saying. Finally, after seeing the monuments, it was lunchtime. The bus driver gave us lunch vouchers for the National food court, but dropped us off at the Ronald Reagan building, then sped away. So we had to walk 3 or 4 blocks in 100 degree heat to get to the right food court. Ugh! The next place was Arlington Cemetery. This tour does not include the trolley that drives around Arlington, so you have to walk uphill about a mile. I decided this was the end of the line for me. There is a Metro at Arlington Cemetery, so we got on and left (skipped the cemetery all together).

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I did the 7-hour American Spirit Premier Tour in Washington, D.C. Our tour guide Al was a delight and very knowledgeable. Also no complaints about the driver. We also enjoyed the stops they had chosen, including The White House, Lincoln Memorial, WWII Memorial and more. The day we went was 90 degrees and the last stop was at Arlington National Cemetery to see President Kennedy's grave and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier/Changing of the Guard. THERE IS NO MENTION ANYWHERE on the Chariots for Hire website about the amount of walking that takes place during this tour, especially at Arlington National Cemetery, where we did the majority of the walking, some being uphill. Many of us really struggled, including those who were just there for the afternoon tour. Our tour guide estimated that we walked approximately 3-4 miles total for the entire day. Had we known this, we would not have chosen this tour. Other than the walking complaint, it was an excellent tour. So, please be prepared to walk if you go!