“Very Nice Hotel”

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I stayed here Oct 23-25 and found the hotel to be very nice. I found a deal throught Travelzoo, which included parking in the price (a plus). I arrived prior to check in time, but was allowed to check in and place my luggage in my room. I had reserved 2 beds in my room, and was surprised when there was on queen bed and a pull out sofa. After speaking to 2 staff members, I found out that although I requested 2 full beds, they can only guarantee 2 beds will be in the room in the form of 2 full beds or a queen bed and sofa bed. There are only about 8 rooms with 2 full beds in the entire hotel, the rest are in the queen/sofabed layout. I do wish they had relayed that information when I booked...

The rooms were large, this room style has a mini-fridge and microwave (not the full kitchen like I thought I was getting). Large closet, decent size bathroom. 2 balconies.

Noise was not an issue at all, and the decor in the hotel was very nice. I chose to not use the included parking (it was valet) because I was told it can take up to 30 min to get your car...and I'm the type that when I'm ready to go...I'm ready to go! Street parking was never an issue, so that is the path I took.

Overall, a very nice stay and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 October 2009

I read the reviews before I selected this hotel and they are very accurate. The suite we stayed in had a very good coffee maker, microwave, fridge, 2 mugs and spoons. So we had to nip round to the supermarket to buy plates, etc. The restaurant had a special menu week when we were there, the food was wonderful, wine great although a little expensive.
There is a washing machine and dryer in the basement which is handy.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
GMOWCH, general manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2009

Fareham , UK

Thank you for your feedback and your visit allow me to apologize for the lack of plates and utensils in your room. Your feedback has allowed us the opportunity to correct this short coming. Looking forward to welcoming you again when visiting Washington DC.

Reviewed 18 October 2009

I chose One Washington Circle for my family's accommodations during the weekend of my wedding. My choice was the result of an extensive search of many properties in Washington, and the positive feedback from my family after our stay reassured me that I made the right choice. I was apprehensive about previous posts about noise from the hospital nearby, but noise wasn't a problem during our stay. The sales staff offered a competitive group rate, which was a great value considering the convenient location and comfort of this hotel. A wheelchair-accessible room was available for my grandmother to reserve, and she was over-the-moon about the stylish furniture and amount of space in her guestroom. I've been eating at the hotel restaurant (Circle Bistro) for years, so we also held our rehearsal dinner here. The bar at Circle Bistro was a great hangout for friends and family to catch up after the rehearsal dinner. I stayed in a regular guestroom on the first night of my stay, and then the friendly front-desk staff upgraded me to the "Grand Stateroom" for my wedding night. I would recommend this hotel for business travelers as well as for family gatherings.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
GMOWCH, General Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2009

Washington DC

Congratulations to you on your wedding and thank you for allowing us the pleasure of serving you, family and friends at the most joyous occasion. Your feedback was great as we are always in the business of offering personalized service. Glad we were able to accommodate your Grandmother and that she enjoyed her room. Circle Bistro for the fall has become even cozier by the lighting of the fire place. Looking forward to welcoming you and your spouse for a return visit.

Reviewed 17 October 2009

Spent 4 days at this hotel in mid-October with 2 teens. Room on the 9th floor with a full kitchen was perfect for our family. The hotel is not "downtown" but it's within a few minutes walking distance to both Georgetown and the Foggy Bottom Metro station so everything is accessible. Service was excellent, gym and pool were clean. Although I'd read on TA about the sirens (hospital's across the street), we weren't bothered by them. In any case, everyone seems to sit on their horn in DC. All in all, a great experience. Keep in mind that parking is $30/day, added on to your room fee.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family

