“Heart of DC Dining”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: H & 9th NW
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown on the red and yellow line. Get off at the 9th Street Exit and we are one block away.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Right in the heart of DC at 777 9th st NW, whether from your hotel or the Convention Center and up the street from the major museums, this restaurant all decked out in brilliant white tile, white everything, delivers upscale experience with exacting service. We were there last week. I had the New York strip steak which came topped with a mixture of onion, pineapple, and bleu cheese. It looked like too much to eat, but I couldn't leave it alone and ate all of it. Potato puree and asparagus were also included. This is one of the really good places in DC.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

What little food available on the menu was mediocre at best. Service was terrible, inattentive, and slow. The restaurant didn't have three of the items available on a menu that has less than a dozen options. It's pretty bad when you can't serve about a third of the items you have on your menu. On top of that, a couple drinks weren't available either. I was extremely disappointed and felt cheated that I paid so much for something I didn't want or enjoy. Even after complaining to the manager no restitution was made.The servers and bar tender were pretentious which really doesn't help this place. The ambiance while striving to be contemporary was a bizarre amalgamation of textures and finishes. I will never come here again.

1  Thank Nads82
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Food is great, whether you go at lunch or dinner. Ambiance, wait staff, etc all pretty good. So I was astounded when I went with another couple one weekend for dinner. We had cocktails, ordered a bottle of wine, three courses, the whole 9 yards but as soon as our last bite was finished, they said we'd reached our limit on time and had to vacate the table. How rude! Couldn't order another bottle of wine, just had to leave. I've eaten here more times than I can count and was hugely disappointed by this ridiculous rule. All good restaurants are busy and have to contend with lingering guests, but no other restaurant I know of has such a policy and they rarely enforce it when they do. Everyone should ask about it when mKing a reservation and insist it be waived!
But for this, I would have given it. 10!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I dined with several coworkers at Oya while we were in town for a nearby conference. We took a short hike to the restaurant, but were pleasantly surprised once we arrived and the food appeared. Of particular note was the amazing pear cocktail the waiter recommended - listen to them, they know what they're talking about! I also really enjoyed the salt an vinegar roll (fish and chips) - delicious!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Oya provided us with a feast for the senses before we headed to the Cher concert around the corner at the Verizon Center. We received a warm welcome when we checked in with the host. Being a few minutes early for the reservation and before our friends were due to meet us we popped into the cozy bar area for a glass of wine. The candles, chains, subdued lighting and white walls were a treat for the eyes. The bar and restaurant were busy before 6pm.
Our table was at the back near the waterfall window which provides a distorted glimpse of the busy kitchen. The wall behind us was covered in artificial white roses. By 7 every seat was filled but we were still able to converse in our cozy banquet.
We enjoyed a very tasty warm spinach and lobster dip to start. Susan ordered the whole branzino over a melange of vegetables. It was expertly prepared and delicious. My duck ragu over pasta was very tasty, though after tasting the branzino, I wish I had gone there. Jan loved her salmon and Irv was pleased with his perfectly cooked Kobe burger with truffle fries. We told our server Sean, that we our concert was to begin at 8pm, and our food arrived swiftly. It actually left us time for cappucino and dessert. Jan's individual pineapple upside down cake looked pretty and disappeared in its entirety. My 3 small scoops of rum raisin ice cream were super-creamy, and with a little more rum flavor would have been perfect! Sean brought us the separate checks we requested and we xited through a packed restaurant and jammed bar at 7:30.