“Wonderful stay in Dupont Circle area”

Georgetown Inn West End
Ranked #96 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
West Hills, CA
“Wonderful stay in Dupont Circle area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights at the Best Western Georgetown Hotel and Suites. We had a roomy suite with a separate living room and bedroom. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast every morning. You can not beat the location. Approximately 3 blocks to Dupont Circle. Walking distance to wonderful restaurants and art galleries. We would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Judy F.
West Hills, CA

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JudyWestHills
YourDCManager, Manager at Georgetown Inn West End, responded to this review, 14 July 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Dallas Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed at the Best Western, Georgetown for three nights while in DC for the One Nation Demonstration on the Mall. This hotel really rolled out the red carpet for us. The staff were very helpful and fulfilled our every need. The rooms were well appointed, though a bit cramped with the King Bed filling up the bedroom. The beds were exceptionally comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was very complete and good, with carefilled attention by the staff member. The staff and their attention to us (guests) was outstanding and very friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MusicMomma1
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I chose this hotel based on LOCATION. Therefore evaluations are based on expectations of a "decent and safe place to spend the night" with dining within walking distance.
The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Front Desk was very helpful to all questions and needs. The area was safe to walk to restaurants.

I slept on the sofa due to to issues explained below. Despite my precautions I did experience the following problelm. This is part of my letter to the hotel:

"When we left California to come East, we were aware that there is an ongoing East Coast epidemic of bedbugs occurring in normally safe and clean hotels. I followed the preventive advice from the WEB during our vacation and had good results. . . .until I slept on the sofa in our room.

When I made our reservations, my selected accommodation was described a bed and a “hide a bed sofa” which I planned to open and sleep on (giving my elderly father the bed). On arrival, I was unable to open the sofa bed, I contacted the Front Desk and they told me that the hidden bed in the sofa was no longer an option for use. (Note to Reservation Department: change your room description, sofa bed does NOT open for use). The Front Desk generously offered a rollaway bed “free of charge” which I thankfully accepted.

Why did I not use the rollaway bed? Opening the rollaway bed in the living room area next to the sofa – made the nighttime pathway to the bathroom difficult to navigate for my father. So, I opted to sleep on the sofa with sheets and blankets. Not the most comfortable, but it was my choice based on elder safety.

I believe that there may be bedbugs in the sofa. During our stay, I was bitten 6-7 times on my upper arm, back and ankle by some insect resulting in red itching raised bumps.

I did not mention the bites during our stay at your hotel because, frankly, I thought they might be mosquito bites possibly occurring during our walks exploring the outdoor monuments near the Mall. It wasn’t until my return to California that I became suspicious of the bites and checked the WEB for pictures of bedbug bites. Classic bite marks."

The hotel's response does address their followup and appropriate concern:

They regretted that my experience was not 100% succesful and assured me that, despite not having any similar reports from any previous guests in my room, they were taking my concerns very seriously. They contacted their Pest Control vendor, as one would expect. I was told that the housekeeping managers also immediately searched the sofa and the entire contents of the guestroom in earnest and found nothing. The management thanked me for my e-mail.

Hotel management seemed to be responsive and needs to be credited for addressing an problem faced by many hotels on the East Coast.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed 10 days with my sister. Every employee nice and very helpful. Found the breakfast helpful as food in DC is expensive.Our room was very spacious. Even included some dishes. We had a great time and give Best Western credit for alot of this. We were easily lost and desk clerks helped us locate every thing we needed. Thanks so mcuh to them
. Even though next to University housing we heard no noise.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank OldWomanCalifornia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

