“Nice find on Hotels.com!”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #79 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice find on Hotels.com!”
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

Very chic and posh, quaint little boutique hotel in Dupont Cir. Stayed with sister and parents...everyone enjoyed it. Dad didn't care for the club music in the lobby, but we all enjoyed free wine hour! Not ideal for walking to the essential DC sites, but perfect for walking to just about anything else (foodie places, boutique shopping etc) A cab will put you back $10-$15 one way to the National Mall. Regarding parking: just around the corner from the hotel is a garage that offers 'all day early bird' parking for $12. We put our car in there at 7:30am then took it out around 6:45 pm and parked it overnight in front of the hotel on the street for free. Otherwise, valet with Topaz was $45/day!!

• Stayed August 2012
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Hello h w,

Thanks for posting a review of The Topaz. I'm glad you had a chance to join us for Wine Hour. We find that a little vino really takes the edge that $45 overnight parking charge. I know it's a hefty ransom. But, when it comes to making sure your car receives the warm and caring service that you do at Topaz we think it's money well spent.

The good news is that there's discount parking for Hybrids. So, in this case, saving the planet will save you some cash.

Thanks again for the review.

Donte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Everything was an effort I booked through Hotwire and this was the hotel we received - we requested 2 rooms- our party were 3 adults and 2 teenagers. We arrived at 4 pm to find we were assigned 2 rooms with 1 king sized bed each. What?!? Can you believe my husband had to sleep in a bed with his 74 year old father and I (mom) had to sleep with my 6' 2" and my 5'7" daughter in the same bed! Someone call DYFS! The other option that was suggested at check in is that there was one double room available on a different floor OR after the first night we could pay $25 extra for a roll out bed.

The next morning we contacted the Mgr and Kelly who was a gem showed us 2 Queen rooms that we could move to. My husband and his Dad moved but it was too much of an effort to move myself and the kids so we stayed in the king room and my son moved to the couch. Unfortunately it was not the original intent that my husband and I expected to be separated but this was getting exhausting.

Btw the rooms vary greatly - the original 2 kings were hugely different in size which is why the reviews vary.

Also I read there was a $1.00 add on if you wanted the high carb breakfast buffet- but I was told at check in it was $14.95 - ridiculous since theres a Pinkberry breakfast yogurt shop half a block a way with Greek yogurt fruit and coffee as well as Starbucks
Okay if you want free Internet it's easy to sign up at the Kimpton rewards program but I didnt receive a notice of a $10 honor bar credit that another reviewer mentioned.

The free wine and appetizers do not compare to the Hilton Homewoods resort - Kimpton is more of a tasting- but true to the other reviews Rick is a great bartender.

I was also surprised that there was no coffee machine in the room- I asked about it after checkin and I was told the theme was serenity and theres a hot water kettle and herbal tea in the room- WELL AT THIS POINT IM NOT SERENE AND GETTING EXTREMELY STRESSED OUT AND I WOULD LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE IN MY ROOM LIKE EVERY OTHER HOTEL IN THE US WITHOUT HAVING TO GO DOWN TO THE LOBBY IN MY PJS AND NO MAKEUP AND HORRIFYING THE REST OF THE GUESTS!

Very shortly I was sent up a Kuerig machine - whew

I had to ask for towel service for the third person in my room- in all I felt like I had to ask for A LOT. There was not a lot attention to the basics here but a lot of attention to the fluff- and the yoga hype? I guess you can somehow request a DVD but there isn't room in the room to work out.

Btw - check my other review on trip advisor - this is the first time I ever made a negative review on any site- Maybe it was Hotwire ( won't use them again for a hotel) and Kimpton? IDK -maybe if I had a dog..

Btw - we used on the street parking - paid the meter and maybe we were lucky? No ticket - no 42.00 fee- 3 nights!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Hello Francescakes,

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review. I'm sorry about the confusion with your room request. I wish we would've known the size of your party. But, this wasn't noted when we recieved the booking from Hotwire. I'm glad we were able to get you into a more comfortable room for the remainder of your stay.
We do have a special offer which includes breakfast for a dollar and it is available through our website or our reservations office. However, almost all of our packages and promotions would need to be booked when the reservation is made. However any guest may request a coffee maker and complimentary coffee at any time during their stay and we'll gladly send them right up. Regarding the Yoga, we do have a 24 hour Yoga channel featured in every room I can see how it could be tough to carve out time and space to practice when travelling with the family.

