“Thank you bill”

Capitol City Hostel
Capitol City Hostel
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I spent 5 days at this hostel and I really enjoyed my time there. Bill is a really nice person and the bathrooms were cleaned really often. But its not like a normal hostel it's more like a house with lots of beds. But that mean not too much people around and a comfortable livingroom .
There is just one thing that is not good. The neighborhood is not really good so better you come there and go if it's not dark outside. But nothing happened to me when I was there and I really enjoyed my stay there

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Capital City host Bill is really kind, helpful, considerate, running the best hostel hosting business, in my opinion. . I lived there for days, very comfortable! The best service compared with other hostels I have stayed before,and the lowest price you can ever get--$20 !

Bill may be not famous on the website, but if you come to this real world, you see how much people have appreciate for his service-- hand writing Thank you notes, cards all over the walls doors, from all over the world. Here, Just live for a day or so, you understand why people appreciate his thoughtful, kind services.

Here, visitors live in harmony, shared kitchen, bathrooms clean. I felt i had taken so much of advantage for all his service. Also, a very special service to be mentioned: Here provide laundry service: hand a load of dirty cloth, come back to you all freshly washed by your own load with only $5. Where can you find such wonderful service in the world! I want to give my hearty thanks here to bill, and want to help many other traveler to make their hostel selections.

Thank you tripadvisor for the opportunity to share my view!

Rebecca

Room Tip: This is a hostel, not hotel, no swimming pool, no fitness center, But a practical low price of $20 f...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had a really enjoyable stay. Like Mike F says down below, this area is really not as bad as other reviewers make it out to be as long as you have an open mind. There's really good grungy Chinese food and Pakistani food next door if that's your thing.

Shout out to the awesome peeps I hung out with: Matthew from Australia, George from New York, Sylvester from Nigeria. Really great hostel atmosphere where everyone is sharing travel stories. Recommended more for solo travelers than couples.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Capitol City Hostel has a really pleasant vibe, which you can probably gather from the other reviews, is in the main part to do with Bob...really lovely guy, very forthcoming with any information you need. I stayed in the second house a few doors down and had plenty of space in the huge room at the front. The Wifi works just fine and the kitchen is useable if a little small but all in all, its a well functioning hostel. I just felt that the hostel needed a heavy spring clean, everything just felt and smelt a little musty...Mary Poppins would do wonders here.

In addition, whilst its certainly easy to get downtown from the hostel (cross the road and take the bus directly to the White House), the area didn't really feel too safe and I looked a little out of place on the bus on the way in every morning.

I personally wouldn't have any problems staying here again, but for the purposes of the wider Trip Advisor population, it may not be for some.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I'm from the States and I stayed for a week at the hostel.

Pros:
-Hot showers
-Bunk beds are large & comfy
-Wifi is fast
-Satellite TV

Cons:
-The place is cluttered
-House is dirty and could use a deep cleaning
-House has an unpleasant odor

Observations:
-Appliances and furniture (computers, and TV) are outdated, old or dirty. Computers are slow.
-Safety: If you're a female and you're staying at this hostel be careful. I had an issue where another resident of the opposite sex was watching me while I slept.
-Bill was alright. He was hospitable at times but tended to be annoyed when people asked/inquired about anything.
-Area where the hostel is located seems sketchy but with my experience was fine.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank mcmic1212
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The owner bill was fantastic, he gave us a good explanation of the bus schedules, the safety, the food around the area as well as things not to do. The accommodation was good as we expected it to be. THANK YOU!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Let me address the two main issues raised by others:
1. Cleanliness: I have to agree this is not a very clean place overall. Keep in mind though that it (both houses) are private houses and you get the good (vibe) with the bad. If you're visiting someone, you'll tolerate some dirty corners I'd say. Also, if you think this is real dirty then you have not been backpacking in very many places I claim. I had no real issues using the bathrooms, and the linens were clean. Still, I back the notion of getting someone to clean house, Bill. Might work out in the end financially, too.
2. Neighborhood: This is not even close to a ghetto!!! Take a good look around and you'll see barely any serious poverty, and a lot of very friendly faces. Went out several times, rode the bus (about 20-30min to town because of traffic) alone well past midnight, in 4 days I had only good experiences and encounters, which is a very rare thing to say for any neighborhood. Get over the fact that most residents are black, jeez. I'm swiss, white as can be, btw.

Beds vary, some are very soft, others futon-style, generally very big. Breakfast is ok, had bread, butter, jam, milk, tea, you can get that 24h, which is very generous. Paid $5 a night for the car in the backyard, side streets would have been safe enough for me but are not always free on work days (i think). The two computers are free, win xp and ok to slow speed, very fast wifi though.

Room Tip: Don't miss the pakistani at the corner! Chicken kebob, what a treat.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo