“a taste of Brussels”
Review of Brasserie Beck

Brasserie Beck
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasserie Beck is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 3,338 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Transit: McPherson Square or Metro Center
Reviewed 16 April 2014

if you've never been to Belgium imagine French/Dutch inspired cuisine with German portions and the world's best beer and chocolate. my wife and i went a few years back and so i wanted to see if there were any DC restaurants that featured this. Brasserie Beck is a Robert Wiedmaier restaurant (the same chef who owns Marcel's; DC's currently highest rated restaurant on tripadvisor) so i expected quality and was prepared to pay for it. It's located just east of McPherson Square about an 8 minute walk from the metro station of the same name. If the weather is nice there is ample outdoor seating. I made reservations ahead of time for Sunday brunch so i was assured a spot.

I was quickly greeted and offered a spot out front. Everyone from the hostess to the busboys and waitstaff were all very friendly without the slighest sign of arrogance. My waiter, a young man, spoke a good deal of French which i was happy to reciprocate. He made some reccomendations and was very pleasant overall. The beer menu was respectable and had many Belgian trappists, ales, wheats, and blondes. The price for these is double what you'd pay at Total Wine but i appreciated the selection.

I ordered a Brabo which was refreshing on such a hot day along with the chicken and belgian waffles for brunch. it was served with a small bit of sausage gravy, an over easy egg, and bread/butter. The chicken was pretty tasty with a cajun kick but the drumstick was a tad bit underdone. no bloody tendons or anything but probably came off soon after. the mini waffles were good but not outstanding. they didn't exactly take me back to Brussels but fine nonetheless. i also saw that they offered cornbread waffles which i thought was odd. the egg was probably cooked for 3 minutes and then lightly garnished with pepper. I'm personally not a fan of runny eggs but i did manage to eat some of it and won't hold it against them. On the other hand i'm not a big salad fan but theirs was great! i don't know what it was seasoned with but it had thin strips of apple. The bread and sausage gravy were also very good and rounded out what was a nice brunch outside. DC is expensive in general but i got out of there with what i considered a reasonable bill. although i enjoyed my meal i still wish i had the mussels with frites. would visit again

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We hadn't been to Beck in over two years and decided to drop in after a Sunday concert. The hostess staff were exceedingly polite and accommodating. Server was cool at first but warmed up who we engaged him regarding his native country. Food was the hit as it should be. Outstanding frisée salad and a delicious charcuterie followed by fresh plump and delicious mussels and a steak and frites not experienced since our last trip to Belgium. All washed down with a rare find: draught Chimay. We'll be back

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We found this restaurant from the net. Our experience mimicked others, however we did have our own unique observations. The oysters were from Washington State? Seems to me that the Chesapeake or Delaware Bay or even NOLA would have supplied a better option. The oysters were very small but very edible.
The mussels were first rate (butter, garlic, wine and tarragon). The Pork shank was pretty unique. I have had a similar cut elsewhere but this Fred Flintstone-like offering was pretty special with a fine sauerkraut and fingerling potatoes.
Our waiter was first rate as was the manager who accommodated our seating outside despite the threat of rain. You really don't find this quality of food and service for cheap. I thought the price to be reasonable, oh yes the beer was quite good.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

First time in DC with my family. I saw this restaurant as we were walking and loved their outdoor seating! The hostess was not very welcoming. It took over 10 minutes for our waiter to attend us and when we asked him about the menu all he said was uh-huh...no suggestions whatsoever. He only checked on us once and then took another 10minutes to get our bill. I've had better food for the price we paid. It did not impress me at all. I would definitely not recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

If you are a foodie, this restaurant is a must. I enjoyed a full order of their veal bolognese mussels that were to die for. They were large and meaty and the steaming broth of the veal bolognese had large pieces of ground veal with tomatoes and parm cheese. The full order is served with frites and a flavorful selection of aioli. They were crispy and flavorful. My husband had the steak frites. Truly of what you would get in Paris. The Belgian beer selections are wonderful as well. This is must stop if you live food and mussels. Bon Apetit!