Montreal

Thank you for your kind comments and the team at One Washington Circle is pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the Washington Circle with our mid- teenage sons. The set up is perfect for families. (You know the problem with older kids in hotels; too old to stay in the same room with Mom and Dad, but too young to have their own room.) Apparently it was originally built as an apartment building so our room had a bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, a kitchen, dining room and living room with pull out sofa. The balcony was a nice plus. Although the traffic zipping around Washington Circle was pretty much all the time, it was nice sitting out there at night, watching the urban bustle. We saw the Vice President's motorcade go by a couple of times. All in all, the set up worked out very nicely, plenty of room as well as privacy.
The staff for the most part was very accomodating. The pool, though small, was never crowded. The restaurant and bar were fine. The lobby and entrance were actually much nicer than the photos would lead one to believe.
The location was very good, about a block from the M station which you could take to everything. The area was pretty upscale, close to the embassies, George Washington University and Georgetown.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathleen A

Chicago, IL

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our property and our city. When you return to Washington, DC we will be here with open arms to welcome you back.

Reviewed 6 October 2009

I set up for a group to stay at, and eat at, One Washington Circle. The location (except for the noise issue which is discussed below) is terrific. The staff was very helpful and everyone we encountered was extremely pleasant. The room was clean and spacious with a great set-up; the bathroom was through a sort of dressing room that included a room safe, luggage rack, clothes rack and a bathrobe and umbrella. There was also a separate full, small kitchen that was stocked with utensils, paper towels (much appreciated), dishes, etc. and included a full-sized fridge, microwave, and oven. It was great to have the kitchen, even for just a one night stay. The bathroom was small, but well-designed to use the limited space and it appeared to have been recently renovated. The toilet was broken when we arrived, but it was repaired immediately. The only problem with the room was the same problem others on this site have complained of: the noise. Even on the 8th floor, the sirens from GWU hospital across the street were very loud. We also had people chatting in the hall late at night and it sounded as though they were actually in our room. I slept on a cot that should never have been given to a guest. The springs were sticking into my ribs all night.

We had a dinner in a private function room of the hotel that went fine. The price was good for DC and the food was good, plus we were allowed to bring in our own cake as a second dessert. The entrees got mixed reviews, but the bread, salad, and dessert were all very good. The wines were surprisingly expensive given the food prices.

We were promised a private room for breakfast, but at the last minute we were informed that we would just have a private space in the Bistro. Unfortunately, even that did not happen and we ended up in a room without enough tables and chairs--but with a family settled in to the largest table. (Yes, we pitied that family.) There did not appear to be a manager or host on site, so we ended up having to clear and clean tables and move them into what was supposed to be our group space. The full American breakfast that was included in the price of our rooms was terrible. The food was lousy, cold, and not replenished as necessary. The choices were incredibly limited with no muffins or pastries of any sort, and the restaurant was severely understaffed, which made getting juice or coffee a challenge. If you have the option of a "breakfast included" rate, ask for a lower rate without the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank Greymere

Some Good, Some Bad

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here at One Washington Circle Hotel. Although your stay was not up to our standard of service please allow me to apologize for our shortfall regarding breakfast service. The management team focused on that process and on your next visit your experience will be much more enjoyable.

Reviewed 28 September 2009

Overall: A good hotel at a good price. Not fancy, but not expensive.

Positives: the great location between Foggy Bottom and Georgetown means you can walk to the metro and to dozens of restaurants and shops. The staff is super-friendly and attentive. The rooms are large, and the manager may be able to give you an upgrade. The room rates are terrific.

Negatives: the overall facility is starting to run down a bit -- it could use some remodeling and updating. The in-house restaurant is supposedly quite good, but breakfast is an extra charge and the room service rates are mind-bogglingly expensive (a cheeseburger and two beers delivered to your room will cost you $40 ! No kidding). The two elevators are maddeningly slow and decrepit and badly in need of replacement. The washer-drier for guests are old and battered and require two full washes and two full dries to finish your clothes (at $8 per load). The free in-room internet service was spotty when I was there, and took four days to get repaired properly.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
GMOWCH, general manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2009

rogers222 thank you for your visit and your feedback. Currently we are looking into carpet replacement and internet upgrade. We also repaired the dryer which was down. Sorry it took time. Your return visit will be smoother and we look forward to having you back.