“I liked the place very much”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, CA
“I liked the place very much”
Reviewed 19 October 2007

This property is very conveniently located in a clean and tranquil street, away from any traffic. The charming Dupont Circle area is within a short walking distance.

I have always favored the Kimpton family hotels because of the unbeatable value for money they tend to deliver (see my review on the Monaco Hotel in San Francisco). The hotel is a classic Kimpton establishment, decorated in darker shades of earthy colors, with standard size guest rooms and bathrooms. As most Kimpton properties, they tend to keep their rooms rather poorly lit, creating a very soothing and relaxing atmosphere, as compared to most supermodern hotels with wall to wall windows and office-like rooms.

My bed was wonderful, the linens were great and the overall quality of sleep was exceptional due to the lack of any noise at all.

Several additional remarks. Valet parking is free for low emission vehicles. They allow dogs (extra fee). Most taxi drivers do not know this hotel implying that this jewel is REALLY well hidden.

Overall, I strongly recommend this hotel. The value it delivers for the money is exceptional.

• Stayed December 2004, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
East Greenbush, New York
Reviewed 16 October 2007

I have stayed at the Topaz a few times for business and it never dissapoints. I stayed there recently and it was another great stay, at an incredible rate of $116! The rooms are big and quiet for a city hotel and the beds are comfortable. Enjoy the pebbles!

• Liked — Rooms, very relaxing
  • Disliked — Dinning/Restaraunt
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank mkferg
Roseville, California
Reviewed 11 October 2007

We just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and have nothing but great things to say. We arrived at BWI very late at night and took a taxi to the hotel. Our taxi driver got lost and after a couple of calls to the hotel for directions, Leroy at the front desk told us to stay put and came to our rescue. He found us and led the taxi to our hotel, what awsome service! The hotel was in a great location, close to the metro and in walking distance to the White House and other sites depending on how much you want to walk. We booked a King Deluxe and the room was huge. We were on the 8th floor and was not bothered by street noise. We ate at the Tabbard Inn next door and would reccomend them too. We had a great trip and the only other advice is to bring your best walking shoes, you will need them!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I travel on business to Washington DC several times a month, but had previously overlooked the Topaz as a lodging choice. I won't make that mistake again. It is a charming, small, boutique-type hotel located on a relatively quiet Dupont Circle street. For me the proximity to the Dupont Circle Metro stop - and the easy accessibility to many exceptional restaurants - are real bonuses. Although there is no fitness center on site, the hotel has arranged for its guests to use the extraordinary multistory downtown YMCA (with a huge indoor pool) located just around the corner from the hotel for a nominal charge. Inquire at the hotel desk. I would caution guests to be aware that the hotel allows pets. Although it appears that certain rooms are designated for regular pet usage, I found that I had been initially placed into one of the "pet friendly" rooms. After complaining about the smell, I was immediately relocated to another room with no complaints or other charges. The staff couldn't have been nicer about it. I certainly plan to stay at the Topaz again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small Room Size
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank TexTraveler1
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2007

This hotel is in a great location just steps away from Dupont Circe metro. The check in staff were helpful and the rooms were massive. we has a twin room and this came with two very comfy double beds with great covers. The colour scheme is bright but not too over the top. The bathroom is small in comparison to the rest of the room but the shampoo is Aveda so I guess that can be forgiven!!

The room come with their own CD player and TV but to be honest I never had these on as there is so much to do in Washington I was never in the room long enough.

I loved Washington as a city and the staying in the Topaz only added to that

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank trav!!ler30
cpabob
Reviewed 21 September 2007

I stayed at roughly a dozen hotels in the DC area over the last two months due to business commitments. I limited my selections to 3 and 4 star hotels. Out of the dozen I would rate this hotel in the top five based primarily on the quality of the room. The room was perfect in both size and decor. A secondary reason is the location because it was near many attractions.

The only issue I had was with room service. Before going up to my room, I previewed a menu in the bar and saw a hamburger for $11.00 on the menu. When I got to my room I called room service and asked for that hamburger. The bill came to over $22.00. I was charged $14.00 instead of $11.00 "because it was room service". I was charged an additional $2.50 fee "because it was room service". On top of this I was automatically charged a 20% gratuity "because it was room service". When I complained I was told that "some hotels charge $5.00 for a bottle of water". When I said, "yeah but they put $5.00 on the menu so a customer can decide up front if they want to pay it before they order it and that's not the same as putting $11.00 on the menu and charging $23.00". My complaint fell on deaf ears with the front desk and the hotel manager. They acted like they couldn't understand what I was complaining about. However, when I subsequently called the 800 number for the Kimpton chain, they agreed with me that what was done was deceptive and they made the hotel knock $10.00 off the bill. The $10.00 isn't the issue, its the way they did it. Nice hotel but be careful.

Also, during my stay we took a walk through the neighborhood and noticed some undesirables bothering folks who parked on the street near the front of the hotel. They would direct the drivers to a vacant spot that the drivers would have seen anyhow, then once the drivers exited their cars, the drivers were prompted for a "tip" for the "help" that was provided to them in helping the drivers "find" a parking spot. Hotel staff watched while this was going on and apparently did nothing as it was going on when we left and still was going on when we returned over an hour later. I guess the hotel figures it will prompt more people to pay the hotel for valet parking (over $20.00 a night) rather than parking on the street for free.

• Liked — The decor of the room
  • Disliked — Room service
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank cpabob
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2007

We chose the Topaz after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. We arrived very late on a Sunday night and asked for a quiet room (following some of the comments we had read about lift noise). The room was very quite at night, although you do get the expected city noises fairly early in a morning. The room was very spacious (by British standards) and lovely and clean, but I agree with other reviews that the bathrooms are a little short of space. There was no view (we overlooked the hotels parking lot), but this didn't diminish the quality of the stay at all. The hotel staff were all pleasant and helpful - great recommendations for restaurants were provided (California Pizza House and the DuPont Grill in the Jury's Inn).
We didn't eat in the hotel, but the bar was reasonably priced (for a hotel). The decor of the hotel is a bit quirky, but very comfortable all the same (it reminded me of the film 'Beetleguese' for some reason...).
The hotel is a short walk from DuPont circle, but is also only 15-20 minutes walk to the Whitehouse / Mall area. It is slightly off the main areas and down a quiet street, but we didn't feel unsafe at all.
We will definitely use the Topaz when we go to Washington again!

Stayed August 2007