“Wonderful weekend getaway!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“Wonderful weekend getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed at the Topaz for a quick two-night weekend getaway, and it was just what the doctor ordered. I requested a room on an upper floor and was delighted to discover my 9th floor room was palatial with a big bank of windows. Perfect! Plus, the bed was super comfortable, as was the couch for lounging. I especially liked the small dressing room off the bath and the office area by the windows. Better than the room, though, were the Topaz staff members, who all smiled and smiled and smiled. The weekend was rainy, so the icing on the Topaz cake was finding an umbrella in my room's closet! What a great idea! The Topaz continues my string of good stays at Kimpton Hotels.

Room Tip: I really liked the view over the rooftops from my upper-floor room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Sprocketella,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you had such a great experience and enjoyed your guest room so much. I am also delighted that the staff took such good care of you as well.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to DC. Hopefully it is not as rainy....

Thanks again,
Ryan Cimei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Fresno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Went on a 6 days girls trip to DC to do a combination of business and sightseeing and this hotel was an excellent value, had friendly staff, nice amenities like good shampoo and conditioner. The hotel is in a remodeled old building just off the heart of a happening stretch of Connecticut Ave with nightlight, cafes, excellent bookstores (Kramerbooks!) and yes, conveniently next to a Starbucks. Our room was kept well by the staff, we felt very safe walking around the area at night, and it was an easy walk from the metro station. Sign up for their rewards program: we were sent several fruit plates, bottles of wine, and a $10 credit to the mini bar. Found a black Friday steal for several nights off our stay and the money we saved was worth not staying in the heart of the national mall/smithsonian areas (the hotel's area: Dupont Circle is only 2-3 metro stops from that area). Note: this hotel does not have a pool, although they apparently contract with a nearby healthclub. We had no time to use it an

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Margaret L
Dear Margaret L,

Thank you for your great review of your girls trip stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you found the building so charming and the location worked out so well for you.

I am also very excited to hear that you enjoyed the perks of the Kimpton In Touch program so much and were able to find such a good value for your trip.

We hope you will come see us again soon.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed at the Topaz during the record breaking cold last week that affected most of the nation. The hotel personnel are kind and friendly and brought a little bit of sunshine into the cold, dreary days. The room I had was very spacious and was laid out perfectly. I was most impressed with how nice and warm my room was. With temperatures at 2 degrees outside, I typically put my thermostat on about 80 since I am cold all the time. My room at the Topaz was toasty warm at 72. Everyone from the room service attendants, to the maids, are ready with a smile and a kind word. Paula at the front desk is a gem, she will give you a smile and a greeting that will make you feel like you made her day just by coming to the front desk. If you go to the bar area, see Rick and ask him for the amazing Pear drink he serves. Before you leave, he will make you feel like you've been friends for years. The other most important thing, was that the hotel was always quiet outside my door. I need quiet to sleep so it was wonderful not to hear people talking or making noise at 2 am. Also, be sure to try the food. You will find it is so fantastic that you won't need to go anywhere else for dinner. With all the hotels to choose from in DC, this will be the one you want to pick.

Room Tip: Room 808 was the one I stayed it. I would ask for it again.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lorrie H
Dear Lorrie H,

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for sharing this. I am so happy to hear that Paula and the team took such good care of you and you had a nice time with us, despite the record cold.

I am also really happy to hear that the food and the room worked out so well for you and you enjoyed them as well. We look forward to having you back (when its warmer).

Have a great week.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Topaz for 3 nights durning the polar deep freeze that put most of DC in a bad mood. Fortunately, the folks at the Topaz were of good cheer and really went above and beyond the call of duty to help make me comfortable. They were diligent about hunting down cabs when everyone in the district was scrambling for a warm ride. The room was comfortable, quiet and unusually large. The breakfast buffet offers a variety of healthy, tasty options quickly. I'll be back soon.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Seattlekat1
Dear Seattlekat1,

Thank you for your great review of your chilly stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that the team took such good care of you during your stay and were so helpful.

You will have to come sometime when the weather is warmer and enjoy all of the great outside attractions DC has to offer.

We hope to see you soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We love the Kimpton hotel chain and the Topaz did not let us down. We have stayed at four Kimpton's in DC and liked them all, but the Topaz has been our favorite so far. It is in a good location close to Dupont Circle and public transportation, but still within walking distance to many sites. The hotel itself is really nice with a great lobby for the complimentary wine hour. The staff is always very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a king room and it was huge. The bathroom was nice and had it's own dressing room. The room was big enough to have it's own sitting area with a couch and a small nook for the desk. Our view was lovely overlooking the quaint street with historic buildings and restaurants. I would definitely recommend the Topaz to anyone visiting DC.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the street for a great view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moonjelly
Dear moonjelly,

Thank you so much for your kind words! It is awesome to hear that we are your favorite hotel in DC. I am super happy to hear that the location worked out so well for you and you enjoyed the property and the staff so much.

We look foward to having you back with us again soon!

Thanks again,
Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Excellent Stay at the Topaz over New Years Eve. The front staff are friendly and professional. The hotel is quaint, in a nice walkable neighborhood of NW DC. The hotel was very accommodating for our family and mid-sized dog. We will definitely return to a Kimpton Hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Oneslimchick,

Thank you for such an awesome review of your stay at Topaz. I am really happy to hear how much fun you had with us and how well it all worked out for you and your family (plus dog). We hope to see you again next NYE, if not sooner.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here the night before my wedding, and I'm currently on my honeymoon to the Omni Grove Park Inn in Asheville, wishing that my husband and I had returned instead to the Topaz.

The Topaz went above and beyond to make me feel special - the staff handwrote a note congratulating me on my nuptials, delivered a complimentary cheese plate and champagne bottle, and comped both a room upgrade and parking. Honestly, I was stunned by how wonderful they were.

We use Kimptons all the time when we travel, and while the Topaz met all our (high) expectations that we have for Kimptons, it also went above and beyond. I'm thrilled that we directed our wedding guests here, and I will be recommending it highly and enthusiastically whenever friends return to town.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Kenlyn M,

Thank you for your absolutley amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear how well the team knocked it out for you on your special day. Congratulations on your wedding! We hope you come see us again on your anniversaries.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!