“Utterly Charming!”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #77 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is the third Kimpton property we've stayed in and, while some areas weren't quite as luxurious as the others (Palomar in DC & Lorien in Alexandria, VA), the service here outshone both of those.

After our reservation, we had received an email from Ryan Cimei (the hotel's general manager) asking whether we were traveling for any special occasion, to which I replied that we were celebrating our anniversary as well as my husband's safe return from deployment. Assuming this was an automatically generated email, I expected perhaps a "happy anniversary" greeting, but nothing beyond that. Imagine our surprise upon check-in to receive a beautiful dessert plate with chocolate chip cookies, a flourless chocolate cake, sliced strawberries, and a bottle of sparkling wine! Best of all, there was a wonderfully personalized handwritten note from the staff which will serve as a permanent memento of our anniversary celebration.

The room itself was so unique, with multiple seating areas, nooks & crannies. Extremely large by DC standards, and with thoughtful touches that set the Kimpton properties apart from others.

Great location within easy walking distance to Dupont Circle, Farragut North & Farragut West Metro stations, as well as multiple shopping, dining & nightlife destinations.

For us, what sets this particular Kimpton property apart from others both within the chain & elsewhere, was the personal service. From the initial contact with the hotel, to the front desk staff, bartenders, housekeeping, everyone was wonderful. They all appeared to genuinely enjoy their jobs and one another. So refreshing, and it really made all the difference. We will definitely seek out the Topaz on our next visit to the city.

Thank you, Ryan & staff, for making this such a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovethosemiles
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear wheres_my_calgon,

What can I say?! Thank you so much for posting such an amazing review from your recent stay. I am so happy that you guys had such a great time and the team took such amazing care of you.

We hope to see you for every anniversary coming up over and over and celebrate with you.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Excellent front counter staff. When we arrived they were having troubles with the computer system, but clearly communicated with us and provided us with a free breakfast voucher. The room was spacious and decorated nicely. The hotel was well located, close to local shopping facilities and restaurants and hop on hop off tourist buses. I would recommend this hotel to my friends/family.

The only reservation I have about this hotel was the standard of cleanliness. Whilst on the whole it was good, I noticed some lollies on the floor between the bed and the bed side table, from the previous guests.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane707
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Jane707,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and found the staff to be so kind and service oriented.

I do apologize about the small clealiness items in your room. Thank you for letting me know.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This the second Kimpton hotel I've stayed at in DC, the other being the Monaco. The room at the Topaz was clean and quite a bit more spacious than the rooms I've had at the Monaco. Kimpton has a free wine bar at happy hour and you can also get free WiFi just for signing up or their loyalty program. My only gripe is that my stay was being paid by a third party yet the hotel billed my credit card, too. Moreover, it tried to charge me for using the mini-bar, which I did not.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank likeeat

Dear likeeat,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our Wine Hour as well as the perks of our Kimpton In Touch program.

I apologize for the billing miscues and the additional charge for the mini-bar. I will look into those issues for you. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us overall.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel, on N Street between 17th and 18th, was in the heart of DuPont Circle with numerous restaurants in walking distance. It was also a short walk to the White House and the Washington Monument. The room was spacious and well maintained. The evening wine reception offered a nice selection of wines and the staff was vey accommodating. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Matt H,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the wine hour and found the location to be so convenient in getting around the city.

We look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Wonderful location Great service. Nice breakfast, rooms large and comfortable. Would stay here again. Paula at the front desk so helpful! Rooms are modern. Good bathroom and dressing area
Easy to get to restaurants and metro stops to Capitol attractions.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lauren T,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really glad you enjoyed your stay so much and got to enjoy our breakfast as well. I will personally thank Paula for taking such great care of you also, she really is a great young lady. I am also happy to hear that you found the hotel to be in such a convenient location.

We look forward to having you back with us again! Have a wonderful week.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

once again another great kimpton experience. Stand-out front desk, on last 3 days of the shutdown ( upgrade much appreciated) with excellent food recommendations ( Bistro du Coin, Hank's Oysters were stars). Was lucky to get one of the larger rooms with day-bed and exercise bike. Bicycle theme continued with the COMPLIMENTARY first come first served bicycles which I used to commute to my meetings. Hotel is a little older than many kimptons but it's not shabby and it's got enough quirky to compensate. loved it !

Room Tip: 306 was a nice large room @ rear of hotel, no elevator noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank tjadolan

Dear tjadolan,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz! Looks like we just kept on giving you bikes, first in your room then to get around town on. Lucky for us you are a biker. I am really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and the team took such good care of you. Looks like we all survived the shutdown and we hope you will come back and see us again soon. Maybe if its in the winter we can hook you up with some cross country skis to get around.

All kidding aside, thanks again for sharing how great of a time you had and I hope you have a fantastic week.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The value was accentuated by a special AAA $1.00 breakfast, an included evening wine bar and a wonderfully large and tastefully decorated room. The customer service was outstanding and clearly a priority at this hotel. The location near Dupont Circle and the metro was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank servins
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear servins,

Thank you for your amazing review. I am really happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of the $1.00 breakfast promo and our nightly wine hour.

We can't wait to have you back!