“I was blown away.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I was blown away.”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here the night before my wedding, and I'm currently on my honeymoon to the Omni Grove Park Inn in Asheville, wishing that my husband and I had returned instead to the Topaz.

The Topaz went above and beyond to make me feel special - the staff handwrote a note congratulating me on my nuptials, delivered a complimentary cheese plate and champagne bottle, and comped both a room upgrade and parking. Honestly, I was stunned by how wonderful they were.

We use Kimptons all the time when we travel, and while the Topaz met all our (high) expectations that we have for Kimptons, it also went above and beyond. I'm thrilled that we directed our wedding guests here, and I will be recommending it highly and enthusiastically whenever friends return to town.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Kenlyn M,

Thank you for your absolutley amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear how well the team knocked it out for you on your special day. Congratulations on your wedding! We hope you come see us again on your anniversaries.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Ryan Cimei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Hotel is tucked away on a relatively quiet one way street. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful during check in and check out. The room was spacious, clean, the shower was hot and the bed was very comfortable. Good view of the street from the large windows. I like how the hotel is not as big, fancy and high traffic as other hotels in DC. The $50 valet/overnight seemed quite steep compared to other hotels in the area who offered a lower price. Wifi worked great in the room as well. Rooms come with an umbrella which definitely came in use during my trip!

Didn't utilize the bar or breakfast so I can't comment on those.

Price was great as well, would return on the next trip to DC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear h3rbie,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Topaz. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the boutique feel of the property and found the rooms and staff so much to your liking.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again on future travels to DC, which hopefully will not require as much usage of the umbrella so you get to see the sun.

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We've stayed in many Kimptons in DC for many visits: Palomar, Madera, and Topaz. We love the style and service of all the Kimptons but the Topaz is our favorite. We usually get the best rate here. We ask for a higher floor on the street side to get a great view. The rooms are large and the staff is the friendliest of all the DC Kimptons we've been too. It does not have a fitness room but we prefer using the complimentary YMCA a block away as it has so much more to offer than any hotel fitness room. Location is great and we most recently dined at the newly opened Iron Gate Inn across the street and loved it. We were not really fans of the Hotel Tabard restaurant nearby-dined there twice and have not tried the Topaz restaurant. Love the cucumber water dispenser and wine hour served in lobbies of all Kimptons.
I accidentally swimming pool and kids activities which they don't have but could not get it to deselect on my ipad.

Room Tip: higher floor on street side for great view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear famtravs,

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your stay at Topaz! I am so happy that you enjoyed the property and the location so much. We are excited to have the Iron Gate so close and available for our guests as well.

I am so happy to hear you enjoy the wine hour and fruit water as well. We hope that you will come see us again on your next trip to DC.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Topaz is a quirky, well-located option in DC. It's personal flourishes make it eccentric rather than classy. People seeking traditional luxury would be better off looking at the Hyatts or Hiltons. Topaz is the kind of place that offers leopard-print bath robes, indigo walls, feather-lined mirrors and cucumber laced water coolers. The building itself is a bit dingy, but the loud decor disguises the fact. The rooms are also a little worn out, well kept, but musty rather than smelling like fresh linen (as they do at some of the more high-end hotels). The rooms are, however, very spacious - mine had a separate dressing room, adequate bathroom and mini bar stocked with regular items as well as Luna Bars and snacks. The bright violet/blue decor and can have a funhouse effect. Beds are comfortable, and the room service food is prompt and quite tasty. I stayed about 10 days on a work trip, and once you're used to the quirks, its quite a comfortable place, only a short walk from Dupont Circle.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank N S
Dear N S,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I appreciate you taking the time. I am happy to hear once you settled in that you enjoyed your stay and the location worked out so well for your long visit.

We hope to have you back to see us again.

arizona
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The Topaz is a little boutique hotel a short distance from Dupont Circle which is a safe and very conveinent location. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the metro. There are many great places to eat within walking distance.
Pros: comfortable bed, great service, free use of the YMCA located just around the corner, relatively clean.
Cons: needs some repairs. In my room the wall paper was coming off the wall in the bathroom, the chalking around the bathtub was coming off, the bathroom had a bad odor, and the carpet had some stains. (I would have asked to change rooms but I had a busy schedule and it was too much of a hassle.) There is valet parking only.

Overall, the hotel was good. If the repairs are made I'd reccomend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tgdow
Dear tgdow,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Topaz. I am glad that the location and and the service worked out so well for you. I very much appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the issues in your guest room, we of course took care of them right away.

We hope you will come see us again on your next trip to DC.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Great place to stay. Very clean and quiet. Service was impeccable. Everyone always had a smile to greet you. The only thing was that the gym is located around the block; however, location is awesome for walking or jogging in safe area. I found it to be centrally located since everything was at a reasonable walking distance to get in some shopping for just about anything, dining including delivery to the hotel as well visiting important attractions such as the Washington Monument. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear MGM305,

Thank you so much for your outstanding review of your stay with us at the Topaz. You were so wonderfully kind in your words and I really cannot thank you enough.

I am delighted to hear how much of a great experience you had with us and how well you enjoyed the location and the property and team.

We really look forward to having you come see us again so we can do it all over for you.

Happy New Year,
Seattle
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Accompanied husband on biz trip and this Kimpton Hotel is less than a block from his meeting, so this is why we stayed here.
Here's why I thought this hotel came up short: HDTV but no HD service, hot water pot & tea but no coffee (Starbucks nearby), requested papers not deliver as
Romped, except last day of 5, mattress sounded like it was wrapped in plastic, so noisy when sleeping, tiny bathroom and not grab bar in shower/tub, soap dispensers in shower didn't really dispense well, and you must negotiate 2 steps to access the elevators.
Otherwise, was fine. Over $200 per night.

Room Tip: Can't think of anything to help.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MegamomSeattle
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear MegamomSeattle,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed you did not have a better experience and we fell short of your expectations. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback as it does appear we had some service gaps that we can work on.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Thank you again.

Cheers,