“Lovely large rooms”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney
“Lovely large rooms”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed here after 10 days in Canada and were so impressed with the size of the rooms. My husband and I were in a king room and we interconnected with our children. We had an amazing amount of room for us and all the luggage. The rooms had little nooks where you could easily keep stuff out of the way. The bathroom was small - but the dressing room outside made it perfectly fine. We had a package that for $1 we had breakfast - to be honest the breakfast was basic - cereal and toast - but for $1 extra - it was what you would expect. The location was perfect - we ate locally every night - and the kids loved the Pinkberry frozen yoghurt just down the road. The free hot chocolate in the afternoon was very welcome after a long cold day of sight seeing. The staff were all helpful, perhaps not 5 star out of this world - but for the price we paid - we were very impressed! We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear SydFam40,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor.com. After 10 days you’re officially a part of the Topaz family. So, I’m glad to hear that you were treated well. I’m glad the kids liked the hot chocolate. It was wildly popular throughout the holiday season. And, if the temperature continues to (brrrr) nose dive we may have to bring it back. Hopefully you’ll come by soon, too.

Donte Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I spent three days visiting Washington last November with my wife and son. We were very happy with the hotel, until the day we left. Having our flight to New York at 5.20 pm, we checked out of the room in the morning, left our luggage in storage at the front desk, to wander off to the city center for a last day of touring around. Before taking of however, I got my iPad out of one of the bags, to quickly download a newspaper I intended to read on the flight to New York. Having stored the iPad back in the bag, we returned the bag to the storage area. In the evening, when returning to the hotel, it turned out the iPad was missing from my bag. It took a long time and only after discussion with the hotel staff, I got a written statement of what happened (in fact, it took so long, I missed my flight to New York). And now, in the end, the hotel insurance writes me that they refuse my claim, since there is (according to them) no proof my iPad was in the possession of the hotel ...

How can I advise anyone to stay in this hotel after the trouble I went through? If the hotel staff is not willing to accept that probably one of their employees has stolen from a guest, then you should stay away from this place!!!

I can't remember how much we paid the hotel. I do remember however that this stay cost me an additional $ 1,251.05 (cost of the iPad, the flight to New York I missed, ...). THANK YOU FOR THAT.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ivan C
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Ivan C,

As you know, your feedback and concerns are important to us and a thorough investigation was administered immediately upon hearing your concern. We cooperated with our insurance company and the police department to find a resolution, however, they were not able to find any evidence that the hotel was liable for the loss of your iPad. We are truly sorry about the loss of your personal item, but please know we did everything we could to determine its whereabouts and attempt a resolution.

We understand that this may be frustrating and we’re very sorry for your trouble.

New York
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at the Topaz Hotel for three nights this past weekend and am wholeheartedly giving it a 5 star review. I picked the Topaz for a number of reasons: (1) Great location, (2) Reasonable price, including free valet parking for all hybrid vehicles, and (3) It is pet friendly. What I couldn't have expected was how friendly every member of the staff was. I will expand some of these topics.

Location - The hotel is in a very safe neighborhood just a couple blocks away from the many great restaurants, bars, and shops around Dupont circle. It is also two blocks from more fun places along the 17th street corridor. Though we didn't do much sight-seeing, it is very walkable to the White House and the monuments. And it's very close to the Dupont metro stop and many different bus lines. It's basically in the perfect spot. Oh, and if you're here on a weekend, definitely get brunch at the Tabard Inn next door, but make sure to make a reservation in advance!

Staff and Rooms - I cannot express how impressed I was by the staff at the Topaz. Each person we encountered - from the front desk clerks to the baggage/valet guy to the maids to the handyman - took the time to say hi, smile, and greet us. They were all so friendly and nice and helped make this a truly enjoyable experience. Additionally, I was surprised by how large the room was. We had a standard king room and it was so spacious, with a nook for the desk and another nook by the bathroom. Oh, I should also mention that if you have a hybrid (as we do), you get free valet parking during your stay. This is a huge value because parking in DC can be pretty steep.

Pet Friendly - I should qualify this by stating that I am not one of those people who must take their dog on vacation with them and in fact, this is the first hotel I have ever taken him to. However, I know that DC is a very walkable city and intended to bring the pup around the city with me. I had read that the Kimpton Hotel chain is pet-friendly, but I didn't realize exactly how friendly they are. They offered water and food bowls, a dog bed, and extra baggies upon check-in. They also accommodated my request to be at the end of the hall, so I could be as sheltered from other guests as possible. Every time I took the dog out for a walk, the staff came over to pet him and say hi. And on our return, they greeted us with a treat, which he loved. This is not simply a place where dogs are allowed - it's a hotel where (friendly and well-behaved) dogs are actually encouraged to stay. As a pet owner, I really appreciated this. I believe there are also pet-free floors for those who are allergic or who don't want to hear the occasional bark. And just in case you forgot any pet supplies, there are two pet stores within a short walking distance.