Thanks again for the feedback about your experience with us.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This DuPont Circle hotel offers a quiet location near everything DuPont and the Golden Triangle. The property was once an apartment so the rooms are large, it not sometimes oddly shaped. The property has a nice little "restaurant" that offers great drinks.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Hi BWatDC,

Thanks for staying at Topaz and for recommending us! We appreciate the feedback and hope you stop by again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

This hotel is just average. It was recommended because of it's location in DuPont Circle. When we arrived, they put us in an ADA room. I'm not sure why. Maybe because we booked through a third party. Then, they use pump bottles in the shower and the soap was empty. The following day, we asked for a bar of soap (should you have to ask for soap?) They brought us 2 bars which housekeeping took away the next morning and never filled the pump bottles. The room was clean but there were really no amenaties that we were interested in. There were no drawers for your clothes we used our luggage all week. The Wine bar was terribly expensive. They offer a wine bar social every evening but it was too early (5:00 - 6:00). It was a three block walk to the Metro so we could travel quite easily, but there were plenty of other hotels in the area. No pool, no Breakfast included. They should take advantage of the historic building and make the rooms more "Bed & Breakfast" like instead of the dated 1990's decor.

Room Tip: Find another hotel nearby.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello AllenB157,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's tough to read that your soap wasn't replenished and that your room wasn't appropriate for your needs. I have reviewed your experience with our team. We'll be better moving forward. Thank you for helping us improve.

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting DC. It is conveniently located near Dupont Circle with easy access to the metro. Nice quiet neighborhood. THe staffs are really polite and helpful. Room is clean and I love the decor.

Make sure you sign up for Kimpton In Touch program and you will get free Wifi during your stay and a $10 coupon for the minibar (good for about 2 drinks, prices are very reasonable!) Excellent value for the price! Now becoming a fan of Kimpton hotels:)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank richardcjy
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Hello Richard,

Thanks for posting a review! It's great to hear that you're becoming a Kimpton fan and that's great advice about signing up for Kimpton InTouch. If you're staying at one of our hotels you may as well "Raid the Minibar" and enjoy free WiFi.

Thanks again,

raleigh, nc
Reviewed 16 August 2012

from location to staff to decor to room size, it pays to stay at a Kimpton, especially this one!!! We were greeted by the front desk with smiles, they acknowledged my 5 year old son and even gave him a little kid packet with cards, coloring stuff, etc. The bellboy was wonderful and knowledgeable and the room was fabulous. It was spacious, with a separate vanity/dressing area outside the bathroom and a nice little office area tucked around the corner so hubby could be up later working if necessary and would not interrupt our sleep. The decor was cool and colorful. The location was perfect. Easy walking distance to local restaurants, Starbucks, Dupont Circle, Metro and close enough to walk to museums, White House, etc. The bartender, Rick, is fabulous and goes out of the way to be sure your glass is full and you are having fun!!!! Too much fun!!!! Happy hour is great here too. Loved our stay and will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mommy2brady
Hi Mommy2Brady,

Thanks for posting this fantastic review! We truly appreciate the feedback. Rick is very passionate about his work and it definitely shows. He's always happy to hear that our guests enjoy spending time with him in the bar. I hope you and the little one make it back this way soon.

Thanks again,

San Jose, CA
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Wonderful two-night stay at the Topaz for my husband and me while visiting relatives. Service was excellent and friendly. They helped us with early check-in after red eye flight and with airport transportation on the way home. The room decor is chic and contemporary which we really liked. You can't get a better location than Dupont Circle area -- nice neighborhood, good food, easy Metro access, plenty to see nearby. The price was very reasonable for a big-city hotel. It was my second stay at a Kimpton, and I'm very impressed with their unique properties and customer orientation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi onthego_sj,

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that you're becoming a fan of our hotels. I hope you can make it back to our Nation's Capital soon. We'd love to have you guys come back for a visit.