“the best in DC”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #81 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We've stayed in many Kimptons in DC for many visits: Palomar, Madera, and Topaz. We love the style and service of all the Kimptons but the Topaz is our favorite. We usually get the best rate here. We ask for a higher floor on the street side to get a great view. The rooms are large and the staff is the friendliest of all the DC Kimptons we've been too. It does not have a fitness room but we prefer using the complimentary YMCA a block away as it has so much more to offer than any hotel fitness room. Location is great and we most recently dined at the newly opened Iron Gate Inn across the street and loved it. We were not really fans of the Hotel Tabard restaurant nearby-dined there twice and have not tried the Topaz restaurant. Love the cucumber water dispenser and wine hour served in lobbies of all Kimptons.
I accidentally swimming pool and kids activities which they don't have but could not get it to deselect on my ipad.

Room Tip: higher floor on street side for great view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear famtravs,

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your stay at Topaz! I am so happy that you enjoyed the property and the location so much. We are excited to have the Iron Gate so close and available for our guests as well.

I am so happy to hear you enjoy the wine hour and fruit water as well. We hope that you will come see us again on your next trip to DC.

Ryan Cimei

Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Topaz is a quirky, well-located option in DC. It's personal flourishes make it eccentric rather than classy. People seeking traditional luxury would be better off looking at the Hyatts or Hiltons. Topaz is the kind of place that offers leopard-print bath robes, indigo walls, feather-lined mirrors and cucumber laced water coolers. The building itself is a bit dingy, but the loud decor disguises the fact. The rooms are also a little worn out, well kept, but musty rather than smelling like fresh linen (as they do at some of the more high-end hotels). The rooms are, however, very spacious - mine had a separate dressing room, adequate bathroom and mini bar stocked with regular items as well as Luna Bars and snacks. The bright violet/blue decor and can have a funhouse effect. Beds are comfortable, and the room service food is prompt and quite tasty. I stayed about 10 days on a work trip, and once you're used to the quirks, its quite a comfortable place, only a short walk from Dupont Circle.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank N S

Dear N S,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I appreciate you taking the time. I am happy to hear once you settled in that you enjoyed your stay and the location worked out so well for your long visit.

We hope to have you back to see us again.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

The Topaz is a little boutique hotel a short distance from Dupont Circle which is a safe and very conveinent location. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the metro. There are many great places to eat within walking distance.
Pros: comfortable bed, great service, free use of the YMCA located just around the corner, relatively clean.
Cons: needs some repairs. In my room the wall paper was coming off the wall in the bathroom, the chalking around the bathtub was coming off, the bathroom had a bad odor, and the carpet had some stains. (I would have asked to change rooms but I had a busy schedule and it was too much of a hassle.) There is valet parking only.

Overall, the hotel was good. If the repairs are made I'd reccomend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tgdow

Dear tgdow,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Topaz. I am glad that the location and and the service worked out so well for you. I very much appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the issues in your guest room, we of course took care of them right away.

We hope you will come see us again on your next trip to DC.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Great place to stay. Very clean and quiet. Service was impeccable. Everyone always had a smile to greet you. The only thing was that the gym is located around the block; however, location is awesome for walking or jogging in safe area. I found it to be centrally located since everything was at a reasonable walking distance to get in some shopping for just about anything, dining including delivery to the hotel as well visiting important attractions such as the Washington Monument. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear MGM305,

Thank you so much for your outstanding review of your stay with us at the Topaz. You were so wonderfully kind in your words and I really cannot thank you enough.

I am delighted to hear how much of a great experience you had with us and how well you enjoyed the location and the property and team.

We really look forward to having you come see us again so we can do it all over for you.

Happy New Year,

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Accompanied husband on biz trip and this Kimpton Hotel is less than a block from his meeting, so this is why we stayed here.
Here's why I thought this hotel came up short: HDTV but no HD service, hot water pot & tea but no coffee (Starbucks nearby), requested papers not deliver as
Romped, except last day of 5, mattress sounded like it was wrapped in plastic, so noisy when sleeping, tiny bathroom and not grab bar in shower/tub, soap dispensers in shower didn't really dispense well, and you must negotiate 2 steps to access the elevators.
Otherwise, was fine. Over $200 per night.

Room Tip: Can't think of anything to help.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MegamomSeattle
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear MegamomSeattle,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed you did not have a better experience and we fell short of your expectations. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback as it does appear we had some service gaps that we can work on.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Thank you again.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I planned to stay several nights at this hotel, to unwind after my European trip. I was unpleasantly surprised by how old the whole building is. All they did to try to make this place sellable is glue new wall paper and give a fresh coat of paint. Everything looks very shabby and dingy. The lobby area is extremely small and the bar area is very dark and shabby with questionable breakfast. Very dissappointed and would not recommend for a stay. I moved out after one night to a different hotel as the place was just too depressing and unpleasant to stay in for several nights. Not sure why it has good reviews on tripadvisor. Usually tripadvisor is reliable for reviews but not in this case.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank AnnaK1275
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear AnnaK1275,

I am really sorry to hear about the poor experience that you had with us. I am sorry that the facilities and the breakfast were not to your liking and you felt the hotel was subpar. I assure you more than a coat of paint was put on the hotel to make it sellable. We pride ourselves in being a top hotel destination here in DC the delivers excellent service and accommodations in a prime location which is why our other travelers rate us so high. I am really sorry that you did not feel that way and enjoy your visit.

I hope that your next hotel was more to your liking and you got to enjoy DC during your visit and unwind while you were here after your European travels.

Wishing you a Happy Holiday.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

It is in the heart of DuPont Circle with many great dining places nearby.
The location is everything, as you can walk to the nearby attractions of Washington Monument and the White House.
Great staff, very clean spacious rooms. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Fiona F,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so glad that the location worked out so well for you and you enjoyed your guest room and our team.

We hope to see you with us again soon. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!