“Great rooms, bad neighborhood, bad service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of One Washington Circle Hotel

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #29 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Miami, FL
“Great rooms, bad neighborhood, bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

I thought staying in downtown D.C. would be a good idea, I was wrong. This is not a good neighborhood after dark, but it isn't the worse either so if price is the most important thing for you then this hotel can work. The rooms are very clean and large, I loved the lay out and I cannot say one bad thing about the rooms themselves. however, the service i received form the front desk lady was really bad. She was rude and would cut me off mid sentence, she asked for proof that I had reserved my room with free parking and when i went to reply she cut me off and told me not to worry about it. Although she didn't give me problems about the free parking because i had prepaid the room, the way she treated me was rude and unnecessary. I would never stay here again based just on this person, I haven't been traveled this rudely by any hotel staff. The rest of the staff was nice but this woman puts them all to shame.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FOMattheCircleHotel, Front Office Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Hello,

Please accept my most sincere apology for the inconvenience that we have caused you during your stay. I want to ensure you that this unfortunate experience is not a normal practice of One Washington Circle Hotel.

I understand that we failed to deliver the service that you expect from our property. I have addressed all of the issues with my staff and as a result we are instituting new standards to ensure our guest experience is a positive one.

Again, I would like to apologize for this unfortunate incident. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Greek first
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

We stayed at One Washington Circle for only two nights, but I wish we had been able to stay longer! It's location is perfect (in a nice neighborhood very close to the Mall area, with plenty of restaurants and a neat independent cinema) and we found a great discounted price online for a studio room w/ kitchen. The rate even included free valet parking (normally a $30/night cost). It was so convenient to be able to walk to Trader Joe's to get groceries and prepare food in the little kitchen, which was equipped with everything you might want or need.
The hotel staff were very polite and helpful, and actually gave us a free upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite when we arrived. The room was very nice, with modern furnishings and tasteful decor. It was usually very quiet, but a little noisy outside in the morning. However, the bed was so comfortable that we still slept very well. If we go back to D.C., I'm sure we'll be staying there again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin_Daniel
FOMattheCircleHotel, Front Office Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
Hello,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time from your schedule to write such a wonderful review you gave our hotel and staff. It is our goal to exceed all of our guest’s expectations. We are very happy you chose our hotel for your stay and pleased you enjoyed your stay and your visit here in DC. The entire team looks forward to welcoming you, your family and friends back in the future.

Again, thank you and we look forward to being your hotel of choice with any future reservations to the D.C area. Feel free to contact me with any needs you may have in the future.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

We just returned from a three night stay at One Washington Circle. We had a wonderful stay from the moment we pulled into the driveway until we left. The gentleman who helped us with our car and luggage was outstanding. I believe his name started with an "M" -- he should be commended (was working on 2/18 at 7PM). My young children were exhausted and somewhat grumpy from a very long trip. He sensed our stress and immediately began engaging them in conversation and entertaining them while we emptied our car. He then brought our luggage up and proceeded to give us an overview of the area (metro, CVS location, Trader Joe's location) from the balcony. He went way above and beyond.

We were delighted to receive an upgrade from the friendly desk clerk especially given the very inexpensive rate we paid for the room. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The maid was friendly and did a nice job. We needed maintenance at one point and he was at our door in less than 10 minutes.

We ate breakfast and dinner every night in our suite. Trader Joe's is an easy walk. CVS also had a lot more food items than the ones at home. If you are planning to cook, I would suggest bringing a sharp knife and a foil pan since those weren't available in our kitchen. Otherwise, it was very well-equipped. Also, we weren't able to find kids shows on the tv (for free) but had a portable dvd player with us that helped when they were in need of some entertainment (and I was in need of not providing it LOL).

We walked to the White House from the hotel and used the Circulator bus to get to the Smithsonian. We used the Metro to get to the zoo. Everything was very easy to get to from this hotel.

Clearly, this is a very well-run hotel. I highly recommend it (but I hope that in doing so I will still be able to still find a rate I can afford--I definitely look forward to coming back!).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Juli1216

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

We were visiting my son at GWU and chose this hotel for it's location near the University (which was great) and the rate we received through Travelzoo. The room was clean and large (with kitchenette as others have mentioned). We had two minor problems: (1) the remote control for the TV would not work and (2) the toilet ran off and on the entire night. We advised the desk about the remote (that it probably just needed batteries) and they told us they would send someone up, but no one ever came. A breakfast buffet was included with our stay. Unfortunately, the eggs were cold. The staff was very nice and cheerfully kept our luggage for us for a few hours after we checked out. If I received a good rate again, I would probably stay here in the future as it's so close to GW.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mckinfam
Hello,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time from your schedule to write a review of our hotel and staff. It is our goal to exceed all of our guest’s expectations. I can assure you the next time you stay with us I will personally make sure everything in your room is in working order. I have also spoken with our chef about your experience.

Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

Booked One Washington through hotels.com and had both an excellent rate and complimentary valet parking. Enjoyed a spacious suite, including a full kitchen, internet access, etc. Staff is extremely helpful! Will book it again for next DC travel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

We were in DC to see the DC tourist sites and just walked down to the mall every day, but there was a nearby metro station and another bus system close by if you weren't up for a big walk. We really enjoyed the area that the hotel was located in. There were lots of restaurants, colleges and embassies. This hotel had a complete kitchen and it was fairly close to the Trader Joe's so it would be possible to not have to go to restaurants. We, however, enjoyed the local restaurants, although a small continental style breakfast would of been nice in the mornings. The staff seemed especially friendly and helpful, and I noticed the support and connections they established with visitors staying at the hotel who had relatives at the nearby hospital. Anyway, we had a nice stay here and the price was very reasonable for the area. We would stay here another time. I noticed the ambulances at night on a couple of occasions but they did not bother me.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank greenivy
FOMattheCircleHotel, Front Office Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2011
Hello,

Certainly, it is rewarding to read positive reviews on travel site; the benefits are two-fold as positive reviews boost our team’s spirit and allow us to grow reputation. The next time you are staying with us please stop by to see me it would be my pleasure to offer you a chance to have breakfast at the Circle Bistro restaurant on me.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

In a lot of the reviews I saw complained about the noise- what did they expect? it's central! We slept right through it, if it even lasted that long. The room was very spacious and the staff helpful- if I had to put a "but" in the place I'd be that the beds could be more comfortable. Walked to Lincoln Memorial from there, very moving. Excellent stay, at great price!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FOMattheCircleHotel, Front Office Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2011