I stayed here with my mother and my sister. Upon checking in I immediately had a bad feeling - the hotel was dark, dingy, and in my opinion not cleaned well. We stayed for two days and in that time did not see any bed bugs. However, after we left the hotel problems began to arise at home about 2 weeks later when I started getting bitten. To make a long story short, after calling a professional to come search the house 2 months later, it was discovered that my mother and I had a bed bug infestation in our rooms. We're positive we got them from The Best Western Georgetown because we have not stayed anywhere since. Upon calling the hotel to let them know, they refused to even entertain the idea and were rude. Do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2010
3 Thank Conniferous19
GeorgetownGM, General Manager at Georgetown Inn West End, responded to this review, 8 October 2010
The hotel is very clean and well-maintained. Also,the hotel's management would like to the traveling public to know the following:

Firstly, we’re proud that our hotel has earned several awards from Best Western International, most recently in July 2010, for the high standard of our facility’s cleanliness. Despite any other claims, the hotel does NOT have a problem with any type of insect infestation. No future hotel guest should be concerned about this issue affecting their visit to Washington, DC. On the contrary, we expect future guests to enjoy clean, comfortable accommodations, a friendly staff, a great location and an entirely successful overall experience. We sincerely hope you will take a minute to review the preponderance of positive internet postings and see what others are saying about our hotel!

Secondly, as hoteliers, we recognize the need to take reasonable care for the health and safety of our guests. Therefore, we exercise due diligence in investigating all such claims. Our routine protocol requires us to have our pest control company to immediately conduct a thorough on-site inspection of the premises. Our pest control experts are licensed and registered in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia and to date they have yet to find a single problem at our hotel.

Given the current media attention, we fully understand the insidious nature of this problem and how it can affect the public not only in hotels, but in taxi-cabs, restaurants, libraries and now even in some schools. The public is rightly concerned about this issue, but let us assure you that we are ever-vigilante about the comfort and well-being of our hotel’s guests. We hope that we can look forward to welcoming you to the Best Western Georgetown Hotel & Suites and its great neighborhood in the nation’s capital!
Reading, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

I stayed 6 nights at the Best Western Georgetown. Few drawbacks, many positives. The location is good: it takes no more than 15 minutes to stroll to the White House, and less to reach the World Bank and similar business locations. It's close to Metro stop at Foggy Bottom. It's a nice neighbourhood, with plenty of reaturants within a 10 minute walk, shops the same, and fairly quiet.

Room was very good: large and spacious, with most facilities including, for those working, a table and a desk, and a free very fast wirless broadband connection. There's also a sink, microwave, and coffee maker. So good to get on with work.

Staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. I arrived with a mangled booking at midnight, but the receptionist got on with sorting out the problem.

Any drawbacks? Few. Breakfast is fairly basic: anyone wanting cheese, bacon, eggs cooked or than boiled, or a good range breads will be disappointed.

Overall, good enough: when I come back to Washington I shall try this one first of all.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Horsens, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

I booked this hotel while staying for a weekend and a three-day conference. Normally I stay at an other hotel when in DC, but as this was refurbishing, they were short on rooms - and furthermore they are getting a bit steep.
I've got a suite with fridge and microwave at the top floor, as it was hot and humid, ample supplies of water and anything else. The room was fine and clean - though some fresh air or aircon would have done the room good before I arrived. The bathroom was spotlessly clean with ample supplies of towels, shampoo etc. I missed some shelves for my sponge bag etc, as the sink arrangement is extremely small.
The neighbourhood is quiet and safe - walked there every night, when taking my evening stroll to Georgetown, which is within 10 minutes walking distance.
Only 5 mins. walk to either Foggy Bottom GWU metro station or 5 mins. the opposite direction to Dupont Circle.
The wireless connection worked like a dream - though you should note it is an unsecure connection, so if possible, use a VPN client.
I did'nt try the breakfast - simply because I either slept a bit late in the weekend or left early on weekdays for the conference.
Highly recommendable if a nice, clean place to stay at nights, maybe work a little and then spend the days in town or at a conference.
Tips:
There is a good chinese restaurant just nearby (Meiwah).
There is a Trader Joe's on the corner of L st. and 25th NW - pretty crowded.
Lots of restaurants and shops on M st. all trough Georgetown - try the rib racks at Old Glory.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business