“Good Value”

Ranked #125 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Newcastle, Australia
“Good Value”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at the Windsor Park. The hotel is in a very nice area and within walking distance to several reasonably priced restaurants. We caught the bus from NY and it dropped us off at DuPont Circle and the hotel is only about a 15 minute walk. Our room was very spacious with a separate living area. Everything was clean and the room was quiet. Breakfast was better than lots of other hotels we had stayed at. They had fresh fruit! If you like walking as we do you can walk to all the famous sights from the hotel. The other plus about the room was you could open the windows and let fresh air in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MST52
WPHWashington, Manager at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for your good review. We hope you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Nice and quite place. Well situated and great value for the money. i was there for just one night but service was pretty good. Nice surroundings and plenty of restaurants. Breakfast was good and wifi connections was also good

Room Tip: Nice and well situated
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
We do appreciate your kind review. Please come back and stay with us again.
nj
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Reading the extremes in some of the reviews gave me second thoughts about staying here. The past 2 weeks I had been staying in a 3+ star hotel near Union Station. When rates doubled after Labor day I needed to find More reasonably priced lodging. Windsor hotel came up in bookng.com so i tried it. Yes the place is dated, musty and small in scale but well worth the price. My 3+ star hotel didn't provide a continental breakfast nor a refrigerator nor free wifi and only had a few tv channels. It did have gym which the Windsor doesn't. But then the 10 minute walk to the metro provides exercise. Nice neighborhood and plenty of restaurants to chose from. Since I will be staying in the dc area for a few months I would have liked a better long stay lodging rate. I address that next week.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank onvacationx
Thank you for your good review. We have always tried to provide the things that guests need the most and include them with no extra charge. We understand that cost is a very important issue and we are always looking for ways to add value. We hope you come back to stay with us again.
Geneva
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have just arrived at the Windsor Park and am surprised by the negativity expressed by some previous reviewers. It is great value for money, very well situated (a few minutes from Connecticut Avenue), everything seems to work and there is free internet access (laptop and desk top). If the critics want something better then there are a lot of other hotels in the area - but at a much higher price of course.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Catrin
Your response is greatey appreciated. We have always felt that those who have the most negative responses are those that did not research our hotel and find out all the facts about us. We have a very in depth website which describes the age of the building and there are many photos of all areas of the hotel. You are obviously well traveled and have experienced all aspects of the lodging industry. Thank you
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This hotel has a nice old fashioned feel to it and the rooms are great value for money. I was in a room on the fifth floor with 2 others for 3 nights and the 2 queen beds were comfortable and clean. Housekeeping came each day. The bathroom looked much newer than the rest of the hotel and it was also clean. Wi fi worked fine on my floor and in my room. I very much enjoyed the continental breakfast which was an assortment of bagels, muffins, cereal, tea, coffee, juice and bananas. Nice, quiet location and quick walk down hill to Dupont Circle and the metro station there. No complaints about the radiator, our room was set at a comfortable temperature and we didn't have to touch it. I was wary after reading many negative reviews on here, but once again I've discovered that there are so many fussy people out there who only have negative things to say! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annie H
WPHWashington, Owner at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope to see you again.
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed 26 June 2013

find another place to stay--keys not cards? safety!!!--room dirty--bed broken--rust on all fixtures--wow--you guys really need to do some work. Tile floor on bathroom loose. I stayed here as courtesy to a friend who booked it--I would of left, but in no position to do so. This place has so much potential--let it reach that potential--there were a lot of asian speakers in the hotel--booked out of country I guess---they were unhappy as well--one had a kleenex when they opened their door--we both laughed--laughter is the same in all languages.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank MaestroOhio

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed here on business. I used to live in Cleveland Park (which is a mile north of this hotel), but recently moved to Maryland and needed a cheap place to stay two nights for work. Aspects of this hotel ranged from terrible to decent, so in no particular order:

1) Location = Woodley Park is an excellent area. It's clean and safe. The hotel is about 0.7 miles north of Dupont. The walk downhill is super easy and fast. It puts you right at the Metro (red line), wonderful restaurants, and a flurry of DC hot-spots. Parking is a bear, though. There's only street parking, and the times are restricted. My advice is to take a cab from the Woodley Park or Dupont metros. Walk down the hill on Connecticut Ave to the Hilton on the left for the easiest place to find a cab.

2) The Smell = in a word, bad. The hotel reaked of stale cigarettes. But I'm also pregnant, so I have a keen sense of smell. Regardless, it was gross.

3) The Staff = very friendly and helpful. They do the best they can with the very limited space and resources they have.

4) The Room = ugh. Where to start. For $168 per night, we were upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor, which was huge. But, it was very old, dated, and uncomfortable. The living room had one sofa chair that fit one person, a tiny flatscreen tv, a trundle bed, and an old desk with wooden chair. My husband and I ended up watching tv from the bed, which was so far away we could hardly see the screen. Sadly, we also ended up sleeping on the daybed...it seemed much cleaner than the queen in the bedroom. Although the walls were paper-thin and the curtains were gossamer (blocking out zero sunlight), I actually slept pretty well.

5) Temperature = As other reviewers mentioned, the temperature controls are a total mess. I was a little cold the first evening (a cool spring night), so I put on the heat. Cold air blasted from the vents, and I gave up. There was a thermostat that is probably as old as the hotel. If this stay had been during the winter or summer, I probably would have checked out immediately.

6) Bathrooms = For me, the bathroom can make or break a hotel. This place got 2 stars because it was very clean, comfortable, and had a decent shower. The water was hot, pressure was good, and the showerhead was new. Maybe I have low standards, but it greatly improved my stay.

7) Incidentals = Free internet is a nice perk (both in the business center and in the rooms). Free breakfast is also nice, but it's a grab-and-go type deal. My husband said the muffins and croissants were good as a quick start to the day. Nothing to write home about, and very little space in the kitchen to eat them.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. But, it's very cheap compared to area hotels, and if one is willing to look past the old, outdated feel, it's a fairly comfortable place for a day or two. I did get home and remark that my house is exponentially cleaner than this hotel....which is pretty sad.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business