“Good option in DC”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Good option in DC”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Pleasant surprise at a good price, easy walking distance to the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Smithsonian Institute and other sites. Staff were friendly and helpful, wine each night a bonus.

Would return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear TheEscapeGoat,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am glad that the location and the hotel worked out so well for you on your trip.

We hope to see you again soon.

Ryan Cimei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I like the hotel in general but the decor of the room feels a little off to me, but overall, a good solid place to stay. That being said, I recommend bringing less expensive water (there is a CVS in DuPont Circle) and other essentials for a longer stay because the options are limited - you only have the minibar and what they stock at the bar downstairs. Room service is a different company and there isn't a little store in the hotel. I also negotiated the rate down a touch by calling after booking online.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank socioqueen
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear socioqueen,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at Topaz. I am really glad that you enjoyed your time with us so much.

We hope to see you again soon.

Northern New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I spent two weekend nights at this hotel. It is located just off of DuPont Circle in a very hip neighborhood that is central to many of the popular activities in D.C. - National Mall/monuments/museums, Georgetown, etc. The neighborhood itself has a lot of character, with many cool, unique restaurants and chain conveniences (e.g., Starbucks, CVS) It is also well served by the efficient Metro underground train system.

The hotel appears to be an older hotel (or maybe apartment building conversion?) The room is sufficiently large and the bathroom has been redone but it will be evident that the bath shower is of the old school design (but nevertheless clean.) The bedding is comfortable and up to date.

The hotel had an hour (5-6 p.m.) of free wine for guests (and good wine at that!)

The rate was very attractive, less than you'd expect to pay for city accommodations.

Parking, as quoted, is a bit steep. You might find less expense options around the hotel or avoid garage parking for some of your stay if, for example, you can street park for Saturday night into Monday morning.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevator
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glorioussun
Dear glorioussun,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your weekend stay at the Topaz. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed everything and found the location to work out so well for you. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the wine hour and found the room to be so large and accommodating.

We hope to see you again.

Thanks again,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Over the last 6 or 7 years I have stayed here annually, sometimes more than once a year. The renovation is done and the desk and cleaning staff remain welcoming and efficient. Rooms are nice and the location and deal with the big YMCA around the corner are great. Small negative is the lobby, which in the winter is not adequately separated from the cold outdoors (it's a wonder the desk staff don't all come down with pneumonia). Also I think all business oriented hotels should have coffee available in the lobby all day, this one doesn't. Otherwise I really like this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms on the back and away from the elevators are best, though front is sunnier and there is little...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NDCGlobetrotter
Dear sawtoothinAmsterdam,

Thank you for the amazing review but also thank you for your loyalty to the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you enjoy our property year in and year out.

I agree with you on the lobby, the double doors and small corridor only do a minor job at keeping out the frigid air. Luckily we keep the lobby heated well.

We look forward to seeing you on your next annual trip to DC, if not sooner.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We spend five days in DC just for tourism purposes, and we were reluctant to stay in a hotel in the downtown. Dupont circle is a great area, and we were surprised because of the large number of restaurants and bars to hang out in the neighborhood. We really enjoy the location, since we don't mind to walk to visit the touristic attractions during the day (i.e. the National Mall, Arlington cemetery, etc...). The hotel is great; there are some minor details that prevent me to give it five points: the reception was quite small, the elevator buttons were a bit old and dirty... We got a king luxury room, and it was absolutely great: I have never been in a hotel room so big! (although the bathroom was a bit small). The bed was excellent, the room super clean and quiet, and the decoration 100% eclectic. All the staff was very nice, and we join the free wine taste one day: excellent plan if it is pouring outside (as it was one day during our stay). Overall, excellent stay, excellent quality/price/location relationship and for sure I will consider it again if I come back to DC.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raul B
Dear Raul B,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am glad that you decided to take a chance and come stay downtown with us. I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed your room and that you enjoyed the property and its amenities as well.

We hope you will come see us again on your next trip to DC.

Virginia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed at the Topaz for a quick two-night weekend getaway, and it was just what the doctor ordered. I requested a room on an upper floor and was delighted to discover my 9th floor room was palatial with a big bank of windows. Perfect! Plus, the bed was super comfortable, as was the couch for lounging. I especially liked the small dressing room off the bath and the office area by the windows. Better than the room, though, were the Topaz staff members, who all smiled and smiled and smiled. The weekend was rainy, so the icing on the Topaz cake was finding an umbrella in my room's closet! What a great idea! The Topaz continues my string of good stays at Kimpton Hotels.

Room Tip: I really liked the view over the rooftops from my upper-floor room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Sprocketella,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you had such a great experience and enjoyed your guest room so much. I am also delighted that the staff took such good care of you as well.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to DC. Hopefully it is not as rainy....

Thanks again,
Fresno
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Went on a 6 days girls trip to DC to do a combination of business and sightseeing and this hotel was an excellent value, had friendly staff, nice amenities like good shampoo and conditioner. The hotel is in a remodeled old building just off the heart of a happening stretch of Connecticut Ave with nightlight, cafes, excellent bookstores (Kramerbooks!) and yes, conveniently next to a Starbucks. Our room was kept well by the staff, we felt very safe walking around the area at night, and it was an easy walk from the metro station. Sign up for their rewards program: we were sent several fruit plates, bottles of wine, and a $10 credit to the mini bar. Found a black Friday steal for several nights off our stay and the money we saved was worth not staying in the heart of the national mall/smithsonian areas (the hotel's area: Dupont Circle is only 2-3 metro stops from that area). Note: this hotel does not have a pool, although they apparently contract with a nearby healthclub. We had no time to use it an

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Margaret L
Dear Margaret L,

Thank you for your great review of your girls trip stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you found the building so charming and the location worked out so well for you.

I am also very excited to hear that you enjoyed the perks of the Kimpton In Touch program so much and were able to find such a good value for your trip.

We hope you will come see us again soon.