Again, I would like to thank the entire staff at the Topaz Hotel for making this a fantastic stay. We will certainly be staying here again when we travel back to DC and will make sure to seek out other Kimpton hotels in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jasonk77
Dear Jasonk77,

Thanks for the great recommendation! There’s little that we love more than 5 star online reviews. And yours is particularly flattering. Of everything mentioned, the thing that’s most gratifying is to read that you felt well taken care of by our folks throughout the hotel. We go out of our way to try to bring a little sunshine to each of our guests every day. And when our guests are enjoying themselves it makes our jobs that much easier. Thanks again for the stellar feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Oslo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The location of this hotel is really good – in a quiet street not too far away from the main attractions. The room was stylish. Unfortunately we did not find the beds very comfortable, as the mattresses were too hard.

1 Thank ferdn
newton,nj
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed at the Topaz over New Years weekend. As many have stated in previous reviews the hotel and the staff are wonderful. The hotel is small and very comfortable. Those looking for a large lobby and reception area should look elsewhere. The hotel is clean and well kept. The room (we had a double queen) was nicely appointed,small bathroom but very large vanity area. Bed and bedding were very comfortable. The staff can not be beat! You are made to feel at home from the moment you first walk through the door and everytime you return no matter what time it may be. A big thank you to Kelly S. who always went the extra mile. Also to Stephanie who was a big help after our flight was cancelled on Monday morning. Location can not be beat at tops a 7 minute walk to Dupont Circle and all that it offers as well as the Metro. Also on a quite street. The next time we return to the DC area the Topaz will be our home away from home. Nice job by Kimpton once again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear bpets,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your New Year’s Eve stay with us. We honestly look at New Year’s Eve as our Super Bowl. Our team worked really hard to ensure that everyone had an opportunity to enjoy a great time and comfortable stay. As you can see from previous reviews Kelly definitely a service superstar and it’s great (however not surprising) to hear that Stefani was accommodating during the last minute plan change. We’re happy to be your “home away from home” and look forward to your return.

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 31 December 2011

The Kimpton Topaz is a small hotel located just a few blocks from the Dupont Circle Red line Metro. The hotel is staffed by friendly and helpful people who not only aspire to make your stay comfortable but also make you feel welcome with frequent greetings and helpful advice. The area is safe with lots of eateries, bars, shops, etc. Also interesting to walk past the various embassies.

We found the rooms quiet and comfortable. The bathroom is a bit cramped but otherwise our stay was very pleasant. Housekeeping was efficient and unobtrusive.

Our rate included breakfast and valet parking which is a real money-saver as hotels in the area can charge upwards of $40/night for parking. The lobby is quite small and the Topaz bar does double-duty as a breakfast area. Again cramped but still functional. We enjoyed the complimentary wine reception in the evening (5:00 - 6:00 pm) and the flavored water dispenser in the lobby. The hotel is advertised as pet-friendly which was a concern for us since we are not dog-people, but the small pets were few and harmless to have around.

Overall - highly recommended for a D.C. stay.

Room Tip: Let the staff know if you have allergies or are traveling with pets
1 Thank Lewis W
Dear weinstk,

Thank you for the great review! We feature fun packaged deals that offer great value for guests who may be planning to utilize many of the services that are available at the hotel. The lobby and lounge are very cozy spaces and I think that’s a part of our charm. The hotel is small enough that we can wrap our arms around guests who are into that. And we’re big enough that the guests that aren’t into that can enjoy a hassle-free visit, as well. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Chesterfield, NJ
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We decided to visit DC during winter break and had a wonderful time staying at the Topaz. As others have said the service could not have been better and Kimpton seems to be constantly looking for ways to plus the experience at little or no cost to the customer. We LOVED the free valet parking for our hybrid car. The hotel's location is very good for DC right where you want to be for evening meals and shopping but very close to the daytime tourist locations. We will certainly want to visit this hotel again in the future

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are VERY quiet.
Dear Weismant,

Thanks for the review! The hybrid parking incentive is one of the many ways we try to support sustainable travel and we’re all about adding value and fun to the experience. We definitely hope you stop by the hotel again in the future.