“Friendly and exceptional staff at the newly constructed building.”

Hyatt Place Washington, DC / US Capitol
Ranked #92 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have stayed at this property twice this month. It is a newly constructed and recently opened hotel at one of the rapidly redevelopment areas in DC.

Pros: The management and staff members have the ability to relate to a wide spectrum of business and leisure travelers in a varied selection of work endeavors. Housekeeping does the superb job to keep this property clean.
Among all dedicated employees, Ms. Teemon has excelled herself at work. She carefully analyzes the business duties she engages in and is not prone to rash or rushed decisions. She is agile on her feet and is able to resolve issues in a timely and professional manner. I compliment her abilities to perform her multiple tasking duties in a superior manner. Never idle, she always assist guests. I am sure that she is the epitome of the strong work ethics so eagerly sought after in the job market.

I wish there were a shuttle service to/from Union Station and places within 3-5 mile radius. A near-by hotel near GU offers the service.

Cons: 1. Park your car at the hotel's valet. Parking one on the streets is "AYOR" (At Your own Risk). It is still a redeveloping area and I would not recommend it.
2. This is the first hotel to try to charge me some free amenities. I have stayed at Park Hyatt. Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Andaz, Hyatt House, Hyatt Place and other hotels; however, this was the first hotel to ask me to pay for a make-up remover and so forth in my second visit to this hotel this month.
3. On my day of checking out, I received a surprising call from a female employee who asked me who had allowed me to check out at 4:00 p.m. As a Diamond member, none of other Hyatt hotels contacted and asked me such a question.

Setting side the minor issues, I don't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. Give the newly opened hotel a chance.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Whisper808
Stacy S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Washington, DC / US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Whisper808,

We are delighted you have enjoyed your experience. It was a pleasure meeting you in the lobby and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences.

We look forward to seeing you again. I apologize for my host contacting you regarding your departure time. We thank your for loyalty.

Best wishes,

Stacy Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel! Very clean and modern/new. This hotel is only about 2 months old. We stayed 4 nights. The room was very nice and spacious with a great view of the capitol and the Washington monument. The staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to accommodate your needs. Naomi at the front desk was very sweet and checked with us daily to see if we needed anything. The parking fee of $30 per night seemed steep, however, your car will be parked in a well secured lot that is monitored by staff. This is a must if you drive a nicer car. The amenities ok. The outdoor Pool was very nice, however a tad bit small. The continental breakfast was very nice with fair selection of hot items to choose from. The location is not bad. Just 2 blocks from the NoMa Gallaudet U metro station. I would defiantly recommend staying at this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brian N
Stacy S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Washington, DC / US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear BrianN,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and staying with us. We are delighted you stayed with us. Naomi and the team look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed week of August 13 - 2014

Excellent hotel. Room was brand new as I was probably the second person to sleep there. The room was large with 2 queen size beds AND a pullout couch for a great price. We stayed on the top floor because I read about the road noise issue. Stayed on the south side.
THE STAFF WAS THE BEST. The pool was a great touch although small. Everything was new right down to the gym room.
New hotel with very minor kinks that I am sure they will resolve.

Pros
Top floor with a great view. Room was perfect. Floor to ceiling window on 14th floor as if you are in the clouds.
Staff.
Food, restaurants, pharmacy, metro, and sites all within walking distance yet just far enough not to be right downtown.

Cons
Breakfest could be better (pancakes and french toast are not supposed to be crispy). Need more variety of fruit (I am being picky now)
Parking cost of $30 plus tax for an outdoor spot down the street is not worth it. You can leave your car on the street. I used the valet and parking because I was not sure of the neighborhood.

Would stay here again.

1  Thank _x_x_Joe

Dear XXJoe,

We are delighted you stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My family stayed for three nights and had a great time! We were on the 14th floor and had a great view of the Capitol Building. Travel was so easy from the Metro which was within short walking distance. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and always fully stocked. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. We are Hyatt Passport members and this hotel met our expectations of Hyatt.

Dear JessicaC,

We are delighted you stayed with us. Thank you for being a loyal Hyatt Gold Passport member. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Couldn't decide on the 4* or 5* ranking. This hotel is new as of June 2014, so the new/clean factor helped bring the rating up. We stayed 4 nights and it was a great place for the end of our busy days in DC. The pool on the roof of the 2nd floor was nice, especially in the afternoon when it is hot and sunny. The rooms are plenty large and of course all the furnishings are new and clean. The maids were good about leaving a lot of towels, but never seemed to replace the TP or shampoo. The staff in general are VERY nice people. If you walk out the back entrance of the hotel and turn left, the Metro is a large block away, very convenient and seemed safe enough area. If you turn right at the first stop sign after exiting the back door of the hotel, you will find multiple places for a quick bite to eat as well as a Moe's on the block by the Metro. We ordered in pizza one night, and the staff were sweet to bring dishes/napkins over to our table in the lobby/breakfast area. Biggest thing to save money, consider parking down the street, it is $ 7 a night vs. $ 30 (plus $5 in parking tax) that the hotel charges, and the valet lot is pretty much in the same location. We should've moved our car. Called down for valet early in the morning the day of our departure, and no one even answered the phone, so had to walk down to ask for our car and wait anyway. Definitely a neighborhood that is reinventing itself, a lot of new builds.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Snowfall1,

We are delighted you stayed with us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

There are definite pros and cons to this hotel. Pros are that the hotel is within 2-3 blocks of the Metro, a grocery store, pharmacy, and plenty of quick-eat restaurants serving good food.

It's also very secure, which is good, as it is surrounded by a mostly seedy area. Which takes me to the cons: Look out the window of your fab hotel room and you will see graffiti, rundown apartment buildings and empty parking lots, which was supremely ironic to us as there was no room in their secure lot for us to park our car. The valet warned us not to park in the street as several cars had been vandalized out there the night before. Not a great start to our stay, especially after driving with our kids six hours and getting there after dark. Just...don't drive.

Desk and bar staff were not overjoyed when we arrived. A shred of enthusiasm would've been nice. The rooms are very nice. The pool is on the rooftop of the second floor - nice but it's tiny and got crowded in the evenings. Really nice workout room.

The biggest gripe my family had was with the noise coming up from the streets. Even from the 9th floor (there are 14), we heard traffic noise all night long, including an almost constant serenade of police and ambulance sirens. I noticed others had mentioned this is their reviews, but I didn't realize it would be THAT noisy. Avoid if you're a light sleeper.

1  Thank CL L

Dear CLL,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay. We truly are appreciative to receive the positive and the learning opportunities to provide our guest the best experience. I look forward to sharing your feedback with our staff and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed 8 days at Hyatt Place Washington DC, and believe me, you will come back. Excellent services, 2 blocks from the Metro Train, and believe me if you like to walk, you might even need it, probably only when you have been walking all day. 20 minutes walking to the Capital, 30 to the White House, 40 to the Washington Monument area, near Union Station, restaurants, fast food, grocery stores, in other words excellent location, excellent rooms, and excellent FREE breakfast. Every staff member very friendly and does the best to help you. The staff reminds me when I stay at the Ritz, warm welcome, “my pleasure”, “allow me to escort you”, “welcome back”, and the best, the manager, Stacy, she really impress me the way she relates with the guests during breakfast, never seen it before. Definitely I recommend it and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: High floors, you will get a excellent view no matter what side.