“Another amazing stay at a Kimpton hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Another amazing stay at a Kimpton hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I'm a big fan of the Kimpton hotels. Their funky, boutique-y feel is fun and you have to love a place with a free wine hour!

This was my first time at the Topaz; I went on my own for a city weekend and to see some friends. I brought my dog Libby, who was adored by the staff. Front desk supervisor Kelly, Mark and others made our stay wonderful. Everyone had a treat in their pocket, though fussy Lib wasn't always gracious about accepting them.

We had a great room (King) on the 4th floor, which seemed to have a number of other dogs staying. We heard the occasional bark, but nothing too intense. If you're traveling with your dog, the Kimpton chain should be your first choice. Other hotels say they allow dogs, but that's about it: they "allow" them. Most have hefty pet fees, rules about crating and other ominous warnings about excess charges for cleaning and the like. Kimpton does none of that nonsense. They are truly dog "friendly." Everyone at the Topaz smiled at her as she went by. And a few smiled at me. Kidding! The staff was outstanding. Whoever is doing their training is doing a stellar job.

As for location, it's a block from a Starbucks and beyond that is DuPont Circle. The only caveat with this hotel is the $41 + tax per night parking fee. It's valet and you do get in-and-out privileges, but this adds to the otherwise bargain rates they offer. I found a $119 a night rate on Priceline. You can beat the parking charge if you drive a hybrid, then it's free. Next time I'm renting a Prius!

Great stay! Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mary Beth K
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Hello Mary Beth,

Thanks for posting this awesome review! We love all of our guests including the four-legged ones. It's always fun when we get to meet our guests' pets.

Mark and Kelly are especially great and we're lucky to have them. We'd love to have you and Lib back sometime soon. Hopefully by then we'll have found some treats that she can get jazzed up about.

Thanks again for the recommendation. We truly appreciate it.

Donte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one Saturday night while having our first weekend away EVER since becoming parents. We loved it. The hotel was great. It's best advantages are its cool interior decor and location. Very cool interior -- loved our room (which was also spacious) and the look of the hotel. Location is great -- very central DC, close to metro stops/museums/sites/shops/restaurants, but not too noisy/bustling. (Although, in the afternoon when we checked in, there was extraordinarily loud music playing from a rooftop bar down the street that we could hear in our room -- but it stopped a couple hours later, and it's a city, so what can you do? At night, it was nice and quiet.) The service was great -- friendly, helpful. They provided us with some basic yoga equipment -- great! Wish I had that when I travel for business! The exercise channel on the TV wasn't working (we did talk to reception, who were surprised and didn't know how to fix it but tried to be helpful), so we just did our own workout, but I appreciated the equipment (and there's enough space in the room, too).
Also, we really liked the Topaz Bar. Great ambiance. And great bartender! My husband enjoyed his cocktail. I was bummed out that I couldn't drink, but the bartender made me a great mocktail -- looked and tasted like a real cocktail -- and he was really nice about it! Usually, I get such attitude from bartenders if I ask for a non-alcoholic drink. I really appreciated it, and it made a great start to our night out.
We used their valet parking -- expensive at $41 a night, but we were able to leave it for more than 24 hours, and the valet was good. It was worth it to have the convenience and not worry about security.
We didn't travel with our son, but it seemed like a family-friendly hotel.

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the recommending us to fellow travelers! Congratulations on becoming parents (and on getting away for the first time since). I'm glad we were able to help you guys unwind and explore our little corner of the city at the same time.

Thanks again for the feedback. We really appreciate it.

Redwood City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Everything was perfect - location (although a longish walk from the Metro in the heat with luggage), quiet street, but you could walk many places from there, from the White House to the bars on U street. Rooms were spacious, bright and comfie. All the staff were above and beyond in being helpful and friendly. Loved the bar, the free wine hour every day was needed after a tough day of sightseeing (plus the little apps). Kellie and Rick rocked that bar. Highly recommend staying here if your travels bring you to DC.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Hi lovingit_11!

Thanks for posting a review of Topaz. We appreciate you sharing your experience. Rick and Kellie do an awesome job of taking care of our guests every day in the lounge. So, it's great to see their names show up on here. We hope you can make it back soon.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is my first time staying at a Kimpton Hotel. The staff at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. She got me a Birthday month coupon after she saw my ID and recognized I am a Kimpton intouch member. I wasn't aware of that promotion and I am glad that she did that. Though the original price I would consider as a good value already. The room is spacious and clean. On-site restaurant has very excellent food. The location is very good. Great neighborhood and is close to DuPont circle, white house, shopping and dining places. Can't think of anything to complain.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Hello Madeline,

Thanks for the awesome review and for celebrating your birthday with us! It's great to read that you were well taken care of and that your stay was an enjoyable one. We hope to see you again next year, if not sooner.

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stayed for 4 nights recently while on a vacation in DC. Was very pleased with everything. Great location on a quiet street near the restaurants and shops of Dupont Circle and within walking distance of downtown attractions or taking the Metro. Used the valet parking and left the car parked for the whole time. Staff were all very friendly, front desk, valet, cleaning staff and all very and helpful. Room was nicely decorated, very quiet, great beds and pillows, quaint decor and very clean. Reasonable rates and well worth every penny. Would return for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Hello Dave,

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm glad you enjoyed your vacay and that our folks treated you well. It's great to hear that you'd return and we certainly hope you have a chance, at some point, to do so.

Thanks again,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

This was our first time staying with the Kimpton Group of Hotels and we were more than pleased. We recently went to Washington for a long weekend gettaway and chose the Topaz based on previous reviews. We arrived late on a Friday evening, and had booked to stay for 3 nights for our anniversary. Upon arriving to the small, but clean and trendy front desk, we were told that our room had been upgraded to congratulate our anniversary. The staff at the front desk were genuine and friendly and we felt very welcome. We opened our door to an enormous room, king sized bed, chocolate covered chocolates, a bottle of champagne and several bottle of beer chilling on ice! There was a hand written note welcoming us and wishing us a happy anniversary.

The reason this hotel really stood out is all in the details for us and I will describe only a few. Complementary umbrella in the room, 10$ "raid the mini bar" voucher for joining as an InTouch Member - which was free to do. There are several complementary items if you need them (tooth brushes, hair straighteners, all the way to sewing kits and razors) as well as several items that you can purchase for a small price , who needs CVS! There was a complementary wine hour from 5-6 each day in which you go to the bar and have a glass of wine on the house. After arriving back late one afternoon, wilted from the heat and exhausted we were THRILLED to see a table in the lobby with ice cold lemonade and iced tea - complementary of course!

There were too many of these fun surprises to list, but all in all the service in our three day stay was above and beyond what we expected. We will certainly be staying with Kimpton again in coming trips to Chicago and New York.

1 Thank Cara G
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Hi Cara,

I'm glad you enjoyed your first visit to Topaz and to Kimpton! It's great to read that our team took great care of you guys. Thanks for taking the time to post this awesome review! Visit again soon.

Harlem, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

My friends and I came down to DC for Howard's Homecoming (HU!) and my birthday and this hotel was awesome! They had very personable staff, the beds were SO comfy and they even gave me a fruit platter and small bottle of wine for my birthday. The location was perfect, we were able to hop on the metro right at dupont circle to travel to wherever we needed to go and there are a crap load of stores, bars and restaurants right in the area.

The only issue was parking since there are meters in use 6 days out of the week but that's nothing against the hotel, that's just DC, lol. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to DC.

Room Tip: They're all awesome- no worries!