“Dissapointing dinner”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: H & 9th NW
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown on the red and yellow line. Get off at the 9th Street Exit and we are one block away.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went with a business associate to this restaurant while on a recent trip to DC. While the décor seemed very interesting, I found the menu limited and boring. They offered a special rib eye steak which I ordered. While not technically overcooked, it was probably the toughest steak I have ever been served in any restaurant. The service, while friendly and attentive did not overcome the barely adequate food.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Right in the heart of DC at 777 9th st NW, whether from your hotel or the Convention Center and up the street from the major museums, this restaurant all decked out in brilliant white tile, white everything, delivers upscale experience with exacting service. We were there last week. I had the New York strip steak which came topped with a mixture of onion, pineapple, and bleu cheese. It looked like too much to eat, but I couldn't leave it alone and ate all of it. Potato puree and asparagus were also included. This is one of the really good places in DC.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

What little food available on the menu was mediocre at best. Service was terrible, inattentive, and slow. The restaurant didn't have three of the items available on a menu that has less than a dozen options. It's pretty bad when you can't serve about a third of the items you have on your menu. On top of that, a couple drinks weren't available either. I was extremely disappointed and felt cheated that I paid so much for something I didn't want or enjoy. Even after complaining to the manager no restitution was made.The servers and bar tender were pretentious which really doesn't help this place. The ambiance while striving to be contemporary was a bizarre amalgamation of textures and finishes. I will never come here again.

1  Thank Nads82
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Food is great, whether you go at lunch or dinner. Ambiance, wait staff, etc all pretty good. So I was astounded when I went with another couple one weekend for dinner. We had cocktails, ordered a bottle of wine, three courses, the whole 9 yards but as soon as our last bite was finished, they said we'd reached our limit on time and had to vacate the table. How rude! Couldn't order another bottle of wine, just had to leave. I've eaten here more times than I can count and was hugely disappointed by this ridiculous rule. All good restaurants are busy and have to contend with lingering guests, but no other restaurant I know of has such a policy and they rarely enforce it when they do. Everyone should ask about it when mKing a reservation and insist it be waived!
But for this, I would have given it. 10!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I dined with several coworkers at Oya while we were in town for a nearby conference. We took a short hike to the restaurant, but were pleasantly surprised once we arrived and the food appeared. Of particular note was the amazing pear cocktail the waiter recommended - listen to them, they know what they're talking about! I also really enjoyed the salt an vinegar roll (fish and chips) - delicious!