“Nice boutique hotel”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #78 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This the second Kimpton hotel I've stayed at in DC, the other being the Monaco. The room at the Topaz was clean and quite a bit more spacious than the rooms I've had at the Monaco. Kimpton has a free wine bar at happy hour and you can also get free WiFi just for signing up or their loyalty program. My only gripe is that my stay was being paid by a third party yet the hotel billed my credit card, too. Moreover, it tried to charge me for using the mini-bar, which I did not.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank likeeat
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear likeeat,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our Wine Hour as well as the perks of our Kimpton In Touch program.

I apologize for the billing miscues and the additional charge for the mini-bar. I will look into those issues for you. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us overall.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel, on N Street between 17th and 18th, was in the heart of DuPont Circle with numerous restaurants in walking distance. It was also a short walk to the White House and the Washington Monument. The room was spacious and well maintained. The evening wine reception offered a nice selection of wines and the staff was vey accommodating. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Matt H,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the wine hour and found the location to be so convenient in getting around the city.

We look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Wonderful location Great service. Nice breakfast, rooms large and comfortable. Would stay here again. Paula at the front desk so helpful! Rooms are modern. Good bathroom and dressing area
Easy to get to restaurants and metro stops to Capitol attractions.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lauren T,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really glad you enjoyed your stay so much and got to enjoy our breakfast as well. I will personally thank Paula for taking such great care of you also, she really is a great young lady. I am also happy to hear that you found the hotel to be in such a convenient location.

We look forward to having you back with us again! Have a wonderful week.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

once again another great kimpton experience. Stand-out front desk, on last 3 days of the shutdown ( upgrade much appreciated) with excellent food recommendations ( Bistro du Coin, Hank's Oysters were stars). Was lucky to get one of the larger rooms with day-bed and exercise bike. Bicycle theme continued with the COMPLIMENTARY first come first served bicycles which I used to commute to my meetings. Hotel is a little older than many kimptons but it's not shabby and it's got enough quirky to compensate. loved it !

Room Tip: 306 was a nice large room @ rear of hotel, no elevator noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank tjadolan

Dear tjadolan,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz! Looks like we just kept on giving you bikes, first in your room then to get around town on. Lucky for us you are a biker. I am really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and the team took such good care of you. Looks like we all survived the shutdown and we hope you will come back and see us again soon. Maybe if its in the winter we can hook you up with some cross country skis to get around.

All kidding aside, thanks again for sharing how great of a time you had and I hope you have a fantastic week.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The value was accentuated by a special AAA $1.00 breakfast, an included evening wine bar and a wonderfully large and tastefully decorated room. The customer service was outstanding and clearly a priority at this hotel. The location near Dupont Circle and the metro was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank servins
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear servins,

Thank you for your amazing review. I am really happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of the $1.00 breakfast promo and our nightly wine hour.

We can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at the Topaz for a weekend with our children and loved it. Everything is within walking distance or bus route. It is on a charming, quiet street. The staff was fantastic in handling all of our needs. The room was very clean and spacious. If you prefer to be in a quiet location and don't have a need for all of amenities of the full-service hotels, this is the place for you. Great for travelers on business or with families. We will stay here again when we pass through town.

Room Tip: Our room was a front corner room and was very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LynnM985

Dear Lynn M,

Thank you for your great review of your family's visit to the Topaz. I am really happy to hear how much you enjoyed the location and how well the team took care of you all.

We can't wait to have you come see us again!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

The Topaz was recommended to me for a business trip to DC. It seemed reasonably priced and a short walk from where I had my meetings. It turned out to have been a great recommendation and I am now a fan. My room was really old fashioned with a little dressing room leading onto the bathroom and with old-school light switches etc. that said it was spotless with a comfy bed and fast Wifi.
The continual breakfast was fresh and tempting but a bit short on choice, mainly pastries and cereal and none of the European selection of cold meats and cheeses that I am used to when travelling in Europe.
It has a lovely bar and friendly staff.
A downside is that it lacks some of the amenities of bigger and newer business hotels such as a gym or swimming pool, but if you can live without those it is a great choice for central DC

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JonathanRosenthal
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear JonathanRosenthal,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us! I am happy to hear that you took your friends suggestion and are now such a fan. I am glad that you enjoyed your guest room and the location worked out so well for you.

We do have a relationship with the local YMCA, so please take advantage of that on your next visit as that serves as our fitness center.

We look forward to seeing you again with us.