“Great experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California, United States
“Great experience”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We were unhappy with our two-star hotel choice in DC and when we were walking back and saw the Kimpton sign decided to take a look. Kelly at the front desk was very nice and offered us a room for $30 a night less than the other terrible hotel! We jumped at it and moved our things immediately. We were really glad that we did because the room was twice as large and there was a bathtub to soak in instead of a small shower. The free wine bar every night is a wonderful feature as you can meet other guests and relax. We have stayed at many Kimton hotels and the Topaz is equally beautiful. It is in a great location close to Dupont Circle and I know we will stay there again.

1 Thank Richard N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here while accompanying my husband on business. Rooms are ok, and location good.
Breakfast not included (was last time) and to buy it is a rip off (use one of the many alternatives in the area). Our key had to be reset every night. Someone dropped chewing gum on the floor (2 places - disgusting), dirty towels were left in the room, body lotion not refilled. Big sign on door next to our room saying ice – door locked.
Valet parking as expensive as The Mayflower – and can we agree not same hotel standard. My husband who travels to DC on business regularly will not return, just not up to par.

4 Thank L A
Seattle
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I've had the chance to stay at three of the Kimpton properties in DC, the Monaco, Topaz and Palomar - the last two back to back this week. The Topaz has really friendly staff and a great location, but I had a series of small snags that took a bit of the shine off my experience.

First the pluses. This is a fairly small hotel with a "boutique" vibe. The staff really goes out if their way to be useful, friendly and engaging. It was impressive how they handled an irritated guest when I was waiting in the lobby. Bed was comfortable and room was large, if very odd shaped. I loved the fluffy towels. I always enjoy the usual Kimpton amenities for their members in the guest reward program (free wifi, wine/happy hour, etc.)

On the down side - poor TV reception (does anyone else look forward to HBO when on the road?), aircon not working properly, no tea restocking (when the tea/teapot is part of the "hotel's story"), no bathmat one day, missing wastebasket the next. The vent in the bathroom could stand to be dusted! Overall, it was rather odd, to be frank, and not my usual experience of Kimpton properties. And the staff tried hard to rectified it and I appreciated that.

I enjoyed a light dinner at the Moroccan themed bar. Good veggie options. Skip the buffet breakfast and go next door to the Tabard Inn or walk down to Connecticut ave for other options. While I love chocolate, m&ms and yogurt, sweet rolls and a bit of fruit does not bode well for a healthy start! ;-) (Hey, Topaz, add some hard boiled eggs and then you have a good proposition!) No green or herbal tea available. The little bar/restaurant area is pretty crowded when there is a group (like ours.)

I stayed my last night at the Palomar - while bigger, more bustling and thus a bit noisier I personally liked the rooms better. But as with all things, we have our personal preferences.

1 Thank choconancy
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 April 2012

very nice location, friendly staff, ok continental breakfast .... not a far walk from white house and smithsonian, and farragaut station. the receptionists are so awesoome!!! they really made us feel welcome and comfortable. rooms are nice and clean. will definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Sospel, France
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The effusive, corporate welcome can't smooth away the many inadequacies of this hotel. My room was poorly laid out badly designed. It was furnished in what passes for boutique eclectic style, chez Kimpton. At the Topaz, what this means in reality is hideous, clashing colors, and bizarre wallpaper – my room was decorated throughout with thick vertical lines - resembling prison bars. Hideous.

Perhaps it's a matter of taste, so leave aside the ugliness and cynicism of mass produced 'boutique decor'. But smashing my head into the heavy, low hanging (but every so trendy) lampshade over the desk, was not much fun. No coffee machine - even of the low rent variety, terrible housekeeping, with my room service tray ignored for 24 hours, having to phone down for towels because they weren’t replaced, and the general sense of disorganisation puts the carefully breezy welcome into a different perspective.

The room service menu is very limited and food quality mediocre. The self-service breakfast offering is basic and they watch you like hawks - charging separately for every item - rather tacky for a hotel in this range. And then to be presented with a breakfast bill where they leave a large gap for the client to add a tip - for serving yourself? Unacceptable.

The Topaz fails to convince as a boutique offering and is not value for money - even with the corporate rate. Luckily there are many better (and genuinely stylish) offerings in the neighborhood at much better rates.

1 Thank JeremyCondor
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Hello JeremyCondo,

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review. This was not very good experience and I apologize for that. Fortunately, we were able to get the ice machine repaired pretty quickly. We feature electric tea kettles in every room with complimentary tea bags and offer coffee makers upon request, which it appears we failed to communicate to you during your stay. The room service tray and ironing board were oversights on our part, which I will review with our team. Thanks again for sharing your experience. We’ll do much better in the future.

Donte
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Fantastic location- close to sites, restaurants, and bars in DC. Beautiful hotel and very clean. Would definitely recommend/return

• Stayed March 2012
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Mjt18,

Thanks for the great review! We appreciate your feedback and we hope to have you back again soon.

Donte Johnson
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Perhaps because I have had amazing stays at various Kimpton properties I was very excited about staying at a new Kimpton. The Topaz is located in Dupont Circle which is a great neighborhood. Walking distance to two separate metro stops - Dupont Circle and Farragaut North. Residential mixed in with the commercial so the neighborhood itself is lovely. The staff is friendly but forgetful and didn't follow through on items that were very important to me. My room wasn't ready for me to check-in until 6 PM. Hotel is a bit worn in terms of needing some painting, door jams fixed, etc. There was one plug in the room which made it difficult to try and charge my PC and phone. There are much better hotels in DC than this Kimpton.

Room Tip: Join the Intouch program